PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Are Downloaded Ubuntu Latest Versions updated?

Sleepy-zz-John
March 18th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Hi, Here's a rather basic question that reveals my ignorance!

When a new version of Ubuntu comes out, I usually download and burn a CD soon after the original release, install it, and then install all the updates as they're issued throughout the subsequent months.

If I should have occasion to do a new installation during those subsequent months, I would start with my original CD and then, depending on how far into the lifetime of that particular version we were, find I had a very substantial volume of updates to do on it.

My question is, suppose we were let's say 4 or 5 months beyond the original version's release date, and suppose I were to re-download and burn a new CD of that release, would that CD incorporate the updates that had been issued in the meantime, or would it be identical to my original CD, and hence require the same substantial volume of updates I mention in my paragraph above?

In other words, would it be worth re-downloading and burning a new CD if I already had an original CD and we were several months since the original release?

I ask this because there are times when I'm on limited 3G internet dongle access, that downloading a large volume of updates would blow my small monthly Gbyte allocation.

2F4U
March 18th, 2012, 07:47 AM
No, the iso files are not updated, except when a really serious bug is found. If you install a four month old image you have to apply all the updates since the time of release.

Sleepy-zz-John
March 18th, 2012, 09:23 AM
OK, thanks for that 2F4U. So in that case, it looks like it's better, if possible, to wait for the next release which presumably will incorporate most of the bug fixes from the previous.

Elfy
March 18th, 2012, 09:25 AM
LTS releases get updated during their life.

Sleepy-zz-John
March 18th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Ah, right Forestpiskie, so unlike other releases, it would be well worth re-downloading and burning a new CD in case of doing a new installation months or years after the LTS's original release. Thanks. That's worth knowing. I wonder why I didn't pick that gem of info up before??

howefield
March 18th, 2012, 11:36 AM
it would be well worth re-downloading and burning a new CD in case of doing a new installation months or years after the LTS's original release.

The release schedule for 12.04 (the next LTS) is here, including the first few point releases, bear in mind that the dates may be subject to change.

You can also keep a copy of your updates and downloaded .deb packages which are kept in /var/cache/apt/archives and reuse them.

grahammechanical
March 18th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Please pardon my ignorance but for the sake of clarity --

I do not think that the ISO of an LTS is updated daily. Using this release schedule

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDebdeltaSupport

I would say that new updated ISO images for 12.04 LTS will be available after

19th July 2012 (Ubuntu 12.04.1), 18th October 2012 (Ubuntu 12.10), 31st January 2013 (Ubuntu 12.04.2), 25th April 2013 (Ubuntu 13.04), 15th August 2013 (Ubuntu 12.04.3), 17th October (Ubuntu 13.10), 24th January 2014 (Ubuntu 12.04.4), 25th April 2014 (Ubuntu 14.04).

It seems that the non LTS releases are considered as point releases of the LTS release cycle.

Compatible with New Hardware: We will make point releases throughout the development cycle to provide functional support for new server and desktop hardware.

From here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

Regards.

Elfy
March 18th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I do not think that the ISO of an LTS is updated dailyI don't think either howefield or I said such.

I just said during their life :)

howefield
March 18th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Meant to include this link in my previous post.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseSchedule?action=show&redirect=PreciseReleaseSchedule