PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu/Gmail Incompatibility

Loren Bliss
March 18th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Cursed by a dying Evolution email client that because of the nature if the malfunction will eventually destroy my entire computer, I tried signing up for Gmail as several people here recommended. But -- as it turns out -- it's impossible to do so without creating an entire litany of additional problems, which all the (blatantl;y pro-Microsoft) tech support people with whom I've spoken say is proof of "Ubuntu's increasing incompatibility with Google." Here are the problems:

(1)-I'm permanently locked out of Blogger, a devastating loss as Blogger is my primary route to my European readership. (This happened because Google robotics arbitrarily changed my sign-in credentials -- email address and password -- by deleting the email of Blogger record and replacing it with the Gmail address.) I have spent the last two days trying to find a way around this obstacle and can state with absolute certainty there is NO way to get past it.
(2)-The Gmail sign-in link is utterly unreliable, responding about 50 percent of the time as if I were seeking a Gmail account rather than trying to access an existing account;
(3)-Even were the Gmail link reliable, Google's notably unhelpful "helps" clearly state there is no way to import Evolution contacts and mail into Gmail.
(4)-Obviously the only rational solution is to cancel the Gmail account. But that too turns out to be impossible. Once one has a Gmail account, apparently it's forever.

Clearly I'm screwed, Big Time. Any suggestions?

uRock
March 18th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Cursed by a dying Evolution email client that because of the nature if the malfunction will eventually destroy my entire computer, I tried signing up for Gmail as several people here recommended. But -- as it turns out -- it's impossible to do so without creating an entire litany of additional problems, which all the (blatantl;y pro-Microsoft) tech support people with whom I've spoken say is proof of "Ubuntu's increasing incompatibility with Google." Here are the problems:

(1)-I'm permanently locked out of Blogger, a devastating loss as Blogger is my primary route to my European readership. (This happened because Google robotics arbitrarily changed my sign-in credentials -- email address and password -- by deleting the email of Blogger record and replacing it with the Gmail address.) I have spent the last two days trying to find a way around this obstacle and can state with absolute certainty there is NO way to get past it.
(2)-The Gmail sign-in link is utterly unreliable, responding about 50 percent of the time as if I were seeking a Gmail account rather than trying to access an existing account;
(3)-Even were the Gmail link reliable, Google's notably unhelpful "helps" clearly state there is no way to import Evolution contacts and mail into Gmail.
(4)-Obviously the only rational solution is to cancel the Gmail account. But that too turns out to be impossible. Once one has a Gmail account, apparently it's forever.

Clearly I'm screwed, Big Time. Any suggestions?

Ubuntu's default email client in newer releases is Thunderbird, which works flawlessly with GMail. Your problems appear to be related to Evolution and have nothing to do with Ubuntu.

Loren Bliss
March 18th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Actually I think the problems are with Google and Gmail -- especially with Google's increasing "I am god and thou shalt have no gods before me" arrogance.

Indeed the problems are manifest whether Evolution is on or off -- and my Internet server (q.com), IS (allegedly) compatible with Gmail, though in actuality it is not.

In any case, what you said doesn't give me a clue what to do about it.

uRock
March 18th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I am lost, are you having trouble logging in with a browser, if not the email client?

CharlesA
March 18th, 2012, 10:54 PM
I am lost, are you having trouble logging in with a browser, if not the email client?
As am I.

@OP: Are you able to log into gmail from your web browser?

cortman
March 18th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Sounds like OP just needs to blow off some steam. It has to be frustrating, and you have my sympathy!
But this appears primarily to be Google related trouble.
For your email client, forget Evolution and use Thunderbird. I have two gmail accounts going into TBird and they both set up perfectly the first time, and have worked fine ever since.

winh8r
March 18th, 2012, 10:57 PM
retracted

Zill
March 18th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Cursed by a dying Evolution email client that because of the nature if the malfunction will eventually destroy my entire computer, I tried signing up for Gmail as several people here recommended. But -- as it turns out -- it's impossible to do so without creating an entire litany of additional problems, which all the (blatantl;y pro-Microsoft) tech support people with whom I've spoken say is proof of "Ubuntu's increasing incompatibility with Google." ...
I am getting a strong sense of deja-vu here! In your thread of May 31st, 2011 entitled huge problem with evolution email (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1772013) you found it hard to believe that Evolution could be configured to operate with Qwest. However, with perseverance, we eventually established that, with the right configuration, Evolution performed perfectly well with Qwest. You will recall that, in this thread, I recommended ignoring "advice" from ISP tech support departments.

It now seems that you are having similar difficulties with Gmail. As I do not use Gmail, I cannot comment directly on its configuration in Evolution. However, I would be very surprised if it cannot be configured correctly. See UsingGmailWithEvolution (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingGmailWithEvolution) for more information.

I would add that I am still using Evolution regularly and it has never given me any problems.

As before, rather than making opinionated rants, I suggest it is better to break your difficulties down into small parts and then post each one as a single coherent question, with a meaningful title about the problem. Hopefully, someone in the community will then be able to give good advice. Note that you are unlikely to receive good support from ISPs or other "tech support people" as they may well be unfamiliar with our outstanding OS. ;-)

Loren Bliss
March 18th, 2012, 11:09 PM
My browser is Firefox.

Agree it's a Google problem: since I posted this, I have read elsewhere of others encountering similar problems.

Unfortunately there's no Google tech support -- and when you (try to) use Google "helps," you just get sent around in an endless circle jerk.

Despite the "dump Ubuntu" advice I keep getting from local techies (I'm out here in land of Microsoft), I have no intention of doing so -- indeed my only complaint is that damnable Evolution email client, and it sounds as if replacing it with Thunderbird -- which I'll do (and thanks for the link!) is the fix.

But anybody have any ideas what to do about Google?

Or any workable alternatives to Gmail?

Thanks...

winh8r
March 18th, 2012, 11:16 PM
retracted

uRock
March 18th, 2012, 11:27 PM
My browser is Firefox.

Agree it's a Google problem: since I posted this, I have read elsewhere of others encountering similar problems.

Unfortunately there's no Google tech support -- and when you (try to) use Google "helps," you just get sent around in an endless circle jerk.

Despite the "dump Ubuntu" advice I keep getting from local techies (I'm out here in land of Microsoft), I have no intention of doing so -- indeed my only complaint is that damnable Evolution email client, and it sounds as if replacing it with Thunderbird -- which I'll do (and thanks for the link!) is the fix.

But anybody have any ideas what to do about Google?

Or any workable alternatives to Gmail?

Thanks...What is not working in your browser when trying to connect with GMail?

Loren Bliss
March 18th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Especially Zil...since last July my Evolution automatically double-files into the Trash folder every email I transmit. Worse, these misfiled emails cannot be deleted.

This is overloading my entire computer and will -- as I have been warned by every techie with whom I've spoken -- eventually destroy the entire computer. (Whether this is BS or not I have no way to know, but as the veteran of a half-dozen computer wipe-outs, I'm intimately familiar with the near-total ruin so inflicted and hence live in dread of the impending disaster.)

In any case, previous posting on this board regarding the failure of Evolution disclosed (1) that what I'm experiencing is a common Evolution glitch; (2) that it is indeed irreparable, (3) that my best option is to turn off Evolution before it destroys the rest of my system and, (4) go to Gmail ASAP.

Also I'm VERY happy to learn -- contrary to the local Microthieves -- Ubuntu is not the problem. But I had to ask!

(Appears the problem IS the fact that when Google took over Blogger, it forced all Blogger users to acquire Google accounts as a condition of continuing to use Blogger. Having no choice I complied. At the same time, Google pressured me very hard to sign up for Gmail. I refused -- the process of refusal taking most of a day to elude various Google's pitfalls. Now though signing up for Gmail has created a situation of two utterly incompatible Google accounts -- no way to combine or synchronize them. The associated problems are infinitely worsened by Google's robotics, which arbitrarily changed my log-in credentials for Blogger, replacing the original email address with the Gmail address and thereby permanently locking me out of Blogger. (There is no possible way around this obstruction as I have spent the last two days discovering.)

Such is Google's revenge on those of us who dare resist its imperial fanaticism...

Loren Bliss
March 18th, 2012, 11:47 PM
unRock...Three specific problems: (1)-Google's robotics have locked me out of my Blogger account (see above); (2)-The Gmail sign-in link is inconsistent: sometimes it takes me directly to my gmail account; sometimes it responds as if I am seeking a Gmail account, thereby trying to force me to sign up for (another) Gmail account. There's no predicting which it will do: the error ratio is about 50:50. (3)-Gmail's import-export instructions claim compatibility with q.com, my email server, but specifically omit the requisite controls. (Google "helps" say to go to click-ons aka toggles that do not exist.)

No response from Google tech support, a problem noted by many many many critics. The only way to restore my access to Blogger is to cancel the Gmail account, but that turns out to be impossible too.

Any help, thanks in advance.

As I said before, don't think this is a Firefox problem; more likely another example of Google's outrageous imperialism.

AlexDudko
March 18th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Strange, but I use Evolution with Google and I can receive/read/write/send emails, I can import Google's calendar or share my own with my Google account.
Gmail also supports both imap and pop so it's up to you which protocol to use.

Zill
March 19th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Especially Zil...since last July my Evolution automatically double-files into the Trash folder every email I transmit. Worse, these misfiled emails cannot be deleted...
I have used Evolution all day, every day, for years now (on various PCs) and have never seen this problem.

Please post links to the bug reports you have raised on this problem, or any other relevant bug reports you have identified.

Loren Bliss
March 19th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Zill -- search my name on this discussion board, yoiu'll find two references to this problem, one in which the sole respondent says it's commonplace, another to which there were no responses at all. (Sorry no way I can post a link to anything within this board: my browser -- which functions perfectly elsewhere -- won't copy it: tried a half-dozen times.)

Zill
March 19th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Zill -- search my name on this discussion board, yoiu'll find two references to this problem, one in which the sole respondent says it's commonplace, another to which there were no responses at all. (Sorry no way I can post a link to anything within this board: my browser -- which functions perfectly elsewhere -- won't copy it: tried a half-dozen times.)
Loren Bliss: I have found your two threads, entitled Evolution Email Going Bad Fast (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1877249) and Evolution email failure (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1907587). In neither of these threads can I find a reply saying that your Evolution problem is "commonplace".

As far as copying a link is concerned, if you are using Firefox then this can be done in various ways. The easiest way is to mouse over the link, then right-click and select "Copy link location". You can then post the link to these forums (or elsewhere!) by right-click and "Paste" (or just middle-click).

The FOSS system of resolving bugs relies, not on the staff of a mega-corporation, but on a community effort involving many thousands of, often unpaid, volunteer developers. The way to start this process is for the user to raise a short bug report concisely detailing the problem, without any superfluous opinion or comment. Ubuntu bugs are initiated and tracked via the Launchpad system as described in the documentation entitled ReportingBugs (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs).

If you have been unable to locate a bug report detailing your problem, and you are convinced that this is due to a bug and not simply user error, then I suggest you should now create one to ensure work can start to resolve it. Note that simply posting complaints and opinions on this forum will not help resolve the problem. Similarly, listening to opinions from others who do not use Ubuntu on a regular basis is more likely to hinder, rather than help, resolution.

Regarding the specific problem(s) you referred to in your earlier two posts, I suggest that these can be resolved successfully. If you wish to change your email to GMail (or anyone else) then, of course, this can easily be done and it should also be quite possible to transfer your contacts and other data. None of us like typing!

However, do not feel it is necessary for you to change your email system just because you have misconfigured Evolution.

So, please let us know how you want to manage your email in future. i.e.
1) Would you prefer to use Webmail rather than a mail client?
2) If a mail client then Evolution or something else?
3) Do you use IMAP or SMTP/POP3 mail?

Loren Bliss
March 19th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Zill...sorry was away visiting friends and am now going to bed (0415 PDT), but you raise several interesting points and ask relevant questions, to which I will respond in detail tomorrow. It will be late in the PDT afternoon, however, close to early morning your time (GMT I presume). I'm letting you know now so you'll not think I abandoned the thread, Meanwhile thank you.

LB

mastablasta
March 19th, 2012, 12:56 PM
This is overloading my entire computer and will -- as I have been warned by every techie with whom I've spoken -- eventually destroy the entire computer. (Whether this is BS or not I have no way to know, but as the veteran of a half-dozen computer wipe-outs, I'm intimately familiar with the near-total ruin so inflicted and hence live in dread of the impending disaster.)

this really is BS. emails stuck in trash are just emails moved to another folder or file.

Google announced they will join accounts from their many services they previously aquired and simply the terms and agreements. this was debated onliine, wrote about and even google themselves made videos about it and websites actively notifying users about changes and what this ment for htem.

To me it makes sense. in fact i am surprised it took them so long. because i am tired of all those passwordsfor every of their service.

now your porblem is unusual i must say. as i know you use one login now which is (google) email and password. and you can the connect this to your other accounts. once they are connected it all works same as before. i have you tube pages, blogger, google+ and gmail and they all work well together. for an non profit NGO i also created google sites and google groups. also works nicely together. i use Thunderbird to access emaill occasionally and for calendar i have one of the plugins.
but mostly i just use browser (Chromium or Firefox). and using browser should work. i might need to sign in again occasionnally if browser cleared the cookies.

Loren Bliss
March 20th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Zill...response as promised:

First and to clear the air, the one respondent cited above said the email problem by which I am plagued -- direct quote -- is "a typical problem." To me, with 50-plus years as a professional journalist, about half that time as an editor (and hence responsible for maintaining prevalent standards of English usage), "typical" is synonymous with "commonplace," particularly in the given context.

Therefore my assumption it was a known glitch; therefore too that there was no reason to report it.

However, had there been such a reason, I would not have known where/how to file the report without the information you provided, for which thank you.

As to the Evolution problem itself, I am assured by two techies I had visit here -- this because of the inadequate response to my discussion board posts -- the problem cannot be fixed by any means other than deleting Evolution, which of course will obliterate all the email and contacts therein.

The core problem is not the misfiling per se; it is the fact that the misfiled material cannot be deleted -- a "cannot" proven by many many many hours of effort: mine, the two techies, one other friend far more conversant with computers than I.

(One of the techies who visited was free, a colleague who has a little experience with Linux and extensive experience with Apple and Microsoft. The other techie cost me $50, was recommended by several colleagues, and came up with exactly the same answer: there is no way to delete the rapidly accumulating misfiled emails from the Trash file.)

Obviously, if anyone else can posit a solution to this problem, please have at it.

Now as to your three questions, bf'd for clarity:

1) Would you prefer to use Webmail rather than a mail client?

My preference is for a client. BUT I am forced by circumstances to turn to some webmail system that bypasses my internet server, as Gmail would have done. This is because my former server (Comcast) and my present server (CenturyLink) have each embargoed my blog URLs in retaliation for my hard-Left/pro-Occupy Movement/avowedly Marxian politics. This -- the most common form of "non-existent" U.S. Internet censorship -- means I cannot send email notices of new posts to subscribers. (I have two blog servers, TypePad and Blogger; the latter is for my Eastern European readers, mainly Russians, who due to the peculiarities of the European Internet seemingly have difficulty accessing me via TypePad but no problem via Blogger.)

My intent during this computer-stolen weekend -- actually 36 hours of total frustration starting midday Friday -- was (A) to subscribe to Gmail; (B) disconnect Evolution; and (C) import my Evolution files (mail and contacts) into Gmail. All efforts failed.

Worse, some robotic peculiarity of the Gmail account locked me out of my Blogger account. Finally I realized the only solution was to cancel the Gmail account, which I did, thereby gaining readmission to Blogger.

(RELEVANT RANT: The entire weekend was thus squandered, and two important tasks were delayed until next week. This is (yet another) example of why computer operation is truly the most frustrating, ultimately the most infuriating experience of my entire life. What makes it even worse is my understanding of the core principle of computing -- the base-two number system -- is absolutely no help at all.)

If and only if Evolution can be repaired, I'd rather keep it simply because I'm familiar with it.. BUT -- based on Gmail's online Helps, it is utterly incompatible with Gmail. Or so those online Helps maintain. (Actually, the Helps do not cite Evolution by name; they merely state that if it isn't listed, it isn't compatible.)

I recognize the terms as variables I needed to adjust for when I was running Microsoft's Outlook. I have no idea what the acronyms mean or how they might apply to Evolution or Gmail.

Your turn now...and again my many many thanks.

LB

winh8r
March 20th, 2012, 10:50 AM
retracted

Zill
March 20th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Loren: Thanks for the reply - wordy as ever. ;-) Let's try to keep things short and simple to help process what to do...

...As to the Evolution problem itself, I am assured by two techies I had visit here -- this because of the inadequate response to my discussion board posts -- the problem cannot be fixed by any means other than deleting Evolution, which of course will obliterate all the email and contacts therein.
Neither point is true. Please ignore what any and all "techies" have told you unless they have an in-depth knowledge of Ubuntu. Linux systems totally separate all programs from data so you can delete/upgrade/replace Evolution while still retaining your data intact. Very occasionally, data formats change with a program version upgrade but they usually remain unchanged for years. In your case, uninstalling and reinstalling the same version of Evolution should simply mean that it starts up exactly as you left it, with all the same data. Any "gremlins" in your old Evolution program will have gone as you will have a "new" program. Having said that, I doubt if this is the cause of your problem but you need to know the relationship between program files and data files.

...The core problem is not the misfiling per se; it is the fact that the misfiled material cannot be deleted -- a "cannot" proven by many many many hours of effort: mine, the two techies, one other friend far more conversant with computers than I...
Again, ignore the "techies"! Your PC does not have a file on it that you cannot delete! We can discuss the various techniques to delete "reluctant" files later if necessary.

...1) Would you prefer to use Webmail rather than a mail client?

My preference is for a client...

If and only if Evolution can be repaired, I'd rather keep it simply because I'm familiar with it...

I recognize the terms as variables I needed to adjust for when I was running Microsoft's Outlook. I have no idea what the acronyms mean or how they might apply to Evolution or Gmail...
As my tinfoil hat is in for repair, I would rather stay clear of politics if you don't mind. ;-) Let's just get your mail client working properly. Please now give short and simple responses to the following three questions - without any added "opinion":

1) Open a Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T), paste the following code and hit enter:

cat /etc/lsb-release
Using the mouse, select all the text in the Terminal and paste (middle-click) the output text back to your reply in these forums. If you click on the "#" icon in the forum editor this will wrap "CODE" tags around the text to make it more readable.

2) Still in the terminal, paste the following code and hit enter:

evolution --version
Using the mouse, select the text output in the Terminal and paste (middle-click) the output text back to your reply in these forums. If you click on the "#" icon in the forum editor this will wrap "CODE" tags around the text to make it more readable.

3) Do you prefer to use CenturyLink, Gmail or someone else as your primary email provider? I know you suspect your email was "censored" by your ISP but it is possible that this effect was simply due to misconfiguration of Evolution. It could be worth trying again!

dave2001
March 20th, 2012, 02:38 PM
(One of the techies who visited was free, a colleague who has a little experience with Linux and extensive experience with Apple and Microsoft. The other techie cost me $50, was recommended by several colleagues, and came up with exactly the same answer: there is no way to delete the rapidly accumulating misfiled emails from the Trash file.)

This is (yet another) example of why computer operation is truly the most frustrating, ultimately the most infuriating experience of my entire life.

First: Any "techies" who told you evolution cannot be deleted without first exporting your contact data, or that a file on a linux system (in the trash no less) cannot be deleted, is NOT familiar enough with linux OS or linux applications to provide any useful advice.

I'm not trying to be snarky here; I am glad to see your trying to use linux and open source software to accomplish your goals. As you yourself have surmised, these issues are not really "bugs", but issues resulting from your own lack of understanding about how these programs work. Computers can indeed be frustrating, but they can also be wonderfully helpful! I've gotten better support on the Ubuntu forums than I have from ANY paid "technical support" department. So keep coming back here when you have problems! Also, as Zill pointed out.. this is a forum, not a blog, so keeping your posts short and to-the-point might help you get more responses.

@Zill

As my tinfoil hat is in for repair, I would rather stay clear of politics if you don't mind.
ROFL... thanks i needed a chuckle this morning.

mastablasta
March 20th, 2012, 03:29 PM

I recognize the terms as variables I needed to adjust for when I was running Microsoft's Outlook. I have no idea what the acronyms mean or how they might apply to Evolution or Gmail.

If i may in simple words and as these thing matter to user....

POP3 will download the mail you receive on server down to your computer. while doing so it will usually empty the server of your emails. or in other words you remove them from server and put them on your mashcine.

this is convenient if you work offline often (i.e. not connected to internet) or if you don't have access to stable or 24h connection.in this case all your emails (received, sent etc) are then on your computer. you also need to keep backup of them.

IMAP - this method will leave emails on server and you see only "and image" of what is on server. the good side is that server (usually=) takes care of backups. you can access your emails from any mashcine (even if it's not yours). the downside is that you need to be online to see the emails. so not very convenient mehtod if you use limited broadband, some wi.fi you don't have 24/7 access to or a phone modem.

Zill
March 20th, 2012, 09:15 PM
...My preference is for a client. BUT I am forced by circumstances to turn to some webmail system that bypasses my internet server, as Gmail would have done. This is because my former server (Comcast) and my present server (CenturyLink) have each embargoed my blog URLs...
I have just re-read the thread and wanted to correct a misconception...

Your PC(s) will be connected to the internet via your chosen Internet Service Provider (ISP). From your comments I believe that this is Qwest, which is now part of CenturyLink.

Your ISP will offer various services, including web access via http/https. This service will allow you to view and interact with web pages via your preferred web browser(s).

Additionally, most ISPs also offer mail services. These services may be delivered in various ways, such as via their own webmail system to your web browser and/or by IMAP or SMTP/POP3 systems to an email client application on your PC, such as Evolution.

As already stated, webmail and IMAP services leave the mail on the ISP server and you simply view and control it from your web browser. This mail remains on the ISP server until you actively delete it.

Alternatively, POP3 delivers mail from your ISP server to your email client on your PC for viewing and storage. Note that after mail has been delivered it is no longer on the ISP server. The SMTP service operates in the opposite direction, sending mail from your email client to the ISP SMTP server for onward delivery.

Although I have not confirmed this, I guess your ISP will offer similar mail services and you will need to select which is your preferred method.

Regarding Gmail, this is primarily a web-based email system similar to that run by ISPs. However, using Gmail does not bypass your "internet server" as it still goes through your ISP as another web service. As long as you are connected to the internet via your ISP everything must go through it.

The situation with Gmail is further complicated as, although is is primarily a webmail system, I understand that POP3/SMTP servers are also provided to allow access to Gmail via a local email client, such as Evolution.

So, you pays yer money and takes yer choice! Just don't think that you can send or receive emails from home without them going through your ISP. ;-)

Loren Bliss
March 20th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Zill...response to your (1):

loren@loren-ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS"
loren@loren-ubuntu:~$

Loren Bliss
March 20th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Zill...response to your (2):

loren@loren-ubuntu:~$ evolution --version
GNOME evolution 2.28.3
loren@loren-ubuntu:~$

many thanks

Loren Bliss
March 20th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Zill...response to your (3):

Doubt the problem is Evolution configuration. Here's why:

The embargo was confirmed by CenturyLink, which claimed it would lift it but did not.

This happened perhaps a half-dozen times with Comcast c. 2009-2011, but each time Comcast lifted the embargo in response to my complaints.

CenturyLink merely lies: claims to lift the embargo but does not.

Self-testing -- that is, sending emails to myself -- show the blog URLs are blocked when sent via CenturyLink, but arrive when sent via Gmail or some other server, for example ATT.

Likewise, I can send the URLs via internal email systems, utilizing the "contact us" drop-downs or pop-ups provided by various websites, as for example Truthout or FireDogLake.

Hope this helps.

Again muchas gracias. .

Zill
March 20th, 2012, 10:46 PM
...Self-testing -- that is, sending emails to myself -- show the blog URLs are blocked when sent via CenturyLink, but arrive when sent via Gmail or some other server, for example ATT...
Thank you for the three replies. This helps establish exactly which versions of Ubuntu and Evolution you are currently using.

Although I am struggling with the concept of embargos and blocking of emails in the "land of the free", I reluctantly accept that this is your belief. On this basis, am I correct in thinking that you would prefer to use Evolution with Gmail, rather than your ISP mail account?

While I have never used Gmail, I understand this can be used purely as a Webmail service, via your browser, or also with a POP3/SMTP email client such as Evolution.

As a starting point, I suggest you verify that you can log-in to the Gmail webmail service via a browser such as Firefox. Then see if you can send an email to yourself via Gmail to verify webmail works correctly. Make sure you keep an accurate record of the Gmail username/password that works. ;-)

Once done, we can progress to repairing your "damaged" Evolution and configure it for your Gmail account.

Loren Bliss
March 20th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Zill...this too might help. Here's a screenshot of the error notice (lower left) Evolution Trash generates when it refuses to delete the misfiled Sent files:

(Well, I tried: none of the above controls would allow me to include the screenshot image, either as an attachment or a paste-in. I do have the screenshot in my documents; if you can tell me how to get it to you, I will.)

Loren Bliss
March 20th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Zill...Yes my Firefox easily allows me to log into Google, but when I sign up for Gmail, it locks me out of my (Google-owned) Blogger account. This is because the sign-in credentials for my Blogger account are based on my q.com email address. But Google automatically replaces the q.com email address with the Gmail address, thereby creating an impassible barrier. And there is no, say again NO, Google tech support, so there's no help available. That's why I cancelled the Gmail account: no other way to get back into Blogger.

Hence for now let's concentrate on repairing Evolution.

Maximum thanks!

Zill
March 21st, 2012, 12:08 AM
...(Well, I tried: none of the above controls would allow me to include the screenshot image, either as an attachment or a paste-in. I do have the screenshot in my documents; if you can tell me how to get it to you, I will.)
While you are editing a new message, you should see a small "paperclip" icon in the top row (with a tooltip called "Attachments"). If you click on the paperclip, a new dialog box should open up entitled "Manage Attachments. In the section headed Upload File from your computer you can click on a "Browse" button to take you to a file-manager window. Locate your screenshot file and click "Open".

Loren Bliss
March 21st, 2012, 12:23 AM
Screenshot won't upload. Error message is "invalid file."

My documents are in Open Office Word, which often -- at least 50 percent of the time -- cannot be opened by people with other word processing software.

Zill
March 21st, 2012, 12:29 AM
Zill...Yes my Firefox easily allows me to log into Google, but when I sign up for Gmail, it locks me out of my (Google-owned) Blogger account. This is because the sign-in credentials for my Blogger account are based on my q.com email address. But Google automatically replaces the q.com email address with the Gmail address, thereby creating an impassible barrier. And there is no, say again NO, Google tech support, so there's no help available. That's why I cancelled the Gmail account: no other way to get back into Blogger.

I don't understand when you say you can log into to Google. There is no necessity to login to Google just to use Search. Personally, I do not have any Google accounts but my understanding is that Google uses a single login for all their services. i.e. If you do login to Google then I would have thought you would automatically have access to your Gmail account. Similarly, I would have thought that you would also have access to your Blogger account.

However, I will leave it to others who actually use Google services to advise properly on this.

Regarding your Blogger account. If this doesn't automatically follow the Google/Gmail login then can't you change the email address to Gmail within the Blogger control panel or whatever they call it? I suggest the objective is to use a single email address for all your Google services.

Having said that, I am happy to concentrate on repairing Evolution but in order to do this you really need to decide who you are going to use for your email service. i.e. q.com or Gmail. While it is possible to define two email services in Evolution, I suggest that would just be another level of confusion at the moment. So, let's keep it simple and decide on one or the other initially to get things working smoothly.

Zill
March 21st, 2012, 12:34 AM
Screenshot won't upload. Error message is "invalid file."

My documents are in Open Office Word, which often -- at least 50 percent of the time -- cannot be opened by people with other word processing software.
To get a screenshot all you need to do is hit the "PrtScr" key on your keyboard. This will then save a .png file which is suitable for the forums.

"PrtScr" key on its own will save a screenshot of the complete Desktop. If you just want a screenshot of the Active Window then just hit Alt-PrtScr instead.

Loren Bliss
March 21st, 2012, 12:39 AM
That's exactly how I got the "invalid" screenshot: print screen > name > save in folder > save

Loren Bliss
March 21st, 2012, 12:47 AM
Just realized it's 23:44 GMT; lemme know when you want to knock off for the night and we can continue tomorrow. Again thanks!

Zill
March 21st, 2012, 12:16 PM
That's exactly how I got the "invalid" screenshot: print screen > name > save in folder > save
Then your file is .png format, not "Open Office Word" which has a default document format of .odt. Of course, this can be changed to other formats such as the Microsoft .doc format etc.

I have just saved a .png example screenshot and uploaded it as described here. Interestingly, my original .png file seems to have been translated by the forum software to .jpg. However, it does seem to work so I can only suggest you try again.

Pedantic note: "Open Office Word" is actually called "OpenOffice.org Writer".

muteXe
March 21st, 2012, 12:22 PM
I think that the issue is that you can't log into more than one gmail account at the same time on one machine.
Is that the crux of it?

dave2001
March 21st, 2012, 12:22 PM

It sounds like this is a completely different problem, but I just wanted to let you know I've never had any problems, and I use both OO-Writer and MS-Word. If you want extra compatibility with Word, save your OO documents as .doc or .docx

When exactly in the screenshot process do you get an "invalid file" message? When attempting to upload onto the forums?

Make sure your using the paperclip "attachments" button on the upper middle of your forum posting window. Also make sure your image file is smaller than the maximum size listed in the attachments window.

ginestre
March 21st, 2012, 12:34 PM
"As to the Evolution problem itself, the problem cannot be fixed by any means other than deleting Evolution, which of course will obliterate all the email and contacts therein."

No; you can back up everything within Evolution, including mail and contacts, delete the installation of Evolution (thus presumably solving the problem) and reinstall a fresh clean copy. Then upload your backup, and Bob's your uncle.

However, I've used gmail on gmail and as the mail management system (ie, mailserver) on my own domain, on ubuntu, for two years with no problems. As long as you follow the google instructions to permit multiple sign on it works fine.

mastablasta
March 21st, 2012, 12:46 PM

Maximum thanks!

logout/signout from your new google account, and sign in. type in the necessary address and password.

you can also switch between multiple acocunts. but only one will be working at time. the easiest would be to get into oyur blogger acocunt, change the meial to google mail and then simply use that one.

suggets you use SMTP (works great in thunderbird and outlook i belive works well as well). and google stores all you emails and has a large space available.

additonally you "embargo" might be because you didn't type in the correct port in the mail settings. had a similar thing happen until i found out i needed to add the port number next to the server. since then it all works perfectly.

i believe thunderbid is more advanced with plenty good plugins available. and it doesn't look that different from evolution.

Zill
March 21st, 2012, 04:28 PM
Loren: Just to help us proceed in the right direction I would appreciate your answer to my earlier question in post #22 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11779930&postcount=22):
3) Do you prefer to use CenturyLink, Gmail or someone else as your primary email provider? I know you suspect your email was "censored" by your ISP but it is possible that this effect was simply due to misconfiguration of Evolution. It could be worth trying again!
You seem to imply that you prefer to use Gmail, rather than CenturyLink/Qwest but it would be useful if you would confirm this.

Regarding your "Trash" problem, I trust you have read the documentation on your system entitled "Evolution 2.28 User Guide". Specifically para "2.1.9. Deleting Mail" explains how the Trash system operates:

When you press Delete or click the Trash folder, your mail is not actually deleted, but is marked for deletion. Your e-mail is recoverable until you have expunged your mail. When you expunge a folder, you remove all the mail that you have marked for deletion. To show deleted messages, uncheck Hide Deleted Messages option from the View menu. You can view the messages striken off for later deletion. You can also find deleted messages in your Trash folder.

To permanently erase all the deleted messages in a folder, click Folder > Expunge or press Ctrl+E.

Trash folders in GroupWise, local and IMAP accounts are actually virtual search folders that display all messages you have marked for later deletion. Hence, emptying your Trash is nothing but expunging deleted mail from all your folders in the account.

The Ubuntu Help Centre is found via your System, Help & Support menu. Just type "evolution" in the search box and then select the entry entitled "Evolution 2.28 User Guide" to open the document.

Zill
March 21st, 2012, 08:40 PM
Loren: Regarding your Gmail account please note that Google advise (http://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=27441)...

...You can create a Google Account by going to the Account Creation page, or by clicking the Create an account button on the top-right corner of any Google sign-in page. You can use your Google Account with all Google products, so once you create an account -- regardless of whether you do it through the Account Creation page or through a specific product’s sign-in page -- you can use that username and password with any Google product...
So all you need to do is make sure all your Google products (eg. Blogger etc) use the same email address (change any that are currently different).

Loren Bliss
March 21st, 2012, 11:57 PM
Zill...trying again with the screenshot:

This time it loaded but now I can't find a way to get it from the "Manage Attachments" file into this email matrix.

Loren Bliss
March 22nd, 2012, 12:02 AM
Oh...duh...I see it loaded automatically.

Sometimes even I am astounded by my own ignorance. O:)

Zill
March 22nd, 2012, 12:48 AM
Loren: Re the Trash problem, I suggest you try the following:

1) Close Evolution (very important!)
2) Open a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t), then paste in the following code and hit enter.

mv ~/.evolution/mail/local/folders.db ~/.evolution/mail/local/folders.db_old

3) Restart Evolution
4) Wait a short while for Evolution to reindex files.
5) Try to Expunge the Trash

What this exercise does is to rename the Evolution data file "folders.db" to "folders.db_old". As Evolution will not find this file when it starts up, it will automatically generate a new "folders.db" file. If the original "folders.db" was corrupted then this should create a "clean" file.

If there are any problems with this then you can always go back to the original configuration, with the original "folders.db" file, simply by reversing the code in point 2) above.

Loren Bliss
March 22nd, 2012, 02:22 AM
Zill...

YES!!!

The trash is now emptied of all the Sents (1600 something) misfiled since 28 July 2011.

THANK YOU!!!

Now as to the GMail problem:

What you suggest is very logical and is exactly what I tried to do -- after I finally figured out how to bypass the Gmail lock-out (an unbelievably difficult and frustrating process).

But Blogger will not accept an internal change from q.com to Gmail. It insists I create a new Blogger account for the new Gmail address. This will wipe out access to everything I ever posted on Blogger because -- this according to Blogger's own people -- there's no way to link an old blog to a new one.

This is a problem with TypePad too. TypePad banished me in August, then invited me back with a lifetime membership in December, so there's four months of posts on Blogger I'd like to transfer to TypePad but have no way to do so. (Interestingly, it was posting on Blogger I acquired my 100 or so European readers.)

Anyway at least the Evolution problem is solved.

Zill
March 22nd, 2012, 12:43 PM
...The trash is now emptied of all the Sents (1600 something) misfiled since 28 July 2011...
...Anyway at least the Evolution problem is solved.
Well done!

Unfortunately, I believe you still need to resolve the problem of misfiling, where sent items were automatically copied to the Trash. I suggest you send a test email to yourself and verify if this is still happening. If not then we can cross this one off but if duplication is still occurring then we need to investigate why, otherwise your Trash will fill up again unnecessarily.

I suggest you open Evolution, Edit, Message Filters. See if any filters are shown in the "Filter Rules" box. By default, this should show any "Incoming" filters. Please change the pull-down selection to "Outgoing" and see if any filters are shown there.

If any Incoming or Outgoing filters are present (i.e. anything at all in the Filter Rules box) then please take a screendump(s) (as discussed earlier) and post back here.

Also, if any filters are present then please highlight the filter(s), click on the Edit button and post back a screenshot(s) of the resulting filter data.

Zill
March 22nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
...Now as to the GMail problem:

...But Blogger will not accept an internal change from q.com to Gmail. It insists I create a new Blogger account for the new Gmail address. This will wipe out access to everything I ever posted on Blogger because -- this according to Blogger's own people -- there's no way to link an old blog to a new one...
I do not use Blogger or any other blogging service so cannot comment directly. However, a quick websearch reveals that it should be quite possible to change your email address for Blogger.

Again, to avoid confusion, I suggest you have to decide on a single login gmailaddress/password to use for all your Google services, including Blogger. Then you simply need to ensure that each Google service uses this information.

This article, entitled How to change email address for Blogger login (http://www.bloggertipsandtricks.com/2009/08/how-to-change-email-address-for-blogger.html), together with the (many!) associated comments, should explain exactly how to do this.

When you are happy that you have got a single Google gmailaddress/password then, presumably, you will wish to configure Evolution for this account. Just post back when you reach this point and we can proceed.

Loren Bliss
March 23rd, 2012, 12:12 AM
Zill (again with thanks)...

Evolution is working fine -- no misfiling,

Will now try to sort out the Blogger problem using the link you provided.

Since I also have a blog post to write, I won;t be back here until tomorrow.

"See" you then, hopefully to sort out the Gmail issues.

Meanwhile (more) thanks.

Loren Bliss
March 23rd, 2012, 02:31 AM
Zill/All...

I tried to post a detailed question on the Blogger helps thread to which Zill provided the link. Got a popup saying my comment "will be visible after approval." (See screenshot.)

Two hours later, nothing. No question; no response.

What the hell kind of a discussion board is this?

I give up.

Paqman
March 23rd, 2012, 03:23 AM
What the hell kind of a discussion board is this?

Possibly one run by someone who lives where it's night time and they're asleep? Give it at least 24 hours before writing it off.

I have my blog set up the same way. I'd like to think I approve most comments within a few hours if they're made in sociable hours, but sometimes life gets in the way.

Zill
March 23rd, 2012, 12:02 PM
I tried to post a detailed question on the Blogger helps thread to which Zill provided the link. Got a popup saying my comment "will be visible after approval."...
Please remember that this is primarily an Ubuntu support forum intended to resolve Ubuntu software problems. Blogger, and other web services, are clearly outside this remit.

In order to get your Google Gmail working with Evolution, we first need to know that you have a working Gmail address and password. To help this process, I have suggested that you standardise on one Gmail address across all your Google services. To do this you may need to modify your Blogger details and I have provided a link explaining how to do this. If you are still having problems with Blogger then I respectfully suggest that this is not the correct forum to complain to.

Please post back if/when you are able to use a Gmail address and password to log in and use Gmail webmail via your web browser.

Loren Bliss
March 24th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Zill...

No complaints with this forum -- none whatsoever -- was just making the point that without a response from Blogger I'm dead in the proverbial water here.

The "what the hell kind of a discussion board is this" referred to Blogger not Ubuntu, and my apology for the confusion.

FYI, Blogger is notoriously user unfriendly (anti-intuitive) -- many times worse since it became part of the Google empire -- and its non-responsive discussion boards are a big part of the problem.

I'd drop Blogger completely were it not necessary to reach Eastern European readers.

Loren Bliss
March 24th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Zill...

Oh and one more thing:

There's almost no documentation aboard this computer -- long story about an always problematical "gift" that in reality was an irrationally jealous computer-expert's truly devious revenge against the old journalist who dared befriend the computer expert's intellectually starved wife.

Of course I can access various online helps, but the Evolution user's guide is missing as is ALL the Gimp documentation, likewise absent is anything more than basic helps with Word. (Note my Word problem with photo boarders a year ago, still unsolved.)

Apropos Gimp, I was an extremely able darkroom tech back in the day -- such skills were required of all working photogs including reporter/photogs like myself -- hence I'm able to pretty much fumble through, but would nevertheless appreciate having the material.

Any way to download the missing documentation?

Again thanks...

(No useful response yet on the Blogger board, and from past exdperience I doubt there will ever be one. My question was finally approved, but the only reply suggests my only alternative is to run multiple browsers, one for each Google account, something I have no intention of doing: too complicated, too many opportunities for error, too much wasted memory, too much writing time stolen by computer problems.)

Zill
March 24th, 2012, 10:45 PM
...No complaints with this forum -- none whatsoever -- was just making the point that without a response from Blogger I'm dead in the proverbial water here.

The "what the hell kind of a discussion board is this" referred to Blogger not Ubuntu, and my apology for the confusion...
I fully understand you were referring to Blogger, not Ubuntu. My point is that it is not a concern of users on this forum that you are having difficulty using Blogger as this is not an Ubuntu application or service.

Your Blogger problem is something you will have to resolve yourself, although I understand that you did actually receive advice on the Blogger board that you have chosen to ignore.

In my view, you are unlikely to receive significant help with Blogger on this forum so my strong recommendation is that you do not post back here on this subject until/unless you resolve your own Google/Gmail/Blogger difficulties.

Zill
March 24th, 2012, 11:09 PM
...There's almost no documentation aboard this computer...

...Of course I can access various online helps, but the Evolution user's guide is missing as is ALL the Gimp documentation...
Please open the following menu and post a screendump (see example)
System > Help and Support - type "evolution" into the search box

Please open the following menu and post a screendump (see example)
System > Help and Support - type "gimp" into the search box

... likewise absent is anything more than basic helps with Word. (Note my Word problem with photo boarders a year ago, still unsolved.)
"Word" is not a Linux application! "OpenOffice.org Writer" is the equivalent Ubuntu Lucid application.

...Any way to download the missing documentation?
AIUI, Evolution help documentation is installed by default with the application. The test outlined above should verify if it is present or not.

As far as Gimp is concerned, open the Synaptic package manager and search for "gimp" and you should find "gimp-help-common" and "gimp-help-en" listed. If these two packages are not currently installed then just install them with Synaptic (or apt-get cli) and your documentation should be present.

Loren Bliss
March 25th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Zill...

Apropos my Blogger comment, I (of course) understand what you say. My purpose was to extend you the courtesy of a concluding response to the favor you did me by providing the link. No more than that. (When for example I send someone to the library for a book they need for academic work, I very much appreciate it if they let me know the book is no longer available or requires a long take-a-number wait to get.)

Apropos browsers, I (1) had no idea it was possible to run more than one; (2) have no idea how to go about it; (3) thought Ubuntu allowed me only Firefox; (4) have no idea how to find -- or download -- another browser; and (mostly) am (5) desperately afraid of shutting down my whole computer by somehow screwing up the process. Hence the "advice" I have "chosen to ignore."

Pretty hard to do something I've no idea how to do.

Apropos "Open Office Writer" -- which this machine's Applications pop-up menu identifies as "Open Office.org Word Processor" (maybe a difference between U.S. and British versions?) -- please provide information as to how to download the documentation.

Apropos the rest, I'm setting aside the entire day tomorrow to deal with these and sundry other computer issues.

Again thank you.

Zill
March 25th, 2012, 12:03 PM
...Apropos my Blogger comment, I (of course) understand what you say. My purpose was to extend you the courtesy of a concluding response to the favor you did me by providing the link...
I understand and appreciate the courtesy. However, as has been pointed out, the Ubuntu Forums are not a "blog" but are simply a technical resource where brevity is highly valued. As such, long-winded opinions are not really appropriate. Short and meaningful technical questions are all that is required, followed by equally concise responses.

...Apropos browsers, I (1) had no idea it was possible to run more than one; (2) have no idea how to go about it; (3) thought Ubuntu allowed me only Firefox; (4) have no idea how to find -- or download -- another browser; and (mostly) am (5) desperately afraid of shutting down my whole computer by somehow screwing up the process. Hence the "advice" I have "chosen to ignore..."
(1) - Run as many as you like (Firefox, Epiphany, Opera, Chrome etc)
(2) - Read up on this and follow the instructions!
(3) - Ubuntu includes default applications - you are not restricted to these!
(4) - Don't download directly - use the repos via the Ubuntu Software Centre, Synaptic or apt-get.
(5) - Keep regular backups of your data - then if you break it a quick reinstall and data restore brings everything right back.

From your posts I understand that you do a lot of writing. May I now respectfully suggest that you also do some reading! Everything you have listed here is an FAQ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAQ) and, as you have been registered here since Jun 2010, you should, IMHO, have worked out the basics by now.

A wealth of documentation is installed on your PC by default and even more documentation is available via the web. By default, your PC has the Firefox web browser installed, which can be used to access any search engine. If you type relevant words into a search engine then it should return some meaningful responses. eg. If you type the words "ubuntu installing software" into Google you will see a link such as InstallingSoftware (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware), which is the Ubuntu Community Documentation (https://help.ubuntu.com/) howto (click on the links to see these pages).

...Pretty hard to do something I've no idea how to do...
On these forums, we all understand that everyone has different levels of ability and we bend-over backwards to try to help those struggling. Having said that, we do expect users to make some effort to learn about their systems and read-up on their problems before posting a "help me"! IMHO, it is unreasonable to expect another volunteer user on these forums (as we all are!) to explain over and over again something which is clearly already explained in many existing documents.

When you consider that, in addition to the documentation, many of these questions have already been answered multiple times on these forums, this makes us even more reluctant to answer these questions yet again! The "search" facility is there for a reason. ;-)

...Apropos "Open Office Writer" -- which this machine's Applications pop-up menu identifies as "Open Office.org Word Processor" (maybe a difference between U.S. and British versions?) -- please provide information as to how to download the documentation.
"Open Office.org Word Processor" is the functional description for the package "openoffice.org-writer". If you open your Synaptic package manager and search for "openoffice" you will see "openoffice.org-writer" listed as installed.

You will also see "openoffice.org-help-en-us" listed. To install all the help documentation for the OpenOffice suite, simply install this package via Synaptic by clicking the box on the left to "Mark for Installation" and then hitting the "Apply" button.

Zill
March 26th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Loren: If you are still convinced that "There's almost no documentation aboard this computer" then please advise and we can try to resolve this. As a starting point, please post the two screendumps I requested in post #58 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11791065&postcount=58).

FYI, here is a link to Ubuntu Guide for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) (http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid).

This is quite a useful resource that should give you some guidance on the various aspects of using Ubuntu. If you use "Ctrl-f" in your browser page, this will open a search box allowing you to search for any word in the document. For example, "Ctrl-f", "synaptic" will highlight the first instance of "synaptic" and you can then use the "Previous" and "Next" buttons to learn more about using the Synaptic Package Manager.

HTH.

Loren Bliss
March 27th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Zill...

I don't use FAQs more often because I'm usually at a total loss as to how to phrase the question -- or even whether the question is prompted by a real problem or simply by my own ignorance of computer operation.

In response to your foregoing comments, which make it clear I am less than welcome on this board, please remember that for me computers are (1) alien invaders from a non-Newtonian, anti-intuitive universe. They are also (2) electronic scabs that stole five of every six jobs in print journalism, thereby destroying the field in I spent most of my adult life; (3) the destroyer of print media in general; (4) the most damnably complicated typewriter ever invented; and thus (5) the greatest thief of productive time I have ever encountered. This is because the time I spend figuring out how to bypass the complications is time stolen from writing. In fact the ratio is about 4:1 -- four hours of fighting the computer for every one hour of writing or editing, whether for me or the organizations I serve as an unpaid volunteer. Since I am 72 years old and not in the best of health, that stolen time is, to say the least, vexing. Not that I expect you or anyone else on this board to give a damn; in general I find computer people to be avowed social Darwinists, often heartlessly Ayn-Rand-minded as well.

Apropos the one lingering technical question, Despite CenturyLink's defiant refusal to lift it's now-thrice-acknowledged embargo, I have decided for the moment to stay with web mail; there's more than enough technical information here to keep me busy for some time.

For which -- as I have said before -- many thanks. Hopefully I'll not have to trouble anyone here again.

Zill
March 27th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I don't use FAQs more often because I'm usually at a total loss as to how to phrase the question...
As a starting point don't use specific phrases - simply enter the key words relating to your problem into the search box in, for example, Google web searches or Ubuntu forums. If you include the word "ubuntu" in web searches this should help ensure the right results.

In response to your foregoing comments, which make it clear I am less than welcome on this board...
I am sorry that you have misinterpreted my comments. You are always welcome to post technical questions (relating to Ubuntu) on Ubuntu forums. I have tried to clarify that there is a substantial difference between a blog, where verbosity may be appropriate, and a technical forum, where brevity is best!

All I can suggest now is that you take the time to re-read this thread from the beginning. There is a lot of good information that may help you resolve your problem(s). If you also read the information on your system and elsewhere then this will also aid your understanding. Please post back with specifics if you need any further assistance.