PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] visual issue

jamesbariv
March 18th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Hey everyone I am brand new. I installed linux on my grandmas old Dell dimension E310 because I thought it'd be easier than teaching her not to open shady emails, and because I have been using Ubuntu for a few years now. Somehow she managed to do some horrendous stuff I cant figure out in between my update visits. The pictures tell the story, can anyone help me out?

raja.genupula
March 18th, 2012, 04:43 AM
sorry , well i am unable to get what you wanna say . explain more.

chipbuster
March 18th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Hm...those texts remind me of what happens if you try to cat binaries sometimes...

Not sure if that's worth anything, but it might be a place to start. Have you looked in the log files?

jamesbariv
March 31st, 2012, 05:54 PM
Hm...those texts remind me of what happens if you try to cat binaries sometimes...

Not sure if that's worth anything, but it might be a place to start. Have you looked in the log files?

I dont exactly know what that means, and I havent looked in the log files. How do I go about that?

Also, when I said I check up on my grandma I meant I make sure the computer is properly updated and things like that, I don't go beyond a very basic ubuntu proficiency. I think the hardest thing I have had to do is install some programs from archives...

To the second poster, the issue is that every once in a while (usually a day after a full shutdown or reset I believe) the text on all of the status bars reads in what my grandmother calls "chinese". Hovering over an icon shows garbled text, and even the shortcuts on her browser exhibit symptoms. All it takes is a simple shut down to bring the text back but I am wondering why there is a radioactive half life or something.

:lolflag:

Thanks for your help!

jamesbariv
April 28th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Not to be a jerk but I wanted to bump this up the list! Still floundering trying to figure out why my screen looks like that. Its not the screenshot function, the detail text in everything when you hover the mouse over it is garbled. Please assist!