PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 Cinnamon 1.4 problem

rmcellig
March 15th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I am running the latest beta release of 12.04. I just installed Cinnamon 1.4 according to these instructions for 12.04:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon

After a restart, Ubuntu hangs when trying to display the desktop. What should I do? How can I get back to my regular Gnome desktop? When I start up my machine, I am not prompted for a password when booting into 12.04. Options?

kc1di
March 15th, 2012, 12:20 PM
When you get to the Login screen under session select ubuntu that will take to back to the unity desktop.

rmcellig
March 15th, 2012, 12:27 PM
That's my problem. I don't see the login screen. It goes right into Cinnamon. Is there a way on startup to force the login screen to appear? Or maybe there is another way?

rmcellig
March 15th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I solved my problem. I restarted my machine and selected the recovery mode option from the GRUB menu. This allowed me to see the recovery options. When I restarted my machine again, Ubuntu booted into Gnome so I was at least able to logout and re-login in selecting the regular Ubuntu option.

I would still like to try out Cinnamon 1.4 in 12.04. Anyone have any success doing this?

kc1di
March 15th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I solved my problem. I restarted my machine and selected the recovery mode option from the GRUB menu. This allowed me to see the recovery options. When I restarted my machine again, Ubuntu booted into Gnome so I was at least able to logout and re-login in selecting the regular Ubuntu option.

I would still like to try out Cinnamon 1.4 in 12.04. Anyone have any success doing this?
Glad you found the answer. Sorry I'm at work now and could get back to you quickly. I'll give cinnamon 1.4 a try when I get home tonight and see what happens.

rmcellig
March 15th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I would like to know ow it goes for you especially if you are running it in 12.04. Have a good day!! I LOVE Linux!!

kc1di
March 15th, 2012, 07:39 PM
installed it and it does not work here on 12.04 either , will just wait for final of 12.04 and see what happens.

swizZ8
March 16th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Clement Lefebvre:

"Whether people updated from 1.3 to 1.4 or kept 1.3 in Ubuntu 12.04, they can no longer run Cinnamon if they updated Clutter or Gnome. In other words.. it doesn’t matter whether Precise users updated Cinnamon to 1.4… the minute they update Clutter/GNOME they can no longer run Cinnamon (any version)."

rmcellig
March 16th, 2012, 10:46 AM
That's too bad. I was really looking forward to trying out Cinnamon and maybe using it as my main desktop manager in 12.04 ;(

kc1di
March 16th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Clement Lefebvre:

"Whether people updated from 1.3 to 1.4 or kept 1.3 in Ubuntu 12.04, they can no longer run Cinnamon if they updated Clutter or Gnome. In other words.. it doesn’t matter whether Precise users updated Cinnamon to 1.4… the minute they update Clutter/GNOME they can no longer run Cinnamon (any version)."
thank you for the info. Maybe it will be sorted out later.
In the mean time I'm getting used to unity.

swizZ8
March 16th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Clem also said:

"You’ll need to wait for Gnome Shell 3.4 and a future release of Cinnamon for these desktops to work in Precise again."

Be patient my friend.

:wink:

rmcellig
March 16th, 2012, 12:44 PM
So am I. Unity is not really all that bad actually.

swizZ8
March 17th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Gnome fallback until it dies like a hero. :P