PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] New to xfce from gnome looking for some help

IMC_TKB
March 16th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Hey,

Im an intermediate linux user, been using linux for a few years now and ive been trying to save some resources on my laptop so i switched from Gnome on 11.10 to the latest xfce. I love that its lighter, but im missing the super key expose, launcher and notification system from Gnome. Can anyone recommend some alternatives? I'd hate to go back to gnome just for that.

Thanks.

Theredbaron1834
March 16th, 2012, 11:09 PM
I don't know about a launcher, and I believe the superkey is controlled by the WM, at least with compiz I used it to configure it. As for notification's, I believe all you need to do is install notification-daemon, and set it to start automatically on boot.

I am sorry, I only used Gnome2, and them moved to LXDE(a bit smaller then XFCE), so I don't know much about XFCE

Rodney9
March 17th, 2012, 12:10 AM
I use Xubuntu 11.10 64bit

You can add keyboard shortcuts.
It comes with A Indicator Plugin for mail Pidgin etc
You can use alt/f2 to launch or Synapse

See screenshots below

Terrific guide on setting up Xubuntu 11.10

http://seandavis-blog.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/xubuntu-1110-setup-guide.html

Rodney

IMC_TKB
March 17th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Thanks for your replies, I'll give it a try and see what I can do.

Any other recommendations for someone coming from Gnome 3 to xfce? features ive been missing out on and the like?

Peripheral Visionary
March 17th, 2012, 02:50 AM
I don't know much about Gnome, having never used it, but I can tell you that Xfce is looking really good in Xubu 12.04 Beta. I've got the weather applet, analog clock, chose a pretty icon set for my "main" panel launchers, and a second panel up top (invisible until I mouse over it) for all my open applications. I've read several accounts of the Xubu desktop looking much like Gnome 2 did.

3Miro
March 17th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Thanks for your replies, I'll give it a try and see what I can do.

Any other recommendations for someone coming from Gnome 3 to xfce? features ive been missing out on and the like?

There are some people that have switched from Gnome 3 to Xfce, but many of us have been with Xfce for quite a while. It would be easier if you can list the features/functionality that you want so that we can tell you how to get it to work.

IMC_TKB
March 17th, 2012, 01:02 PM
The functionality I miss the most is the notification system that pops up at the bottom for chat, you can replay to messages and see the chat and then it disappears until they respond, it was very nicely integrated into the shell. Also I miss the ability to hit the windows key (super key) and get an expose esc view of all my windows to switch between quickly, as well as the ability to launch programs from that screen.

I found it very easy to navigate Gnome 3 with the keyboard, and im not having the same luck with xfce.

Or do I just need to learn a whole new set of keyboard shortcuts?

3Miro
March 17th, 2012, 02:11 PM
The functionality I miss the most is the notification system that pops up at the bottom for chat, you can replay to messages and see the chat and then it disappears until they respond, it was very nicely integrated into the shell. Also I miss the ability to hit the windows key (super key) and get an expose esc view of all my windows to switch between quickly, as well as the ability to launch programs from that screen.

I found it very easy to navigate Gnome 3 with the keyboard, and im not having the same luck with xfce.

Or do I just need to learn a whole new set of keyboard shortcuts?

The notifications should work under Xfce, it works for Skype for sure. I don't know why it isn't working for you, I think the program is called notify-osd, can check to see if you have it installed.

The windows zoom requires OpenGL effects. Xfce doesn't use OpenGL and this is one reason why it is lighter and snappier. You can use the workspace applet to move windows between workspaces, but there is no way to use the zoom effect (unless you start compiz, but then things will not be light).

Under Xfce you don't have to learn shortcuts, you can change all the shortcuts to whatever you want. Go to Applications -> Settings -> Settings Manager and select Windows Manager than the Keyboard Tab. Now you can adjust the shortcuts the way you want. You can also go to the Settings Manager -> Keyboard option to activate custom commands, launch specific applications and so on.

IMC_TKB
March 17th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Alright ill look into that, thanks for the replies guys, it was very helpful!