PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will not boot

mr best buy
March 18th, 2012, 12:25 AM
I have the newest Ununtu. It will not boot except in the recovery mode. I have reinstalled several time. No help. what should I do?

bogan
March 18th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Posted by mr best buy:
I have the newest Ununtu. It will not boot except in the recovery mode. I have reinstalled several time. No help. what should I do? If you want a sensible, useful reply, post a clear description of your installation and the exact symptoms you observe during a boot attempt. - Is "newest" 11.10 or 12.04 ?

What happens with the recovery boot, is it correct and complete?

Also can you boot from the Live CD or USB you installed from - directly or with wubi?

Chao!, bogan

mr best buy
March 18th, 2012, 10:21 PM
OK. I have an HP Desk top. 8 GB MEM. I dual boot between windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.04. I have had this situtation several months. Then suddenly when I try to boot in to Ubnntu the screen flickers at about 40 cps. very hard hard to read the messages as they flash by. It will not complete the booting process. so after 10 minutes, I turn it off and reboot, using the recovery manager. It boots but flashes at the same rate at times as the other attempt. It also has a large amount of [24] flashing on the screen.
So I ran the up date, no help... So I reinstalled 11.04 erasing the old system. No help. So I installed 12.04, erasing the old system. No help.
What should I do? I cannot delete any partitions becuase I do not know the partition names. If I reformat I wil lose windows 7 and I do not want to do that..So what are my options? How to delete partitions with out disturbing windows 7

bcbc
March 19th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Probably you need nomodeset to boot. If you have an nvidia graphics card it's certainly needed, some ati as well. See this thread for more info: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132