PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen or desktop not happy

Mr Happy
March 17th, 2012, 08:17 PM
10.04 updated as of yesterday.
Starts fine, log in is ok.
All graphics are on the screen ok if a little slow.
Starting Firefox, thunderbird or any other prog. It covers the top menu bar and there is no X icon to close the prog in the RHs.
Click on any menu with the pointer and the menu opens but when the pointer is moved to the menu, the menu disappears. So I can't access the bookmarks.
Firefox or thunderbird work ok, but the graphics are missing full functionality. I cannot move firefox round the screen by having the pointer on the top bar and holding the LH button of the mouse.
Say I right click on the window switcher on the bottom menu bar and then click on options (which is a menu that does not disappear) then the switcher panel opens but flickers. I can increase or decrease the number of switcher virtual desktops but when I click ok to confirm the panel closes and no changes to the number of desktops. (Hope I am using the right words to describe the different parts?).
The system (Athlon 2500 Thunderbird) was working ok a couple of weeks ago so I am not sure why this has sprung up. I did remove the AGP MX200 graphics card to oil the fan which was noisy, but Win2k works ok on the other HDD.
Please advise what to do.