PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless issues + terminal features(vim etc)

nbcormier
March 18th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I just dual booted Ubuntu 11.10 along-side of windows 7. This is my first unix-like install ive done and other wireless posts really havent applied to my issue. I'm using a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E420.

While in Ubuntu, there are no wireless connections listed at all. Do I need to go into the terminal for this?

Secondly, what usual unix features are not automatically set up in the terminal from install? For instance, I know that text editors are not, I tried to open up a vim file and it didnt let me. How can I get my terminal working like a fully functioning Unix terminal?

Thanks alot,
nbcormier

sandyd
March 18th, 2012, 05:59 PM
I just dual booted Ubuntu 11.10 along-side of windows 7. This is my first unix-like install ive done and other wireless posts really havent applied to my issue. I'm using a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E420.

While in Ubuntu, there are no wireless connections listed at all. Do I need to go into the terminal for this?

Secondly, what usual unix features are not automatically set up in the terminal from install? For instance, I know that text editors are not, I tried to open up a vim file and it didnt let me. How can I get my terminal working like a fully functioning Unix terminal?

Thanks alot,
nbcormier
Your wireless is a Centrino Wireless-N 1000. Should work out of the box if you have linux-firmware package installed. If you don't, download it from another computer, and install it.

Its the

/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-1000-3.ucode
/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-1000-5.ucode

firmware blobs.

You might want to use nano instead.