PDA

View Full Version : Application for Ubuntu Membership: Effenberg0x0

effenberg0x0
March 16th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Hi,

I have though about it (and asked for advice of current members) a lot and decided it is time to apply for Ubuntu Membership.

My Wiki Page is at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Effenberg0x0 (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Effenberg0x0)
And my Launchpad Page is: https://launchpad.net/~effenberg0x0 (https://launchpad.net/%7Eeffenberg0x0)

Please feel free to contact me for any further info, inquiries or feedback.

Regards,
Effenberg

winh8r
March 17th, 2012, 12:02 AM
EffenbergOxO,

I would like to wish you every success in your application for membership. You are very knowledgable and have always given well informed answers. Your work on the development releases is very valuable and I am sure you will continue to be a driving force in that team.

Good Luck
+1

cariboo
March 17th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Effenber0x0, I'll add my +1 to your application, thanks for all your hard work.

Toz
March 17th, 2012, 12:19 AM
You have my support. A definite +1. Good luck.

Elfy
March 17th, 2012, 03:09 AM
You have my support - good luck effenberg.

effenberg0x0
March 17th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Thank you Cariboo907, winh8r, Toz and forestpiskie :)
Your support means a lot to me.

Regards,
Effenberg

kaldor
March 17th, 2012, 03:24 AM
+1. Lots of work being done on his part. Much deserved.

effenberg0x0
March 17th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Thank you Kaldor :)

Regards,
Effenberg

effenberg0x0
March 17th, 2012, 03:32 AM
My Wiki is too serious. Would it be appropriate to insert some pictures of my cats? They have been following the development of U+1Team and QAProposal docs and providing good insight. It's just a little complicated when all of them decide to sleep on the table / over the keyboards.

Anyway, they can't really type, and they only speak Brazilian Portuguese. But they fully support my application and that accounts for 6 votes.

Regards,
Effenberg

rg4w
March 17th, 2012, 05:02 AM
If it were up to me you wouldn't even need to apply; you'd be runnin' the joint.

nothingspecial
March 17th, 2012, 07:31 AM
A huge +1 from me. :D

effenberg0x0
March 17th, 2012, 07:46 AM
A huge +1 from me. :D
Thanks, I really appreciate your support :)

I hadn't noticed the link to IRC via web client in your signature, it's a very good idea. Real time support works better for a large portion of users.

Regards,
Effenberg

effenberg0x0
March 17th, 2012, 07:48 AM
If it were up to me you wouldn't even need to apply; you'd be runnin' the joint.

Thank you for the support rg4w. It's 3:46AM and I'm still fighting the MoinMoin syntax. Thank God I am NOT running everything lol... I'm exhausted.

Regards,
Effenberg

ventrical
March 17th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Effenberg .. a solid backbone working behind the scenes, taking on the most menial of tasks and always offering support to the team. A true team member.

+1

raja.genupula
March 17th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Effenberg +1 from me too , All the best to your Ubuntu Membership Application .

matt_symes
March 17th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Wow. About time you applied ! I was wondering why you hadn't before.

You get a big +1 from me.

PaulW2U
March 17th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I just had to support your application as I've always enjoyed reading your posts. They are always well written and presented and I can tell a lot of thought goes into what you write which of course is always backed up by your extensive knowledge and experience.

philinux
March 17th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I'll add my +1. Keep up the good work. :p

effenberg0x0
March 17th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Effenberg .. a solid backbone working behind the scenes, taking on the most menial of tasks and always offering support to the team. A true team member.

+1

Hi Ventrical,

Thank you for your words, they mean a lot to me :)
PS: I'll publicize your work on the wiki, we need to get more people there to help you.
One idea I have: Everyone, even the less technical users, knows at least 1 trick. We have 22 registered users plus about 25 still-active but not registered old-timers and 11 new users interested in testing. If 50% of them accept to contribute with 1 topic (likely 1 or 2 paragraphs) that would already help a lot.

Regards,
Effenberg

effenberg0x0
March 17th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Wow. About time you applied ! I was wondering why you hadn't before.

You get a big +1 from me.

Hy Matt! thanks for your support.

I was wondering why you hadn't before.
I wasn't sure if what I did/still am doing was enough for a membership actually. Then when I was invited to apply, I was still not really convinced: I had to think for a while, check what other Ubuntu Members contributed, ask for advice from other members and users, ask them their opinion about our group and activities, etc.

But right now, given the work we are developing, our current achievements as a team, the improvement in the number of people at Ubuntu+1, in the quality of support and time to answer, the formation of the team, etc, I became more confident we are driving some relevant and positive change - I started to see results in things I was trying to do for a long time. That's basically it.

Regards,
Effenberg

nothingspecial
March 17th, 2012, 05:58 PM
I wasn't sure if what I did/still am doing was enough for a membership actually.

This seems to be a common issue. The staff are attempting to rectify this at the moment.

effenberg0x0
March 17th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I just had to support your application as I've always enjoyed reading your posts. They are always well written and presented and I can tell a lot of thought goes into what you write which of course is always backed up by your extensive knowledge and experience.

Thanks Paul :)
I think I lack concision lol... some of my posts are too big and users sometimes have no patience to read them entirely. But I try :)

Regards,
Effenberg

IWantFroyo
March 17th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I support this.

effenberg0x0
March 17th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I support this.

Thanks!

Regards,
Effenberg

Jay Car
March 18th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I wasn't sure if what I did/still am doing was enough for a membership actually. Then when I was invited to apply, I was still not really convinced: I had to think for a while, check what other Ubuntu Members contributed, ask for advice from other members and users, ask them their opinion about our group and activities, etc.

I can't even believe you wrote that! I don't know much, but I DO know that, if ANYONE ever deserved membership, it's you.

Thanks Paul :)
I think I lack concision lol... some of my posts are too big and users sometimes have no patience to read them entirely. But I try :)

This is also rather stunning to read. If people are too impatient to read the "big" posts, that's their choice. But many times, after reading some of your more detailed posts, all I can say is "Wow!" - You have a knack for organising information and making it readable and understandable.

I've also noted a sense of compassion for the trials and tribulations of ordinary users when they are faced with things they don't understand, and a lot of patience in working out ways to make things easier for them.

A humble spirit, and a sense of humor, too!

I believe that you are qualified for membership, above and beyond. :)

effenberg0x0
March 19th, 2012, 04:09 AM
I can't even believe you wrote that! I don't know much, but I DO know that, if ANYONE ever deserved membership, it's you.

This is also rather stunning to read. If people are too impatient to read the "big" posts, that's their choice. But many times, after reading some of your more detailed posts, all I can say is "Wow!" - You have a knack for organising information and making it readable and understandable.

I've also noted a sense of compassion for the trials and tribulations of ordinary users when they are faced with things they don't understand, and a lot of patience in working out ways to make things easier for them.

A humble spirit, and a sense of humor, too!

I believe that you are qualified for membership, above and beyond. :)

Jay Car, I'm at a loss of words here, thank you so much for this.

Actually, there are some things I have to say about you too :) I really appreciate how you always took the time to recognize the efforts or our people at Ubuntu+1 and supported us in the few moments when, unavoidably, there was conflict. I remember during the craziness of OO release week I was taking support threads in groups of five or more for many hours straight and we still had to put up with all the hate towards Ubuntu changes, like Unity, aimed at the helpers.... I really though of quiting UF altogether at that point and your advice was crucial to keep me here and light up my mood. Many times, when I was sunk too deep into the IT aspects of testing and support, you were a reminder that there are real people behind each forum handle. If the role of "advisor" or "analyst" to the helpers, members and staff is ever created, it should automatically be assigned to you.

Regards,
Effenberg

Rubi1200
March 19th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Good luck with the application.

effenberg0x0
March 19th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Good luck with the application.

Thanks Rubi1200!

Regards,
Effenberg

balloons
March 19th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Hy Matt! thanks for your support.

But right now, given the work we are developing, our current achievements as a team, the improvement in the number of people at Ubuntu+1, in the quality of support and time to answer, the formation of the team, etc, I became more confident we are driving some relevant and positive change - I started to see results in things I was trying to do for a long time. That's basically it.

Regards,
Effenberg

Effenberg, the best leaders are the ones who challenge themselves, are extremely humble, and most of all reluctant to lead :-) Your treatment and respect of what a ubuntu member means makes you an excellent candidate.

effenberg0x0
March 19th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Effenberg, the best leaders are the ones who challenge themselves, are extremely humble, and most of all reluctant to lead :-) Your treatment and respect of what a ubuntu member means makes you an excellent candidate.

Thank you for your kind words Nick! Actually, the good advice you gave me when I asked your opinion about it was a *big* push for me. After that talk, even still being a little uncertain of my merit, I decided I would try it, but with an unusual rationale. Not as an "award" or something like that, but as a tool to speed up change by opening more doors. In order to continue trying to do proactive (AKA crazy) things, approaching people that can help drive positive change but who never heard of me, getting their attention and commitment, etc, the membership can be a nice "business card" (if people respect it the way we do, as we had talked).

You have been a real good friend to me and I have a feeling we'll continue to work together for a long time. I'm excited about this possibility.

BTW, I'm finishing my (counter)Proposal today :) I have dedicated a lot of time to it this weekend and tried to create an end-to-end specification, that is, is starts with an assessment of the current situation and proposed changes as you did, but also delineates detailed processes, structure, management, decision making, etc - like what I drafted for U+1 - but considering the different groups involved. I took a SWOT approach more or less. It's a little big and extra-comprehensive, but I think (actually hope) you'll like it.

Regards,
Effenberg

spynappels
March 20th, 2012, 01:30 PM
A definite +1 from me.

I've not come across you much in the forums where I'm most active, but I do appreciate that a lot of testing goes in to every new release to make it as bug free as possible before launch.
I also understand that it's often a thankless task, especially when a vocal minority are unhappy with changes.

However, looking at the work you've put in, I'm glad there are people like you on board and I think you absolutely deserve membership.

effenberg0x0
March 20th, 2012, 03:58 PM
A definite +1 from me.

I've not come across you much in the forums where I'm most active, but I do appreciate that a lot of testing goes in to every new release to make it as bug free as possible before launch.
I also understand that it's often a thankless task, especially when a vocal minority are unhappy with changes.

However, looking at the work you've put in, I'm glad there are people like you on board and I think you absolutely deserve membership.

Thanks Spynappels! You nailed it 100%: The hardest moments I had in the testing community were when dealing with a few uninformed and sometimes very abrasive group of inconsiderate users, who practically blamed us for every new feature (specially those that changed Ubuntu GUI) or bug. And sometimes each of us has to struggle to keep it cool and polite and continue to do what we are supposed to do: test software, whatever it looks like. It's not easy... I couldn't help getting mad a couple times. But the big thing here for me was when I realized that as typically lone testers gradually become regulars, start to feel as members of a group, get to know each other better and develop friendly relationships within the team, effectively supporting and appreciating each other work, overcoming such moments becomes easier.

The challenge I put myself to is to make sure any future changes to the testing landscape focuses on building, protecting and empowering supportive testing communities, not simply gathering as many lone testers as possible.

Regards,
Effenberg

wildmanne39
March 21st, 2012, 11:13 PM
You have my support.

Irihapeti
March 21st, 2012, 11:20 PM
Most definitely a big +1 from me!

effenberg0x0
March 22nd, 2012, 03:17 AM
Thank you for your support Irihapeti and wildmanne39!

Regards,
Effenberg

cprofitt
March 22nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
After reading your posts, your wiki and learning a bit about the U+1 team by following links in your posts I can say you get a strong +1 from me.

effenberg0x0
March 22nd, 2012, 04:46 PM
After reading your posts, your wiki and learning a bit about the U+1 team by following links in your posts I can say you get a strong +1 from me.

Thank you for your support cprofitt!

Actually, this is a happy coincidence. I've been wanting to talk to you. I have also hosted a session in this last UDW and your session caught my attention back then. IMO it was a more realistic approach that affected QA-Centric activities greatly. Last week I read your session again and printed that diagram you made :)
If possible, I'd like to talk to you, get some other people to know your vision. Please, Let me know via PM if you would be willing to have a chat with me and some other people on IRC sometime next week. I'll give you details of what I have in my mind.

Regards,
Effenberg

kevdog
March 23rd, 2012, 04:49 AM
After reading your application -- I suddenly feel very small within these forums.

Good luck with your application. Not that it means much but I'd give you a +1, but if you check, I'm really a nobody around here with no connections and pull no weight. Take it for what's its worth.

Good luck with your future endeavors. I'm always glad to see people like you contributing.

effenberg0x0
March 23rd, 2012, 06:53 AM
After reading your application -- I suddenly feel very small within these forums.
Come one, don't be like that :)

Good luck with your application. Not that it means much but I'd give you a +1, but if you check, I'm really a nobody around here with no connections and pull no weight. Take it for what's its worth.
It means a lot actually! The difference between Proprietary software and FOSS is the existence of a community. For a community to exist, everyone should matter. Most of the people I have as true friends here are ordinary users.

About "being a nobody with no connections", you just haven't found something in this community that motivates you to fight for. I'm a no one too. Then one day I decided I was gonna change a couple things and started emailing people I hadn't ever been introduced to. 90% haven't ever answered, probably laughed :) But a couple did. I think everyone eventually gets to a moment in which they decide to go out of their comfort zone and do something different. When you feel motivated enough to do it, you'll do it. I have no doubts about it.

Good luck with your future endeavors. I'm always glad to see people like you contributing.
Thanks for supporting my application, and it *does* mean a lot :)

Regards,
Effenberg

effenberg0x0
March 24th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Thank you for supporting my application! :)

Regards,
Effenberg

oldos2er
March 26th, 2012, 06:33 PM
+1 to your membership application. All the best!

effenberg0x0
March 26th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Thank you for your support oldOS2er!
I love the "I want to tell you the story..." link to to the book in your signature :)

Regards,
Effenberg

mörgæs
March 27th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Your activity in the Ubuntu+1 forum should clearly give a +1 here.

Best of luck.

effenberg0x0
March 27th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Your activity in the Ubuntu+1 forum should clearly give a +1 here.

Best of luck.

Thank you for supporting my application mörgæs! At one point I really stopped participating in other forum areas, and focused all my efforts to Development Releases testing/support. We gotta do what we love to do :) I'm surprised and happy to see that people follow up with what goes on in the Ubuntu+1 sub-forum.

Regards,
Effenberg

cortman
March 27th, 2012, 05:05 PM
+1 from me too.
Having just begun to get involved in testing, and using the +1 forum, I now realize what a huge contribution effenberg0x0 makes to Ubuntu and the community in general.

s.fox
March 28th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Congrats are in order :D