PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why does my Ubuntu slow down?

heehoo
March 15th, 2012, 05:43 AM
It seems that about an hour after I'm on the screen goes black, then comes back on and is much slower. So much so, I have to restart the machine. I have Ubuntu 11.10 and it does this almost every time. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Any help would be appreciated.

royalprakash
March 15th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Disable unused startup programs.

system -> Preferences -> Startup Applications
and
sudo apt-get install preload

heehoo
March 15th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Thanks, I couldn't find my preferences so I just entered the text in the terminal... much appreciated.

heehoo
March 15th, 2012, 08:54 AM
The other problem I have is this - I visit a webpage that has a lot of text, and sometimes, the page freezes for a few seconds, then unfreezes but the comp is slower and I have to restart. I wonder why that is. :(

Peripheral Visionary
March 15th, 2012, 10:37 AM
I'm having the same issue with Xubuntu, but I haven't said anything because I'm testing 12.04. It slows down over a few hours, and a reboot "fixes" it (temporarily). It seems that mere "up time" is all it takes to slow everything down.

heehoo
March 15th, 2012, 07:06 PM
^^That's me in a nutshell. I just wish I could pinpoint what it is that's causing this. I like the system but don't want to have to downgrade because of it.

tbhatia4
March 15th, 2012, 07:21 PM
It seems that about an hour after I'm on the screen goes black, then comes back on and is much slower. So much so, I have to restart the machine. I have Ubuntu 11.10 and it does this almost every time. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Any help would be appreciated.

which graphic card is there in your system???

madjr
March 15th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Hardware Specs and how much ram you have please as you havent given us this info yet.

heehoo
March 16th, 2012, 02:21 AM
2 gigs or ram, and I am guessing the hardware is Pentium 4 (?)

Peripheral Visionary
March 16th, 2012, 05:49 AM
I'm having the same issue with Xubuntu, but I haven't said anything because I'm testing 12.04. It slows down over a few hours, and a reboot "fixes" it (temporarily). It seems that mere "up time" is all it takes to slow everything down.

UPDATE: Well as it turns out my efforts to install it while preserving a separate /home partition were the culprit. I think. A brand new installation giving it the entire drive may have solved the problem... I'll let y'all know tomorrow after this computer has had a few hours of up-time!

Rodney9
March 16th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Browsers are infamous for leaking memory.

Rodney

Peripheral Visionary
March 16th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Browsers are infamous for leaking memory.

One browser in particular, lol. I think I'll try some others on for size. Midori, Chromium, Opera, maybe even Seamonkey (I heard that's the old Netscape browser, resurrected by some folks at Mozilla).