PDA

View Full Version : Which UltraPortable Notebooks have specifically the(AMDTurion 64 X2 TL-60)processor?

RAV TUX
June 11th, 2006, 06:21 AM
The time has come for my wife to buy a new notebook computer. I was looking at the Fujitsu S2110 which comes with:

AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology Model MT-32

which doesn't have dual-core technology.

So I am specifically looking for a Ultra-Portable(4lbs or less) Notebook which has:

AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology (specifically:Turion 64 X2 TL-60)

please provide any links here if you know of any computer companies selling their system with this processor.

RAV TUX
June 11th, 2006, 06:34 AM
The time has come for my wife to buy a new notebook computer. I was looking at the Fujitsu S2110 which comes with:

AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology Model MT-32

which doesn't have dual-core technology.

So I am specifically looking for a Ultra-Portable(4lbs or less) Notebook which has:

AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology (specifically:Turion 64 X2 TL-60)

please provide any links here if you know of any computer companies selling their system with this processor.
I did find this article which has some clues:

http://laptoplogic.com/news/detail.php?id=898

http://laptoplogic.com/img/holder.gif AMD Launches Turion 64 X2
Wednesday, May 17, 2006 9:42 PM
Average Story Rating: http://laptoplogic.com/img/ratings/5.gif AMD has launched the Turion 64 X2 dual-core 64-bit mobile processor.
AMD today introduced the Turion 64 X2 series mobile processor, a dual-core mobile processor featuring 64-bit technology.
http://laptoplogic.com/img/holder.gif
http://laptoplogic.com/img/holder.gif The Turion 64 X2 series is based off the AMD K8 core, which is used in AMD's extremely successful Athlon 64 and Opteron series. Turion 64 X2 processors build upon K8's feature set with Multi-core Power Management, AMD Digital Media Xpress, and AMD Virtualization.
Multi-core Power Management enables voltage and clock multiplier adjustments on a per-core basis. The result is reduced power consumption and extended battery life.
AMD claims that its Digital Media Xpress technology enables accelerated image processing, audio and video encoding and decoding, and 3D graphics rendering. Unfortunately, AMD did not fully explain how they achieved this feat.
AMD Virtualization technology, codenamed Pacifica, enables hardware virtualization support. This means that virtual operating systems will approach or equal the speed of a native operating system. For business and corporate users, AMD Virtualization technology will be incredibly useful.
The AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile processor will be found in laptops from Acer, ASUS, BenQ, Flocity, FSC, Fujitsu, Gateway, HP, MSI, NEC, Packard Bell, Sotec and TongFang.
Turion 64 X2 models TL-50, TL-52, TL-56, and TL-60 are available immediately worldwide. Unfortunately, AMD did not release the specifications of each model. However, based on previously leaked information, all the models probably have a TDP of 35W.
The table below lists AMD's offical Turion 64 X2 bulk pricing as well as our estimates for clock speed and L2 cache sizes.
Model Number
Cost
Estimated Clock Speed
Estimated L2 Cache Size
TL-60
$354
2.0GHz
2x512KB
TL-56
$263
1.8GHz
2x512KB
TL-52
$220
1.6GHz
2x512KB
TL-50
$184
1.6GHz
2x256KB
Judging from the specifications, the models look extremely competitive with the Intel Core Duo family.
Keep your eyes peeled as Laptop Logic uncovers more Turion 64 X2 information!
Source (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543%7E108456,00.html)
Press Release
— Acer, Fujitsu Siemens, Gateway, HP Among Leading Manufacturers Launching AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile Technology-based Notebook PCs —

SUNNYVALE, Calif. -- May 17, 2006 --AMD (NYSE: AMD) today introduced AMD Turion™ 64 X2 mobile technology, the first and only family of 64-bit dual-core processors designed for thin and light notebook PCs. AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology allows people to get more from their mobile lifestyle through long battery life and outstanding performance, even when using multiple applications simultaneously, including demanding digital media applications.

Continuing its technology leadership, AMD also is bringing 64-bit computing to the Mobile AMD Sempron™ processor family. Now AMD delivers the only complete mobile product portfolio offering the ability to seamlessly transition between 32- and 64-bit computing.

“AMD is first to market with the only 64-bit dual-core mobile processor, driving the wave of next-generation mobile platforms that are ready today to run the upcoming 64-bit version of Microsoft Windows Vista™,” said Chris Cloran, vice president, AMD Mobile Division. “This is advanced mobile technology for the office or home, packing dual-core processing for extreme multi-tasking, 64-bit computing, extended battery life and cutting-edge technology from industry leaders in wireless, connectivity and graphics.”

Using an open standards-based approach, AMD collaborates with industry leaders in graphics and wireless solutions to enable OEM customers to deliver feature-rich notebooks that stand out from the crowd of overly standardized choices. AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology-based notebooks will offer outstanding graphics and leading wireless solutions for a visually engaging experience, and high-speed connectivity throughout the home or office.

"AMD dual-core technology will help provide HP consumer and commercial notebook customers the freedom to work and play virtually anytime, anywhere," said Ted Clark, senior vice president and general manager, Notebook Global Business Unit, HP. "Our consumer notebooks based on AMD's Turion 64 X2 mobile technology, including the latest HP Pavilion and Compaq Presario models, offer outstanding performance, mobile entertainment and a stylish new look."

AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology is based on the same industry-leading Direct Connect Architecture featured in the AMD Opteron™ and AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 processors, providing high-speed links between cores, memory and I/O for increased system performance. The advanced feature set of AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology also includes:
Multi-core Power Management, enabling reduced power consumption for extended battery life;
AMD Digital Media Xpress for accelerated image processing, audio and video encoding and decoding, 3D graphic rendering; and
AMD Virtualization, providing improved performance, reliability, and security for virtualized environments. Business professionals and consumers worldwide can expect to see notebooks based on AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology in retail stores and through commercial distribution channels this quarter. Systems are initially expected from Acer, ASUS, BenQ, Flocity, FSC, Fujitsu, Gateway, HP, MSI, NEC, Packard Bell, Sotec and TongFang.

AMD also has taken the next step in the evolution of its open platform approach by collaborating with ATI Technologies Inc. and NVIDIA Corporation to deliver mobile reference designs based on leading, open industry-standard technologies. These reference designs are an example of best practices in notebook PC development based on AMD and collaborative technologies. The reference designs help ensure AMD customers get to market more quickly, and also help reduce platform development costs.

AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology is the only mobile processor today that is optimized for the 64-bit versions of the upcoming Microsoft Windows Vista operating system. AMD has worked closely with Microsoft to identify and develop key hardware components in support of Microsoft Windows Vista, the next generation Windows® operating system. In addition to high-end multimedia, premium gaming and secure commercial notebooks, AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology is an excellent choice for a mobile workstation-class platforms which allow customers to get high performance from their 32- and 64-bit workstation applications.

“In support of the design of Windows Vista, it is crucial to choose processors that will provide an optimal experience for the various ways in which notebooks are used,” said Mika Krammer, director, Windows Client Mobility Group. “The new and powerful AMD Turion 64 dual-core mobile technology is an excellent choice for Windows Vista.”

Extending AMD CSIP Program
With the introduction of AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology, AMD commenced the next stability period of its Mobile Commercial Stable Image Platform program. This provides OEMs a 15-month disk image stability period for improved system manageability. Industry-leading chipset providers for this program include ATI, NVIDIA, Atheros and Broadcom.

Expanding Mobile Channel Initiatives
AMD also is expanding its Mobile WOF (Processor in a Box/Without a Fan) offering to include AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology processors. With the availability of AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology in WOF, distributors and solution providers now have choice and flexibility when building platforms to better address the needs of their customers.

Additionally, AMD plans to work with select Original Design Manufacturers (ODM) and the channel ecosystem to deliver a broad portfolio of AMD validated, fully-configured whitebooks to small OEMs and through distribution. By offering easier access to AMD mobile technology and a broad portfolio of quality AMD-based whitebooks, the channel is able to offer their customers a richer set of differentiated solutions.

Pricing and Availability
AMD Turion 64 X2 models TL-50, TL-52, TL-56 and TL-60 are available immediately worldwide. The AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology family ranges from $184-$354 in 1K-unit quantities. For pricing details, please visit: http://www.amd.com/pricing (http://www.amd.com/pricing).

RAV TUX
June 11th, 2006, 07:08 AM
I think I found one:

MSI S271 at 4.18 lbs

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/newsrelease/news_page.php?UID=473

MSI first in the world to sell AMD X2 Notebooks
MSI announces S271 super flagship model to provide the finest performance from the Dual Core

MSI today announced the first-in-the-world and best dual core solution, the sensational MSI S271 notebook . This notebook is accessorized with AMD's most powerful X2 dual core, Turion™ 64 X2 Dual Core Platform processor, becoming the best candidate as the best notebook. This brand new MSI S271 comes with a durable and elegant Al-Mg alloy case, high definition Super Glare Type 12" WXGA LCD, embedded ATi UMA graphic interface, and Digital Surround Sound, as well as some top notch features including MSI's Dual CoreCell, 802.11b/g and BlueTooth 2.0 wireless communication. All these features are stored in a compact body, only 2 cm in thickness and less than 2 kgs in weight. In short, MSI S271 is all you have dreamed for.
MSI S271 notebook , designed for the business people who are looking for high mobility and high calculation capacity, is built upon the Turion™ 64 X2 core, providing high multitasking efficiency and allowing your work to be done in the shortest time. It uses a full size keyboard, implying you can rapidly enter texts or documents just like you have been doing with a desktop. The Unique Butterfly Touchpad is designed with high sensibility, which results smooth operation in moving a cursor, clicking, scrolling and browsing the web pages.
MSI S271 is equipped with a 12-inch high definition LCD, which comes with perfect 16:10 WXGA ratio and 1280×800 pixels. The embedded ATI RADEON® Xpress200 graphic chip can handle all 3D games and professional graphic design software applications, thus satisfying the needs for work and entertainment. MSI S271 has been designed for the best performance and best hardware arrangement without considering the production cost. It comes with 512M B or 1GB of DDR2 memory and 60 ~ 120GB high capacity HDD, 5400rpm, facilitating user using more applications, even professional ones, concurrently. Furthermore, MSI S271 supports wireless network equipment, such as 802.11b/g wireless network interface supporting 54M bps transfer rate, allowing users surf freely at airports, restaurants, offices etc. The Bluetooth 2.0 wireless communication allows more connections to digital mobile devices and peripherals, which includes PDA, mobile phones, earphones, printers, walkmans, GPS and Bluetooth mouse, etc. Life in the digital era deserves a convenient digital lifestyle.
Equipped with MSI's latest Dual CoreCell ASIC, MSI S271 has successfully optimized its efficiency, silence, and image quality, bringing better efficiency and longer battery time. For the efficiency, the dynamic overclocking technology for CPU and GPU improves the overall processing efficiency and effectively prolongs the battery life. For the silence, Dual CoreCell applies the silence energy saving technology, which reduces the fan operation according to the system detection, to meet the silence requirements. For the image quality, along with Vivid, Dual Core Center technologies, MSI S271 also uses the dynamic boost voltage mode to provide extra voltage to the LCD for displaying not only more vivid, brighter and saturated color, but also genuine color.
MSI S271 is officially in the market now. You may find it in any MSI dealers and authorized retailers, and try it yourself and feel its power and attraction. You can visit our website http://cweb.msi.com.tw/ (http://cweb.msi.com.tw/) for more detailed.

http://www.msicomputer.com/

RAV TUX
June 11th, 2006, 07:14 AM
I think I found one:

MSI S271 at 4.18 lbs

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/newsrelease/news_page.php?UID=473

MSI first in the world to sell AMD X2 Notebooks
MSI announces S271 super flagship model to provide the finest performance from the Dual Core

MSI today announced the first-in-the-world and best dual core solution, the sensational MSI S271 notebook . This notebook is accessorized with AMD's most powerful X2 dual core, Turion™ 64 X2 Dual Core Platform processor, becoming the best candidate as the best notebook. This brand new MSI S271 comes with a durable and elegant Al-Mg alloy case, high definition Super Glare Type 12" WXGA LCD, embedded ATi UMA graphic interface, and Digital Surround Sound, as well as some top notch features including MSI's Dual CoreCell, 802.11b/g and BlueTooth 2.0 wireless communication. All these features are stored in a compact body, only 2 cm in thickness and less than 2 kgs in weight. In short, MSI S271 is all you have dreamed for.
MSI S271 notebook , designed for the business people who are looking for high mobility and high calculation capacity, is built upon the Turion™ 64 X2 core, providing high multitasking efficiency and allowing your work to be done in the shortest time. It uses a full size keyboard, implying you can rapidly enter texts or documents just like you have been doing with a desktop. The Unique Butterfly Touchpad is designed with high sensibility, which results smooth operation in moving a cursor, clicking, scrolling and browsing the web pages.
MSI S271 is equipped with a 12-inch high definition LCD, which comes with perfect 16:10 WXGA ratio and 1280×800 pixels. The embedded ATI RADEON® Xpress200 graphic chip can handle all 3D games and professional graphic design software applications, thus satisfying the needs for work and entertainment. MSI S271 has been designed for the best performance and best hardware arrangement without considering the production cost. It comes with 512M B or 1GB of DDR2 memory and 60 ~ 120GB high capacity HDD, 5400rpm, facilitating user using more applications, even professional ones, concurrently. Furthermore, MSI S271 supports wireless network equipment, such as 802.11b/g wireless network interface supporting 54M bps transfer rate, allowing users surf freely at airports, restaurants, offices etc. The Bluetooth 2.0 wireless communication allows more connections to digital mobile devices and peripherals, which includes PDA, mobile phones, earphones, printers, walkmans, GPS and Bluetooth mouse, etc. Life in the digital era deserves a convenient digital lifestyle.
Equipped with MSI's latest Dual CoreCell ASIC, MSI S271 has successfully optimized its efficiency, silence, and image quality, bringing better efficiency and longer battery time. For the efficiency, the dynamic overclocking technology for CPU and GPU improves the overall processing efficiency and effectively prolongs the battery life. For the silence, Dual CoreCell applies the silence energy saving technology, which reduces the fan operation according to the system detection, to meet the silence requirements. For the image quality, along with Vivid, Dual Core Center technologies, MSI S271 also uses the dynamic boost voltage mode to provide extra voltage to the LCD for displaying not only more vivid, brighter and saturated color, but also genuine color.
MSI S271 is officially in the market now. You may find it in any MSI dealers and authorized retailers, and try it yourself and feel its power and attraction. You can visit our website http://cweb.msi.com.tw/ (http://cweb.msi.com.tw/) for more detailed.

http://www.msicomputer.com/

Damn they only have the TL-50 NOT the TL-60!

http://www.msicomputer.com/NB/product_spec.asp?model=S271

ericesque
June 11th, 2006, 07:17 AM
high definition Super Glare Type 12" WXGA LCD

None of that lame 'regular' glare here. Only top quality glare from MSI-- what they like to call SUPER GLARE!

RAV TUX
June 11th, 2006, 07:22 AM
None of that lame 'regular' glare here. Only top quality glare from MSI-- what they like to call SUPER GLARE!

At this point I think I am going to have to build my own Ultra-portable notebook?

Isn't there any company out there yet that has what I am looking for?

RAV TUX
June 11th, 2006, 07:28 AM
I'm seriously thinking of building my own:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/05/04/building_your_dream_notebook/

(or settle for the Fujitsu, or wait for 2 more months and see what hits the market at the end of the summer)

ericesque
June 11th, 2006, 07:38 AM
if you build your own, and are inclined to do so, document the process (w/ pics!). I'm sure folks would be interested to see how it goes.

Though I would have to say the waiting idea may be your best bet. It takes a little time for computer manufacturers to roll out new models with the latest processors. You'll have Core Duo and X2 models out in a matter of months.

Buy yourself some time by defragging the wife's computer-- or run crap cleaner if it's a windows box.

Out of curiosity, why does she need an X2? Simply for future-proofness or does she have some real horsepower needs?

RAV TUX
June 11th, 2006, 03:03 PM
if you build your own, and are inclined to do so, document the process (w/ pics!). I'm sure folks would be interested to see how it goes.

Though I would have to say the waiting idea may be your best bet. It takes a little time for computer manufacturers to roll out new models with the latest processors. You'll have Core Duo and X2 models out in a matter of months.

Buy yourself some time by defragging the wife's computer-- or run crap cleaner if it's a windows box.

Out of curiosity, why does she need an X2? Simply for future-proofness or does she have some real horsepower needs?
she currently has a desktop with Intel EM64T, (64-bit dual-core) I don't think she could stand for a slow computer.

I've heard AMD 64-bit dual-core is better then Intel.

I think I will take the wait for 2 months then buy approach. I really like Fujitsu's warranties.

are AMD 64-bit dual-core computers really significantly better then Intel 64-bit dual-core?
(I don't ethically like the Skype stunt Intel pulled recently).

treris
June 12th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I would say that there might be a difference in performance of course, but I guess that for a ultraportable laptop battery life might be more important than sheer cpu performance, especially because the cpu will be powered down a bit to save energy anyway.

my computer has a amd64 venice core cpu running at 2,2 GHz under full load, normally however it is working at just about 1 GHz and even then it's quick enough for me. To me battery life and plenty of RAM would be more important than sheer cpu performance when buying an ultraportable

just my 2 cents

mips
June 12th, 2006, 05:13 PM
http://shop.amd.com/us-en/products/7.aspx
http://shop.amd.com/us-en/solutions/6/2.aspx?tier=R&sid=csthin

could be a starting point

RAV TUX
June 13th, 2006, 02:46 AM
I would say that there might be a difference in performance of course, but I guess that for a ultraportable laptop battery life might be more important than sheer cpu performance, especially because the cpu will be powered down a bit to save energy anyway.

my computer has a amd64 venice core cpu running at 2,2 GHz under full load, normally however it is working at just about 1 GHz and even then it's quick enough for me. To me battery life and plenty of RAM would be more important than sheer cpu performance when buying an ultraportable

just my 2 cents

all of these aspects are important to me but you have to start somewhere.

RAV TUX
June 13th, 2006, 02:48 AM
http://shop.amd.com/us-en/products/7.aspx
http://shop.amd.com/us-en/solutions/6/2.aspx?tier=R&sid=csthin

could be a starting point

Thanks for the links but I already refered to these, They aren't much helpful, I am looking not just a specific processor but a specific model processor:

AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60

...but it is a good start. Again, Thank You.

changlinn
October 9th, 2006, 04:50 AM
The TL-60 is currently the top of the line processor in AMD mobile terms, and as any Geek will tell you unless you have won the Lotto you don't buy top of the line anything. It always has a 20+% premium on it, and you won't see 20% performance increase for that extra money.
I actually bought an msi S271 as it seemed like a very good deal, and here in Australia they do them without windows which saved me money. I wanted the small screen and light weight, 64bit cpu was just a bonus, so thats why I went this way, also got a 3 year warranty for a pittance compared to the AU$400 that dell wanted to charge me.
The MSI's can be highly customised, I got the tl-56 (half the price of the tl-60 chip) and got 1gb of ram on one chip and a 7200rpm sata drive, so it should be very quick. It was also not too expensive, just over AU$2000 (about 900UK pound, or US$1100).
I haven't got home yet, but my wife told me it just arrived. I'll post back if anyone wants to hear how dapper goes on this little ripper.

maniacmusician
October 9th, 2006, 06:43 AM
what's the video card on that baby?

sure, post back with your results.

changlinn
October 10th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Ati Radeon xpress 200
Results where good, once I found a thread outlying the problems with the laptop. Ie buggy acpi and buggy BIOS. see here http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=99045.0
I have had to add acpi=off in my boot options. But it runs and powernow runs and everything ran straight off the bat as well as it could, except the radeon, which just required a quick easyubuntu install and drivers and done.
Let me tell you the laptop flies... it is quicker than my AMD 2600+ desktop, quicker than any laptop or server I have used. I think I have at most used about 40% of the processor when simultaneously opening ff thunderbird, gaim and doing a synaptic update.
The wireless card seems to be fully supported, same with all the other hardware that I have tested so far.