View Full Version : [SOLVED] Graphics memory or neither

March 16th, 2012, 06:45 PM
After getting a new pc I'm trying to convert my old pc for use by my grandson.

Old pc is a 2004 Dell Dimension 4600, Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 500MB memory, 80GB hd, Intel graphics (no video card), OpenGL v1.3.

Being cautious I installed 11.10 as a dual boot alongside WinXP. Installation seems to be fine with all of the included applications that I have tried working.

Since the pc will be primarily for a youngster I have installed (or tried to) several games. Games that appear to be more complicated install ok but when I try to run them a window flashes open and closes immediately with no error messages. Some examples are Supertuxcart and Neverball,

So, my question(s) is do I need more memory, a graphics card, both or something else? Or am I just wasting my time?

March 16th, 2012, 07:21 PM
yes you need more memory (Both RAM and Video). actually to Run ubuntu successfully with Good performance you gonna need the RAM as > 1 GB .

for the configuration you mentioned i suggest you Light Distro's of Ubuntu named as Xubuntu and Lubuntu .

March 16th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the response. Would you think the games I mentioned would run on the light versions without any added memory?

If I stayed with the standard distro I don't mind bumping up the memory. Would 1MB be enough or should I go to 2MB more?

An inexpensive graphics card would be ok with me also. Spending too much on a machine this old would not make too much sense.

March 17th, 2012, 04:00 AM
i think there you're talking about GB . If 1GB memory you have then its ok , you can run Ubuntu with out any problem . but for better performance (speedy) i am saying >1GB .

yeah in that light distro's you can play games .my experience is i have played game assault-cube in Xubuntu . so no problem with them and for your present RAM Lubuntu and Xubuntu will get priority .