PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Permissions...

meduser
March 16th, 2012, 02:45 AM
I have Kubuntu 11.10 running on my pc. I am writing a web page, from scratch using php/mysql/ajax/ javascript/ css, etc, etc..

I have successfully installed apache, Mysql, PHP, etc.

The issue I am having is the directory used to loading pages is the www directory in the var directory.

I want to do one of 2 things here. I either need to give myself permissions to be able to write to the /var/www directory, or moving the www directory to ,say, to my dropbox. I would prefer to move it to my dropbox, that way I can access the files from school. I don't know where the documentation is for the www folder, to be able to change the directories location for things to work right. Any help is extremely appreciated, as right now, I am moving the folders, file by file through the terminal as root....needless to say it is a long and frustrating procedure.

Thanks in advance.

matt_symes
March 16th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Hi

I want to do one of 2 things here. I either need to give myself permissions to be able to write to the /var/www directory

Make yourself a member of the group www-data. Make sure www-data has group read, write access to /var/www

, or moving the www directory to ,say, to my dropbox.

Create a symbolic link (/var/www) to your dropbox folder.

Kind regards

meduser
March 16th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Hi

Make yourself a member of the group www-data. Make sure www-data has group read, write access to /var/www

Create a symbolic link (/var/www) to your dropbox folder.

Kind regards

Thanks so much..I created the symbolic links and all is great. Thanks again.