PDA

View Full Version : Must-have Ubuntu programs?

Spewed
March 17th, 2012, 03:41 AM
I would like to know what are some must have Ubuntu programs, outside of the normal things like Media Player, Firefox, Chrome Flash, etc. as per the community here.

bodhi.zazen
March 17th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe. (not really a support question.

evilsoup
March 17th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Easystroke (which is in the repositories) and gnome-pie (which isn't, but has a PPA). Easystroke gives mouse gestures, and gnome-pie allows you to call a pie launcher up around your mouse pointer at the click of a button. They also work perfectly together - so you can preform a basic mouse-gesture to summon a pie filled with your favourite applications. These two things save me so much time, whenever I have to use another computer it's like moving through molasses...

...OK, not quite to that extent. But I recommend those two applications very very highly.

squilookle
March 17th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Depends what you want to do, but the first things I install are Chromium, Spotify Linux Preview, and GIMP.

synaptix
March 17th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Synaptic (11.10 and beyond)
Xchat
Audacious
FileZilla
Wine
BleachBit
Ubuntu Tweak
BOINC (to do my computing for WCG)
Deluge (To download and seed Ubuntu :) As well as other Linux distros)

Just to name a few.

Spewed
March 17th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Synaptic (11.10 and beyond)
Xchat
Audacious
FileZilla
Wine
BleachBit
Ubuntu Tweak
BOINC (to do my computing for WCG)
Deluge (To download and seed Ubuntu :) As well as other Linux distros)

Just to name a few.

Are there any Ubuntu or Linux versions of Ccleaner? I have BleachBit, but it didn't delete my history, cache or anything I asked it to.

cottfcfan
March 17th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Are there any Ubuntu or Linux versions of Ccleaner? I have BleachBit, but it didn't delete my history, cache or anything I asked it to.
That's because you need to run the "root" version as well as the "user" version.
Bleachbit is a great tool IMO.

BeRoot ReBoot
March 17th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Really, this depends ENTIRELY on what you're doing, and most people's choices should be meaningless or useless to most other people who don't share the same profession/interests/problems. Mine would be, in no particular order,

haskell
clisp
py3k
ipython
scipy
emacs
ssh
git
bzr
maxima
octave
ccrypt
vrms

harimurugan
March 17th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I would like to know what are some must have Ubuntu programs, outside of the normal things like Media Player, Firefox, Chrome Flash, etc. as per the community here.

My personal suggestion is not to install any of other suggestions. its fully depend on yr usage and mainly wat for u r using.. it would b easier to suggest when u mention yr nature of use

winh8r
March 17th, 2012, 10:12 AM
A couple of useful ones for me:

CLI Companion (see "Make using the termial easy" link in my sig below)

Terminator- allows you to subdivide terminal window horizontally and vertically to infinity.....

testdisk/photorec- for data recovery, all types, all systems.

virtualbox - allows you to play with an OS and break it , then just reboot it to get it working again, lots of other uses too.

vnstat - measures all incoming and outgoing traffic on your network interface to allow you to keep track of usage

If you want to try things out to see if they are right for you, run Ubuntu in a virtual box environment and install things and play with them in there before you decide if you want them on your main system.

Spewed
March 17th, 2012, 06:16 PM
A couple of useful ones for me:

CLI Companion (see "Make using the termial easy" link in my sig below)

Terminator- allows you to subdivide terminal window horizontally and vertically to infinity.....

testdisk/photorec- for data recovery, all types, all systems.

virtualbox - allows you to play with an OS and break it , then just reboot it to get it working again, lots of other uses too.

vnstat - measures all incoming and outgoing traffic on your network interface to allow you to keep track of usage

If you want to try things out to see if they are right for you, run Ubuntu in a virtual box environment and install things and play with them in there before you decide if you want them on your main system.

I'm definitely going to be checking out Cli-Companion as soon as I get the time.

Spewed
March 17th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Really, this depends ENTIRELY on what you're doing, and most people's choices should be meaningless or useless to most other people who don't share the same profession/interests/problems. Mine would be, in no particular order,

haskell
clisp
py3k
ipython
scipy
emacs
ssh
git
bzr
maxima
octave
ccrypt
vrms

I'm just interested in seeing other people suggestions, and what other users find important to them outside of the usual browser. I'm also looking up the programs to see what could be potentially useful to me. I've already gotten a few programs from this thread that have been useful to me.

As it stands my Ubuntu 11.10 is pretty bare, I'm a Ubuntu noob at the moment, so I'm just seeing what's out there here.

wojox
March 17th, 2012, 06:36 PM
vlc and irssi. :p