PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Finding my files

wadie
March 17th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to access the files I have on Windows 7,but I can't find them!

I tried to go to root,but don't have permission to access it even though I'm using the admin user now. also tried to go through the hard disk but didn't find anything related to my users and files in Windows 7.

Where do I find them ?

Gone fishing
March 17th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Firstly is your Windows partition mounted? if it is then you should see it mouted in Nautilus (The file manager) and your windows documents will be some where like:

/media/Win7/Documents and Settings/windowsusername.

If the Windows partition is not mounted post back but there is a GUI tool called Mount manager which can help

NikTh
March 17th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Hi ,
Try to create a mountpoint for windows partition and mount it from terminal .
Example.

sudo mkdir /media/windowsdata now that you have create windowsdata inside media run in terminal

sudo fdisk -l and you will see what partition corresponding to windows. Suppose that windows its dev/sda2 then you will do

sudo mount /dev/sda2 /media/windowsdata you can access now your windows files from nautilus file manager or if you are familiar continue with terminal.
:)

Paqman
March 17th, 2012, 01:56 PM
How did you install?

If you used Wubi then your Windows partition will be available at /host within the file manager. If you installed to a separate partition then you might need to mount it as suggested above.

wadie
March 17th, 2012, 02:02 PM
I installed using Wubi.

Found the files at /host.

Thank you all! and sorry for my stupid question,still a newbie.. :)

Paqman
March 18th, 2012, 01:05 PM
sorry for my stupid question,still a newbie.. :)

The only stupid questions are the ones you're too shy to ask! We were all newbies once, asking questions is how you learn.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

NikTh
March 18th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I installed using Wubi.

Found the files at /host.

Glad you solved your problem. Allow me a suggestion that always giving when i see this word (Wubi).
Install Ubuntu normally - regular. Without wubi. Dual boot if you want.
Wubi is just a virtual install. To try ubuntu 1-2-3 weeks. And not reveals the potentials of ubuntu. :)