PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] When Maveric 10.10 Sunsets

rhalls
March 15th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Folks:
I am coming from 20 years on Windows/Dos over to Linux.
I have tried Ubuntu 10.10 and Mint 11 triple boot with WinXP on my laptop, and I love Linux.
I want to install Ubuntu 10.10 on my home office desktop, but am worried I might not get it done before support ends in a few weeks, and the Canonical repositories close.

My questions:
1) If I install 10.10 after April, will I be able to get the UPDATES that were provided by Canonical BEFORE April?

2) Do I need to install all the ancillary software that I use with MM (such as Nvidia drivers, arista, dockey, UFW, prism, wunderlist) BEFORE the repositories close?

3) What is the best way to create a list of software and versions that are installed on my laptop 10.10, so that I can install it all on my home desktop?

Any help appreciated.
Bob

haqking
March 15th, 2012, 10:03 PM
any particular reason for 10.10 ?

10.04 is the LTS so long term support and will give you an extra year if you are trying to avoid unity etc.

Depending on your reasons for wanting 10.10 we can offer extra advice say using a different DE for example.

but as i say 10.04 will be supported until april 2013

cheers

howefield
March 15th, 2012, 10:13 PM
If I install 10.10 after April, will I be able to get the UPDATES that were provided by Canonical BEFORE April?

Yes, but you'll need to point to the old-releases repository.

Do I need to install all the ancillary software that I use with MM (such as Nvidia drivers, arista, dockey, UFW, prism, wunderlist) BEFORE the repositories close?

As above.

What is the best way to create a list of software and versions that are installed on my laptop 10.10, so that I can install it all on my home desktop?

Try here.. http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-reinstall-all-of-currently-installed-packages-in-fresh-ubuntu-install.html

That said, would always recommend running a supported version of Ubuntu.

kansasnoob
March 15th, 2012, 10:38 PM
any particular reason for 10.10 ?

10.04 is the LTS so long term support and will give you an extra year if you are trying to avoid unity etc.

Depending on your reasons for wanting 10.10 we can offer extra advice say using a different DE for example.

but as i say 10.04 will be supported until april 2013

cheers

+1 X a gazillion!

Go with Lucid for now! By the time Precise reaches it's first point-release update (12.04.1) it'll be great and I'll have great workarounds up for those who want a truly "classic" DE; eg:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1886799

Or you could try Oneiric with Unity on top of Gnome 3.

Either Lucid or Oneiric will be upgradeable to Precise, just wait until Precise has it's first whiskers before doing so ............. unless you like fixing things ;)

rhalls
March 16th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Folks:
Thanks to all for such a quick response!

1) I want to stick with 10.10 for a few months more: no time to configure a new DE right now, and 10.10 seems bulletproof on my current hardware (Dell Optiplex 780 and old Dell Precision 380). Once I install 12.04 along side of 10.10 and play with it for a while, I'll switch to a supported OS.

2) My business data is on WinXP, and it would be easier to move that over to an OS I already know (10.10), then move to 12.04 once the biz info is moved. One big project at a time!

One more question, if I may: how will I find the "old-releases repository"?

Thanks again!

Bob

BBQdave
March 16th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Go with Lucid for now! By the time Precise reaches it's first point-release update (12.04.1) it'll be great and I'll have great workarounds up for those who want a truly "classic" DE

Yes, I would strongly recommend Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. That way you keep an updated system (security patches), plus similar desktop environment (similar to 10.10). And you have time to try Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or Xubuntu 12.04 LTS, for your next distro, when Ubuntu 10.04 LTS reaches EOL.

Zill
March 16th, 2012, 12:16 PM
...One more question, if I may: how will I find the "old-releases repository"?
Open Google and enter "Ubuntu old-releases repository" into the search box.

Old Ubuntu Releases (http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/) is returned as the first result.