PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] allocating and initialising a pointer inside a function

PeterP24
March 17th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Hello,

I am passing a pointer to a function (through call by reference) in order to allocate memory for it with malloc and to put some values into the newly allocated memory cells, i.e. to initialize it.
I came with the following code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

void fct_b(int **b)
{
int i;
*b = malloc(10*sizeof(int));
for(i = 0; i < 10; i++)
{
(*b)[i]=i;
// printf("%d ", (*b)[i]);
}

}

void fct_c(int ***c)
{
int i, j;
**c = malloc(10*sizeof(int*));
for(i = 0; i < 10; i++)
{
(*c)[i] = malloc(10*sizeof(int));
for(j = 0; j < 10; j++)
{
(*c)[i][j]=10*i+j;
//printf("%d", (*c)[i][j]);
}
}
}

int main(void)
{
int *b, **c;

fct_b(&b);
fct_c(&c);

int i, j;
// level b
/*for(i = 0; i < 10; i++)
{
printf("%d ", b[i]);
}*/
// level c
for(i = 0; i < 10; i++)
{
for(j = 0; j < 10; j++)
printf("%d ", c[i][j]);
}

return 0;
}

I manage to figure out how to do it for a pointer to pointer type (function fct_b). However I was surprised to see that the initialisation works only if I use:

(*b)[i]=i
because

*b[i]=i
doesn't work.

This would be one issue. Another one would be that I tried to expand the experience learned at fct_b to a pointer to a pointer to a pointer case - like the one implemented in function fct_c. I can check that inside the fct.c the pointer is allocated and initialised however it is not working.

I have two questions:
(a) in case of fct_b why does the initialisation works with (*b)[i] = i instead of *b[i] = i ?
(b) in case of fct_c - why does not work?

ofnuts
March 17th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Wouldn't it be simpler to have :

int * fct_b()
{
int i;
int *b = malloc(10*sizeof(int));
for(i = 0; i < 10; i++)
{
b[i]=i;
// printf("%d ", b[i]);
}
return b;
}
And use it as

b=fct_b()
"[]" has a higher precedence than "*", so "*b[i]" takes the i'th element of b and dereferences it.

PeterP24
March 17th, 2012, 06:35 PM
@ofnuts
I know it is easier to return the pointer instead of passing it by reference in order to be allocated and initialised - this I already tried with respect to the function fct_b - I don't know if it works for function fct_c. However I am interested in the answers to my original questions. It is not like I have to solve some homework or pressing tasks with these answers - it is something I gave some thought and came to a dead end and I would like to find out how to do it in that particular way.

ofnuts
March 17th, 2012, 09:50 PM
@ofnuts
I know it is easier to return the pointer instead of passing it by reference in order to be allocated and initialised - this I already tried with respect to the function fct_b - I don't know if it works for function fct_c. However I am interested in the answers to my original questions. It is not like I have to solve some homework or pressing tasks with these answers - it is something I gave some thought and came to a dead end and I would like to find out how to do it in that particular way.
In fct_c it should be:

*c = malloc(10*sizeof(int*));

Arndt
March 18th, 2012, 12:16 AM
*b[i] means the same as *(b[i]), not (*b)[i].

Bachstelze
March 18th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Your problem with fct_c is that you have not initialised c in main, but you dereference it in fct_c.

PeterP24
March 18th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Ok, I think I got the answer to the first question. It has to be (*b)[i] instead of *b[i] because, as @ofnuts says, I am allocating memory for *b then by using *b[i] I am actually dereferencing b first and not *b. However I did not allocated memory for b with malloc - I allocated for *b. Is it right?

@Bachstelze - I am trying to allocate memory and initialise the pointer c inside the function fct_c.

For function fct_c the following version works (thanks again @ofnuts):

void fct_c(int ***c)
{
int i, j;
*c = malloc(10*sizeof(int*));
for(i = 0; i < 10; i++)
{
(*c)[i] = malloc(10*sizeof(int));
for(j = 0; j < 10; j++)
{
(*c)[i][j]=10*i+j;
//printf("%d ", (*c)[i][j]);