PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partial dist upgrade messed unity

pmatos
March 16th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Hi,

I have been on 11.10 since release and today I got notification of a partial dist release. After that it recommended me to restart and I did so. Upon starting Unity, it just shows the background and a themeless bar on top and nothing else. I need to kill Xorg and start with Ubuntu2d to have any luck into using ubuntu.

Any ideas what the problem might be or where unity writes its logs so I can understand what's going wrong?

Cheers,

Paulo Matos

jerrrys
March 16th, 2012, 01:37 PM
it can happen

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1641400

pmatos
March 16th, 2012, 02:14 PM
it can happen

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1641400

Oh great! Should've seen that before. I guess in time I will get another partial upgrade that will fix things?

jerrrys
March 16th, 2012, 02:17 PM
That is (should be) correct

You can always try in terminal:

sudo apt-get update

pmatos
March 19th, 2012, 03:29 PM
That is (should be) correct

You can always try in terminal:

sudo apt-get update

Unfornately no update shows up since I messed up the system. Now, whenever I open a terminal, nothing shows up, logging in takes ages, etc etc.

Any suggestions on how to force reinstall of all the basic ubuntu desktop packages?

Cheers,

Paulo Matos

jerrrys
March 19th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Try this to get a terminal.

Load ubuntu and press Ctrl Alt F5 keys at the same time and then try to log in.

If you get that far then enter:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo reboot

pmatos
March 19th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Try this to get a terminal.

Load ubuntu and press Ctrl Alt F5 keys at the same time and then try to log in.

If you get that far then enter:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo reboot

Here's what happens, if I go to a virtual terminal, F2 for example, I login and it takes ages. If I do Ctrl-C, I get a prompt. Doing apt-get update/upgrade shows nothing.

I can get into X but login takes ages. Then everything seems to be fine until I try to open a terminal (gnome-terminal/Xterm you name it), it takes forever to load it and I end up giving up.

jerrrys
March 19th, 2012, 07:43 PM
what about rescue mode

pmatos
March 20th, 2012, 04:48 PM
what about rescue mode

Rescue mode worked but normal mode didn't. Went nuts and did a dist-upgrade to 12.04.

Unfortunately not all is well, even though a lot of things got better.
I can only start Ubuntu 2D. Normal ubuntu login fails because unity bar and top bar don't load. Any way to understand what's going on (log file)?

jerrrys
March 20th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Wow, upgraded to 12o4, I'm impressed. But thats probably the last thing you wanted to do. Im running 12o4 and its good, but still a work in progress. I think you have added to your problems.

pmatos
March 20th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Wow, upgraded to 12o4, I'm impressed. But thats probably the last thing you wanted to do. Im running 12o4 and its good, but still a work in progress. I think you have added to your problems.

Well, it was a drastic action but at least now I can work. Before I couldn't so all in all it was a positive decision.

I just can't login into Ubuntu - normal mode. Any ideas where the logs are (if unity dumps logs...)?

jerrrys
March 20th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Well, it was a drastic action but at least now I can work. Before I couldn't so all in all it was a positive decision.

I just can't login into Ubuntu - normal mode. Any ideas where the logs are (if unity dumps logs...)?

Your /var/log files can be view using the "System Log Viewer"

Two other commands to try that will attempt to fix broken packages:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get install -f

pmatos
March 27th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Your /var/log files can be view using the "System Log Viewer"

Two other commands to try that will attempt to fix broken packages:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get install -f

Thanks, a couple of installs and upgrades later and everything seems to be fine.