PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] recommend a GUI for 11.10

s2u
March 16th, 2012, 10:51 AM
noob here looking for a GUI and how to info.
all help is greatly appreciated.

jerome1232
March 16th, 2012, 10:56 AM
A gui for what exactly?

sudodus
March 16th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums :-)

It makes it easier to help, if you describe what you have and what you want:
- the computer cpu, ram, graphics
- how you want to use your system (what kind of application program)

dave2001
March 16th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I disliked both the Unity interface and Gnome 3 fallback for 11.10. I went back to 10.04 so I could use the "classic gnome desktop". I suppose when the new upcoming version is released I may switch to it and use KDE.

So in short, I suppose my suggestions are: Either get Kubuntu (Ubuntu with KDE as a default install) or use an earlier version of Ubuntu.

Some new users seem to like Unity(the default GUI on 11.10), so you may want to try it out. Personally I think it's a poor design.

mraandtux
March 16th, 2012, 11:00 AM
What do you want to do? GUI comparisons? Learning to bulid a software? Reading official GTK/QT/Java docs is prefered.

s2u
March 16th, 2012, 06:28 PM
i recently purchased a used IBM W500 Thinkpad that came with Windows Vista.
T9600(2.8GHz), 4GB RAM, ATI FireGL V5700

am tired of being handcuffed by Microsoft and pouring money into a dark hole.

i was trying to find a better audio/music player and found Amarok.
the following image from the installation instructions was displayed.
http://www.simplehelp.net/images/amarokub/am01.png

my desktop does not give me this type of accessibility.

basically i want easier accessibility on the desktop.

Linux is new to me and i am still learning how to get around so please explain in simple terms when possible.

thanks to all for the help.

jerome1232
March 16th, 2012, 06:33 PM
What your looking at is an old Gnome2 DE, today we use Gnome3, Ubuntu uses Gnome3 with unity. To install software click on the Ubuntu Software center in your launcher.

See screenshot for example.

When in doubt use your dash to search, click on the Ubuntu logo in launcher to show the dash.'

I would suggest you give Unity a try, if your just really not into it here is a link with screenshots and descriptions of the most popular Desktop Environments for Linux http://www.renewablepcs.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce

If you wanted something that closely mimics Gnome2, you can install gnome-session-fallback from apt-get
Press ctrl+alt+t to open a terminal

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
Logout, at the login screen click the gear icon and select the gnome fallback session, and log in.

WasMeHere
March 16th, 2012, 07:13 PM
What your looking at is an old Gnome2 DE, today we use Gnome3, Ubuntu uses Gnome3 with unity. To install software click on the Ubuntu Software center in your launcher.

See screenshot for example.

When in doubt use your dash to search, click on the Ubuntu logo in launcher to show the dash.'

I would suggest you give Unity a try, if your just really not into it here is a link with screenshots and descriptions of the most popular Desktop Environments for Linux http://www.renewablepcs.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce

If you wanted something that closely mimics Gnome2, you can install gnome-session-fallback from apt-get
Press ctrl+alt+t to open a terminal

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
Logout, at the login screen click the gear icon and select the gnome fallback session, and log in.
+1
I suggest that you follow the advice of jerome1232. There are several graphical desktop environments available for Ubuntu, try first the default one, gnome 3 with Unity and gnome-session-fallback, and if you want to the other ones, KDE, XFCE and LXDE. Your computer is powerful enough for all of them. If there are issues with the graphics, try the built-in proprietary driver.

Finally, I think there was a small typing error in the command line to install gnome-session-fallback.

jerome1232
March 16th, 2012, 07:20 PM
+1
Finally, I think there was a small typing error in the command line to install gnome-session-fallback.

Fixed, thanks for the correction. :D

Also wanted to add, if you are going to experiment, try the session-fallback and gnome-shell first, since gnome-shell will only add a few megabytes to your install and uses the same libraries and software as Unity does. Other environments like kde, lxde, and xfce will add a ton of software to your install unless you chose to only install the core of the environment, in which case you won't get the full "feel".

dave2001
March 16th, 2012, 08:58 PM
@s2u

Ubuntu 10.04, named Lucid Lynx, would give you a desktop which looks like the screenshot you posted. Lucid is a so-called "long-term support" release, which means it will receive updates for quite a while yet.

rmayer32
March 17th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Classic Gnome is without a doubt the best but I will say as I hated Unity in the beginning, then I saw Windows 8 Preview. Ouch!

rfafonso
March 17th, 2012, 02:32 AM
I like Xubuntu. It's "almost" Ubuntu but without the Unity frustration!

jerome1232
March 17th, 2012, 02:40 AM
I personally love the dash, and whatever-it-is-they-call-the-search-feature in gnome-shell.

I am still a fence sitter when it comes to gnome-shell vs unity, I like features of both, but am more familiar with Unity.

s2u
March 17th, 2012, 09:10 AM
i have it now.
thanks much jerome1232 for the help as well as input from others.

have a blessed day.
s2u ):P

Gonzalo_VC
March 21st, 2012, 11:47 PM
There are nicer DEs, lighter, heavier...
I think that regarding customization (that may go hand by hand with "heaviness") KDE is top 1.
I like them all for different reasons, I am used to Gnome in Ubuntu, but have used XFCE and LXDE (even Enlightenment for a while).

Check this out: http://www.muktware.com/articles/3430/kde-better-unity

Cheers.