PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem installing on laptop

LighterThief
March 16th, 2012, 03:56 AM
I've been running Dual boot Ubuntu on my desktop for a week or so now and quite like it. However, yesterday I tried installing ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop but run into a problem trying to set up the wireless connection during the instalation. My desktop runs from a wired DSL line which then goes to a linksys wireless router which my laptop uses so I can move around the house with it. After a couple of tries my laptop picked up that there was a wireless signal but kept telling me I was using the wrong pass key. I logged into my router and double checked all the settings and pass and everything appeared to be in order but yet I kept running into the same problem. That's when I got on my PC and run 'ifconfig' and noticed it didn't list 'wlan0' which i'm guessing it should. I googled around for the better part of 90 minutes and still couldn't find anything that helped me solve the problem. I have no problems connecting with my laptop using Win7 and in the past when i have run an older version of Ubuntu on my laptop (Custom version of 8.10 iirc) with the same setup I had no problems setting it up either. I don't have that much experience with Linux so if someone could help me out or even point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

wojox
March 16th, 2012, 04:03 AM
Plug in an Ethernet cable and do your install. You can then download your wireless driver from the repo's after.

varunendra
March 16th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Plug in an Ethernet cable and do your install. You can then download your wireless driver from the repo's after.
Since the laptop is detecting a wireless signal, it means the driver has been already picked up and working. But yes, it may be a wrong one in some cases.

@LighterThief,
Please open a terminal, and run & post the outputs of the following commands:

uname -mr
lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
lsmod
ifconfig -a
iwconfig
cat etc/network/interfaces
rfkill list all
iwlist scan
While posting the outputs, click on # at the top of the edit box (in which you create new posts) to auto-generate [ code] and [ /code] tags, then copy-paste the output code in-between those tags.

LighterThief
March 17th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Did you want me to do that from my desktop or the laptop once I install with it pluged in to the ethernet cable? I'm going to try the laptop again this afternoon

varunendra
March 17th, 2012, 03:37 AM
From your laptop.