PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot from on screen choice with (Windows 8) ??

candtalan
March 17th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Is anyone working on how to routinely arrange dual boot Ubuntu for people who will/may be using a windows 8 machine which presumably will have uefi boot.
I am not really asking about situations where uefi can be disabled, or not, and Ubuntu can be installed and run with uefi disabled in the machine - from a switch on the mainboard say.
I am interested in knowing if/how it will be possible to, as now, simply reboot the PC and start up in the other OS, from an *on screen* choice.
Have any discussions dealt with this particular aspect yet?

BeRoot ReBoot
March 17th, 2012, 09:58 AM
I think the only solution so far is to not buy OEM computers with windows 8 and UEFI secure boot enabled.

candtalan
March 17th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I think the only solution so far is to not buy OEM computers with windows 8 and UEFI secure boot enabled.
I am thinking to the future when a new friend comes along and says 'Yes, I would like to try Ubuntu dual boot? on my Windows 8 PC'
and I have to say
'I do not think I can help because your machine does not have a method of [whatever] for dual boot, or maybe we can partly dismantle the PC to switch it every time you want to run Ubuntu....'

Which as far as MS are concerned is a very elegant way of preventing dual boot Ubuntu newbies!
My main method of starting such newbies is - you have guessed - dual boot!
Gone!

This is a more significant issue than simply 'can a linux based OS run?'

Help please, anybody?

BeRoot ReBoot
March 17th, 2012, 04:31 PM
The entire point of the standard is to provide secure backups of boot images that can be restored if the bootsector/HDD is "tempered with". There isn't a known workaround, but there's still hope it'll be cracked once it's released and anyone interested in cracking it can go out and buy a test article.