PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No boot with 11.10 after closing laptop during update

Batnastard
March 17th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Hi all,
My wife thought my netbook was asleep during an update and closed the lid - now it won't boot. If I run recovery mode I get kernel panic, failed to mount root fs. I can boot to a previous version in a shell, and fsck gives a code 6. I tried running it with -r but same thing. I tried the nomodset trick and got just the blinking cursor. It's been a while since I've done this sort of thing but I'm guessing the kernel didn't build or get installed properly.

It's a netbook, so I can't boot from CD, but I could try a thumb drive. Is there a way to complete/rerun the install from a shell? Or, is there anything else I could try?

Thanks!

2F4U
March 17th, 2012, 06:14 PM
If you are able to boot at least in a console you may be able to finish the upgrade:

http://www.opensourcetips.org/linux/ubuntu/550-how-to-recover-ubuntu-after-a-partial-upgrade

Batnastard
March 17th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks! I don't think I have dpkg-reconfigure, but I ran dpkg --configure -a and it ran for a bit but crashed on the firewall. I booted it up and it's definitely getting farther, but it hangs on mount.nfs and mountall.

Ah, but now I can boot into recovery mode on the new kernel. Running dpkg-reconfigure now, we'll see. Thanks again!

Batnastard
March 17th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Ok, when I run dpkg-reconfigure it says:

Update-rc.d: warning: [stuff] missing LSB support

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an Upstart job you may also use the start(8) utility etc.

Does this several times and finishes. Reboot is same as before. Any ideas?