PDA

View Full Version : Hardened Notebook - Compatibility?

sandyd
March 14th, 2012, 09:10 PM
With all the abuse and damage that my laptop has been incurring up on the road, I decided last year to instead save for one of those extremely durable, indestructible laptops, and leaving my normal one inside.

What I can't find is the Ubuntu compatibility. These laptops are locked down, so there aren't many options in changing parts and such, and their terribly expensive, so I can't just buy one to try it out.

Currently, im looking at Getac B300, or the Getac A790.
(http://rugged-laptop-review.toptenreviews.com/rocky-rt-review.html)

SemiExpert
March 14th, 2012, 10:00 PM
With all the abuse and damage that my laptop has been incurring up on the road, I decided last year to instead save for one of those extremely durable, indestructible laptops, and leaving my normal one inside.

What I can't find is the Ubuntu compatibility. These laptops are locked down, so there aren't many options in changing parts and such, and their terribly expensive, so I can't just buy one to try it out.

Currently, im looking at Getac B300, or the Getac A790.
(http://rugged-laptop-review.toptenreviews.com/rocky-rt-review.html)

I'd advise you against buying a true rugged notebook, unless you plan on working outdoors, in the rain. For $3,000-4,000, you could buy 2, 3, or 4 business quality notebooks with comparable hardware specs and accidental damage warranties. Keep in mind that most Toughbook and Getac users are working in a corporate or institutional setting with legacy Windows applications. Individuals and small businesses aren't the target market. People aren't buying these notebooks for themselves, it's typically a utility or public sector agency putting it up to bid.

sandyd
March 14th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I'd advise you against buying a true rugged notebook, unless you plan on working outdoors, in the rain. For $3,000-4,000, you could buy 2, 3, or 4 business quality notebooks with comparable hardware specs and accidental damage warranties. Keep in mind that most Toughbook and Getac users are working in a corporate or institutional setting with legacy Windows applications. Individuals and small businesses aren't the target market. People aren't buying these notebooks for themselves, it's typically a utility or public sector agency putting it up to bid.
I am. I am obtaining my laptop not directly from the store, but from my employer. I can't tell you who they are due to confidentiality agreements, but I can tell you that they are extremely big. In fact, Ill bet that youve heard of them.

I work as a tour manager (and several other things), and working outdoors, on tour. Most of the equiptment (including my laptop) gets rough treatment simply because of the environment.

SemiExpert
March 14th, 2012, 11:23 PM
I am. I am obtaining my laptop not directly from the store, but from my employer. I can't tell you who they are due to confidentiality agreements, but I can tell you that they are extremely big. In fact, Ill bet that youve herd of them.

I work as a tour manager (and several other things), and working outdoors, on tour. Most of the equiptment (including my laptop) gets rough treatment simply because of the environment.

Avadirect offers Ubuntu and other distros preloaded on most notebooks and desktops, but not on Getac rugged notebooks. I'm not sure why, but I suppose you could always contact them to ask? http://www.avadirect.com/rugged-notebook-configurator.asp?PRID=22181 Rugged notebooks invariably have Intel integrated graphics and wireless cards, so the fundamentals should work, but that's not to suggest that won't be other hardware support issues.