PDA

View Full Version : has dapper been a disappointment for anyone

siimo
June 11th, 2006, 08:25 AM
I am disappointed as none of the *ubuntu (replace * with X or K or nothing) desktop cds boot on my main system with all the differen't boot flags i've tried. ](*,) This isn't very impressive as its supposed to be more stable and LTS release. The system is not non standard but it just will not boot with the live CD, hoary and breezy both worked fine for me. THis isn't only me refer to this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=186115

I have formatted my cd-rw disk that i keep a live cd for emergencies on and put breezy back on it now.

:???:

System specs are:
athlon-xp 1700+
VIA KT266A motherboard
512MB DDR RAM
80GB WD IDE p-ata
Samsung DVD-+RW writemaster
ATI Radeon 9250 128MB

Gtaylor
June 11th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Dapper has run great on a wide variety of machines I've installed and used or setup for others. Your hardware may just be one of those select setups that have trouble with Ubuntu or Linux in general.

But I've been extremely happy with how Dapper has turned out. Very fast, very stable, easy to use, and attractive. Can't complain here :)

siimo
June 11th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Dapper has run great on a wide variety of machines I've installed and used or setup for others. Your hardware may just be one of those select setups that have trouble with Ubuntu or Linux in general.

But I've been extremely happy with how Dapper has turned out. Very fast, very stable, easy to use, and attractive. Can't complain here :)

Sorry but i have no trouble with linux on this system what so ever, ive run 10+ different distributions with different backgrounds/pkg management/installation methods on it without any problem what so ever, i even got dapper running by going hoary -> breezy -> dapper but dappers live cd will refuse to boot. ](*,)

benplaut
June 11th, 2006, 08:44 AM
i'm just looking forward to edgy :)

Sammi
June 11th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Really: You ARE unlucky!

Most people don't experience anythink remotely similar to what you are experiencing with Ubuntu.

Personally I find it to the the best distribution ever. Fast, easy, useful, intuiative, beautiful, has great helpful documentation and the community gives even greater help.

dynnamitt
June 11th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Using 5.10 CD installer I had no problems AT ALL! :)

Using Latest LTS Desktop CD it all freezes. (..same problem using all the alphas and betas too ) ](*,) :confused: :-k

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=190683

WE DEMAND A NEW DAPPER ISO! !!!

BoyOfDestiny
June 11th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Using 5.10 CD installer I had no problems AT ALL! :)

Using Latest LTS Desktop CD it all freezes. (..same problem using all the alphas and betas too ) ](*,) :confused: :-k

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=190683

WE DEMAND A NEW DAPPER ISO! !!!

Have you tried the alternate install cd (the "alternate" has the regular text installer)

http://mirror.cs.umn.edu/ubuntu-releases/6.06/ubuntu-6.06-alternate-i386.iso

Did you file a bug report for the problems you had with the alphas and betas?

Did the breezy live cd work for you (at least the installer cd did, so hopefully the alternate dapper works for you...)?

If you had breezy already, did you attempt a dist-upgrade first?

mstlyevil
June 11th, 2006, 09:49 AM
You should really try the alternate installer first before you go off half cocked and call Dapper a POS. You may not have trouble with other distros but there are many others who have.

This is not just unique to Ubuntu but is a problem with linux in general since most hardware drivers are reversed engineered to work. If Ubuntu does not work on your hardware, then find something that does.

The devs work really hard to get Ubuntu to be compatible with as many systems as possible. It helps when instead of complaining on a forum the devs never read, you file a bug report or comment on an existing bug report on launchpad.

By taking action you will help to make the next release even better than the last.

siimo
June 11th, 2006, 10:05 AM
not complaining. The bug reports are already filed anyway. I am just unhappy that they have regressed from previous version as you can see in the topic name and this being the LTS version :neutral:

mstlyevil
June 11th, 2006, 10:14 AM
not complaining. The bug reports are already filed anyway. I am just unhappy that they have regressed from previous version as you can see in the topic name and this being the LTS version :neutral:

I wouldn't call it a regression. Breezy's live cd had no installer. Dapper is using new technology that is bound to have some problems. Sometimes progress breaks certain things that worked well in previous releases. I recommend you use the alternate installer since it is the traditional installer you used with Breezy. Personally, I use the alternate installer on my system just because of certain bugs I have found with the desktop installer.

That is my 2 cents.

fireshell
June 11th, 2006, 10:15 AM
It's worked on every machine I've used... The worst case I've ever had is where the monitor wasn't compatible but hey u get that. The reason why I use Dapper, cause it just works (both my laptop and desktop)

kaamos
June 11th, 2006, 10:48 AM
has dapper been a disappointment for anyone?

Not at all for me. Just works. :)
The only disappointment with installing dapper was that ati had screwed up (again!) with their drivers and I had to revert to 8.24 from 8.25 to actually get working 3d.

siimo
June 11th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't call it a regression. Breezy's live cd had no installer. Dapper is using new technology that is bound to have some problems. Sometimes progress breaks certain things that worked well in previous releases. I recommend you use the alternate installer since it is the traditional installer you used with Breezy. Personally, I use the alternate installer on my system just because of certain bugs I have found with the desktop installer.

That is my 2 cents.

As i described in my initial post ive already got it to work for installing with dist-upgrade and i really like d-i anyway so alternate cd is fine for installing but i was after it for using as a live CD which isn't working.

Kernel Sanders
June 11th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Dapper is the best linux distro I have ever seen. So no, i'm more thrilled than disappointed tbh.... :p

Adrenal
June 11th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Is your cd-rom set as your first-boot device?
And you're sure you burnt the disk correctly?

Naglfari
June 12th, 2006, 12:04 AM
I had a little bit of trouble with the install, but I attribute that to my being very inexperienced in burning CD's from ISO's. I decided to download the ISO and create a CD, just to have one. So after downloading and burning the CD, I ran Wipedrive on my system to make a totally clean install. It would get to screen 3 and hang every time.

So, I ran Wipedrive again (just to make sure to get all the cooties :D ), re-installed Breezy, and then just used update manager to update online and presto, all it well. And I loves it, loves it alot!!

djsroknrol
June 12th, 2006, 12:34 AM
I'm not disappointed in Dapper in the least...there are alot of improvements over Breezy and it's been real good to me....;)

siimo
June 12th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Is your cd-rom set as your first-boot device?
And you're sure you burnt the disk correctly?
Yes.
Yes.

if you read the thread i quoted then you'd realise its some problem with hardware and dapper's kernel - stuffs up with usb on some pcs, it hates samsung drives on some, some acpi needs to be off for live cd to work etc etc i've tried it all except changing my cd drive which i dont want to do. =;

Rikostan
June 12th, 2006, 01:01 AM
I am extremely happy with it. Out of the 10 PCS on our home network, only two of them are still Windows. I just haven't switched the web-server over yet and my wife doesn't want to change on her main laptop.

Lucho
June 12th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Iīve got bot 64-bit Breezy and 32-bit Dapper, and I agree with others:
Dapper Drake has tremendous potential. I installed the flight6, so I still havenīt
seen this installer everybody is talking about (but screenshots, yes). Mine was text-based all the way. And you know what? I donīt care one bit!
The text-based installation, if you actually read what the devs put on the screen,
is not at all difficult (but long, tedious, and boring? yes). As for hardware, the
overall track record for Ubuntu in general is enviable. Definately not perfect;
I plan to stick with Breezy for the time being, and- at least in my case- no
Ubuntu has managed to equal Debian Etch, which is awesome.
Other than that I canīt complain. Not one bit.

gcblig
June 12th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Just installed Dapper on Toshiba A60. My list:

Screen brightness is low
Touchpad is twitchy
ATI - do I need a new driver? Only get one resolution @ 60 Hz
Did I mention screen brightness?

Did not test wireless

So far I have only found one post on brightness which was no help to me. Other than that, its all good.

Compucore
June 12th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Overall Dapper was great to install or actually do a live update on my Dell. My Aptivca there was a small minor problem for my printer drivers that I am still trying to get working again. But don't know how to get that part up and running again and the final updates for it as well. http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=193003&highlight=compucore
But that is normal in anything here it is the learning experience when dealing with linux. I am sure everyone remembers their first time using a computer or learning windows for the first time was the same thing too. There was a learning curve for those too.

Compucore

GarethMB
June 12th, 2006, 01:02 PM
only that edev is broken. Otherwise incredible and a great improvement over breezy

dynnamitt
June 12th, 2006, 03:18 PM
something is happening::KS :p

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperPointReleaseProcess

"At the time of this writing a week after the release of Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, several installer issues have already arisen which are known to affect many users and which generate enormous numbers of bug reports. (This is not too surprising since we released a completely new installer frontend.) Part of long-term support for this release should include a means to correct installer bugs, which involves re-rolling CD images." - Collin Watson:KS

tom-ubuntu
June 12th, 2006, 04:44 PM
In general I am really happy with Dapper. It's a great release with huge improvements on the desktop for daily work. Just a little bit too orange in the theme ;)

Only problem I had was aswell with the installer on a fairly old notebook. Used then the server install CD for the base system, and then install xubuntu-desktop without any problem.

newbie2
June 12th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Dapper Drake verdict: It sucks

12 June, 2006
Loyal Tectonic readers will no doubt have picked up that Tectonic is an ardent Ubuntu supporter. It's what the Tectonic team uses to produce our online publication -- and much of the print publication too. Between Alastair Otter and I, we run six Ubuntu machines.

It's not just that Ubuntu was created by South African Mark Shuttleworth -- it's that it is just such a darn good distribution. Things work, usually with minimal effort. Getting new applications is a breeze with Synaptic and Apt. Default configurations are well thought-out and work on most machines 99% of the time. The community is huge, which means amazing support and resources at our disposal. I was certainly a happy and enthusiastic Ubuntu supporter ... until Dapper Drake was released.

That's why it's so hard to say it: Dapper Drake stinks. Compared to its predecessors, it is a poor release with critical flaws that will make its entry into the corporate world difficult at best.
http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1026
:(

givré
June 12th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Just installed Dapper on Toshiba A60. My list:

Screen brightness is low
Touchpad is twitchy
ATI - do I need a new driver? Only get one resolution @ 60 Hz
Did I mention screen brightness?

Did not test wireless

So far I have only found one post on brightness which was no help to me. Other than that, its all good.
For the screen brightness, there is a config in gconf
launch gconf-editor go to apps>gnome-power-manager it should be the first entry (it's in percent)

And about the question, i'm a definitly not disappointed bt dapper, it's a huge improvement from breezy. :cool:
Don't think of what people think, see how it runs for you, and if you are not happy, try something else, there is all the taste in linux

NewDisciple
June 12th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I'm recently new to linux. Started with Xandros, tried Breezy the same week and upgraded to Dapper the next. The installation was flawless. Had post install problems but that was me and not Dapper/Ubuntu. Now that I'm becoming more at ease with it, I have found that I really like this OS and plan on staying with it.

Compucore
June 13th, 2006, 03:18 AM
I find that overall its great. We all run into small problems here and there with it. But its usually minor on something that is not really critical. Even when I was going from Hoary, to Breezy, then to dapper for my Aptiva.But that is okay. I just might wait until my CD's come to do a proper installation of Dapper onto my old Aptiva. Its just being used for word processing and some spreadsheeting from time to time.

Compucore

IYY
June 13th, 2006, 04:53 AM
It's been good for me, but I've heard complaints from people.

ember
June 13th, 2006, 11:51 PM
I have problems with Dapper and I do still have them. I can only boot it (live cd, alternate install, installed system) when I set my USB to "1.1 only" which is not really acceptable.
I have tried Fedora Core 5 today and installation and booting worked without flaw (yet I'm was not too happy with this distribution once I had it installed ;)) - I'm trying OpenSuSE for completeness now, yet I'll wait for Dapper to work properly (or maybe I'll try building a 2.6.16 kernel) until I use it every day (which I did with Breezy and Warty).

K.Mandla
June 14th, 2006, 04:04 AM
System specs are:
athlon-xp 1700+
VIA KT266A motherboard
512MB DDR RAM
80GB WD IDE p-ata
Samsung DVD-+RW writemaster
ATI Radeon 9250 128MB
Hmm. I was using Dapper on an Athlon XP Venice on a FIC AU31-L motherboard, and had no problems; even used the onboard LAN, onboard sound and onboard GeForce4 MX graphics. NEC DVD+-RW, 2Gb DDR333 and a WD800 hard drive.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Did you try trading out any of your components, to pinpoint the problem? EDIT: Never mind. I just read the other thread.

AlphaMack
June 14th, 2006, 06:27 AM
I too was bitten by the installer bug. I was able to successfully load and install Dapper (both live and alternate CDs) on the following hardware:

15" PowerBook G4 (Rev. A)
12" iBook G3 (Late 2001)
Dell Inspiron 4100
A friend's custom basement bargain PC

I hit the wall with an old Apple iBook (clamshell, 300 MHz G3). Dapper would not load at all...but Breezy did without incident.

Despite the bug, Dapper is certainly far from disappointment.

Brino
June 15th, 2006, 01:07 AM
I've found Dapper to be a pleasure to install and use. I was prepared for much messing around and frustration to set it up - but it just worked! No more difficult than a Windows install, and much quicker.

Using it is just as good, easy, intuitive, and I'm just a Linux novice.

Congratulations to all the contribtors to the project.