PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] OMG! Where can I learn about Desktop GUI Options!

ScientificProp
March 17th, 2012, 03:48 AM
OK. I've got Ubuntu installed with a few applications I like. I should settle on a desktop GUI. If I understand correctly, there's Unity, Unity 2D, Gnome2, Gnome3, KDE, and who knows what else. Is there a document somewhere that can explain their characteristics, differences, strengths and/or weaknesses? The latest GUI, Unity, seems to have some bugs (I've read that it doesn't always work with 11.10 and Compiz?).
Since I'm just getting into Ubuntu, I'd like to start with the latest and thereby minimize future upgrade transition headaches, but I have not found a clear explanation of what are my options and what are the tradeoffs.
Can anybody direct me to a document that reviews the operational characteristics, differences, and/or tradeoffs.
Or, maybe they are all functionally similar and I can learn to make any one of them work.?

Thanks, ScientificProp.

xtiano77
March 17th, 2012, 03:59 AM
I would check out these web sites:

http://www.renewablepcs.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce
http://www.datamation.com/open-source/gnome-vs.-kde-vs.-unity-performing-seven-basic-tasks-1.html
http://openrelish.blogspot.com/2012/02/kde-vs-gnome-3-vs-unity.html

The last one has some very informative videos. Hope this helps.

ScientificProp
March 17th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Thanks! I've started reading through the material, I'm not sure yet if it'll tell me all that I'd like to know, but it is certainly the kind of information that I'm looking for. I guess the more I read, the less interested in Unity I become.
I guess mu favorite desktop environment / GUI was that of OS/2. I felt that was very customizable and functional.

ScientificProp

jerome1232
March 17th, 2012, 09:01 AM
IMO, read a little less and do a little trying. I personally am at a toss up between Unity and Gnome-shell, I love Lubuntu (lxde) on my netbook. It boils down to personal preference, and you won't get a feel for it without some hands on.

If you want shiny your mostly going to be looking at Gnome-Shell vs Unity vs KDE. Gnome-Shell and Unity have a lot in common and both share a Gnome3 underbelly.

Peripheral Visionary
March 17th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I have a little summary published here (http://adoptedsidekick.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/linux-desktops/), but it doesn't include Unity. Unity is unique to Ubuntu and from what I understand, it's a bit of a resource hog for now, but it sure looks pretty!

Anyway that summary is just a big general overview of the different desktops available in Linux.

http://adoptedsidekick.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/linux-desktops/

grahammechanical
March 17th, 2012, 07:21 PM
This

I'd like to start with the latest and thereby minimize future upgrade transition headaches

is one of those things that is self-contradictory.

The latest in any Linux distribution especially with the desktop, which is what you are talking about, is also the part that is being developed day by day.

Buying the latest might apply to hardware but when it comes to a Linux Distribution the latest is also the not yet finished.

This applies to the Ubuntu Unity user interface and also to the Gnome organization Gnome shell 3 user interface.

Other distributions are also going over to the Gnome 3 desktop environment. They are also using the Gnome 3 shell as Ubuntu would have done if the owners had not decided that they needed a user interface of their own and not one borrowed from someone else. Gnome shell 3 is very much under development. It too has its critics.

The other alternative is the KDE desktop environment (K Desktop Environment}. That also has been going through a period of development and still is developing.

The next release of Ubuntu is 12.04 (late April) it is supported on the desktop with security updates and other fixes for 5 years. Very little will change regarding 12.04 during those years. There are a couple of improvements that will not be ready in time of the late April release date. They will be brought in later on in the year. But these are not big changes.

I would like to add that for some months I have been using a development release of 12.04. It is being heavy tested. I myself have at least three times ran test suites to test the functions of Unity which is much improved in its functioning than the Unity in 11.10. After each test a report is sent back to the developers giving the results of my testing and any comments that I might make regarding usability. And this is done before the improvements are put into 12.04.

I have also ran a test suite to test the Ubuntu system applications in the same way.

Regards.

oldos2er
March 18th, 2012, 02:52 AM
I guess mu favorite desktop environment / GUI was that of OS/2. I felt that was very customizable and functional.

A sentiment I fully agree with. Unfortunately there's nothing like the WPS available for Linux.

ScientificProp
March 19th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Thanks Grahammechanical for your insight. If Unity is just extra resource-hogging bling on top of Gnome3, then maybe I could start with Gnome 3. Lately, I've been thinking to skip Unity for now and just start with Gnome3, but it it's also still buggy then... Idk. However, it's more difficult since Ubuntu makes it easier for a noob to start with Unity since it's the default setup.
My goal at this point is to evaluate Ubuntu. Which, in my opinion means being able to use the operating system to run programs that I want to use. And, to evaluate it's flexibility for future adjustments. So, I'm getting the impression that I don't need Unity, if it's mostly bling. Do you have a recommendation for a reasonably stable desktop GUI that will provide a good base to work from? And, how do I install it?

To OS2er. I appreciate your comments. IMHO, OS/2 WPS is still the best "single-user, multi-tasking operating system ever written." (Linux being a multi-user, multi-tasking OS.) I think the reason it didn't succeed in the marketplace is because it put too many companies out of business that dealt with the problems with Microsoft Windows. Basically, the "Industry", including the computer magazines, was heavily invested in Windows and all of it's weaknesses. Noone wanted to invest the time to learn something different. Much to our (the users) detriment!

ScientificProp