PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] PSC_2100 local printer how to remove (force)

riverupdude
March 14th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I am running onieric (11.10), has been a learning process(Major Newbie to Linux), in attempt to get all the features I needed working, I found I needed to install HPLIP multifuntion package for my HP PSC printer, that worked !

Then installed XSANE, that worked ! The other day, I went to scan, found that HPAIO problem, removed (apt-get remove xsane) and reinstalled and that worked again.

But now, I am getting a BACKEND PROBLEM for my printer.

I have at present , removed all these package and wish to get back to a CLEAN printer definitions across the system , include /var, /usr/,etc. I was tempted to clear out /etc/printcap, but have not, wish to consult first here.

Since this is a "local" USB printer, I tried to "delete/remove printer" via the SYSTEM TOOLS--> SYSTEM SETTINGS--> PRINTERS, however the "+ / -" buttons do NOT allow me to add or deltete the local printer.

How can I get a clean slate and redefine the printer ??? eg: like out of the box.

Then I plan to reinstall the forementioned packages.

If I am wrong in my assumptions (which I might be) your advice is appreciated ...very much !

Again, the printer admin screen is not providing me ANY add /remove, only able to see jobs are "HELD", that is a step up from the "stopping job because the scheduler could not execute the backend" message I was getting.

thanks,

Mark):P

tbhatia4
March 14th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I am running onieric (11.10), has been a learning process(Major Newbie to Linux), in attempt to get all the features I needed working, I found I needed to install HPLIP multifuntion package for my HP PSC printer, that worked !

Then installed XSANE, that worked ! The other day, I went to scan, found that HPAIO problem, removed (apt-get remove xsane) and reinstalled and that worked again.

But now, I am getting a BACKEND PROBLEM for my printer.

I have at present , removed all these package and wish to get back to a CLEAN printer definitions across the system , include /var, /usr/,etc. I was tempted to clear out /etc/printcap, but have not, wish to consult first here.

Since this is a "local" USB printer, I tried to "delete/remove printer" via the SYSTEM TOOLS--> SYSTEM SETTINGS--> PRINTERS, however the "+ / -" buttons do NOT allow me to add or deltete the local printer.

How can I get a clean slate and redefine the printer ??? eg: like out of the box.

Then I plan to reinstall the forementioned packages.

If I am wrong in my assumptions (which I might be) your advice is appreciated ...very much !

Again, the printer admin screen is not providing me ANY add /remove, only able to see jobs are "HELD", that is a step up from the "stopping job because the scheduler could not execute the backend" message I was getting.

thanks,

Mark):P

remove packages using synaptic package manager
just locate the names of the printer in the package and mark for complete removal

riverupdude
March 15th, 2012, 07:20 AM
I was able to "delete/remove" the printer via the "lpadmin" command. Right or wrong, that was my goal here, BUT I am wondering why the "+/-" Is not allowing me to ADD or REMOVE a printer, is this the normal GUI ?

root@riverupdude-laptop:~# lpadmin -p PSC_2100 -x PSC_2100
root@riverupdude-laptop:~# lpstat -a
lpstat: No destinations added.

There are no printer classes defined...
root@riverupdude-laptop:~# lpstat -c
lpstat: No destinations added.

Here is a list of "synaptic packages" as you suggested;
root@riverupdude-laptop:~# dpkg --list|grep -i synaptic
ii synaptic 0.75.2ubuntu8 Graphical package manager
ii xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.4.1-1ubuntu2 Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server

Here is a list of packages that include "hp";
root@riverupdude-laptop:~# dpkg --list|grep -i hp
ii adobe-flashplugin 11.1.102.63-0oneiric1 Adobe Flash Player plugin version 11
ii gir1.2-launchpad-integration-3.0 0.1.54 library for launchpad integration (gir files)
ii hpijs 3.11.7-1ubuntu3.1 HP Linux Printing and Imaging - gs IJS driver (hpijs)
rc hplip 3.11.7-1ubuntu3.1 HP Linux Printing and Imaging System (HPLIP)
ii hplip-cups 3.11.7-1ubuntu3.1 HP Linux Printing and Imaging - CUPS Raster driver (hpcups)
ii hplip-data 3.11.7-1ubuntu3.1 HP Linux Printing and Imaging - data files
ii launchpad-integration 0.1.54 launchpad integration
ii libapache2-mod-php5 5.3.6-13ubuntu3.6 server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (Apache 2 module)
ii libhpmud0 3.11.7-1ubuntu3.1 HP Multi-Point Transport Driver (hpmud) run-time libraries
ii liblaunchpad-integration-3.0-1 0.1.54 library for launchpad integration
ii liblaunchpad-integration-common 0.1.54 library for launchpad integration common data
ii liblaunchpad-integration1 0.1.54 library for launchpad integration
ii liblaunchpad-integration1.0-cil 0.1.54 CLI bindings for liblaunchpad-integration
rc liblpint-bonobo0 0.1.51 library for launchpad integration
ii libpathplan4 2.26.3-5ubuntu4 rich set of graph drawing tools - pathplan library
rc libsane-hpaio 3.11.7-1ubuntu3.1 HP SANE backend for multi-function peripherals
ii php5-cli 5.3.6-13ubuntu3.6 command-line interpreter for the php5 scripting language
ii php5-common 5.3.6-13ubuntu3.6 Common files for packages built from the php5 source
ii pxljr 1.3-0ubuntu2 Driver for HP's Color LaserJet 35xx/36xx color laser printers
ii python-launchpad-integration 0.1.54 library for launchpad integration
ii python-launchpadlib 1.9.8-2ubuntu0.1 Launchpad web services client library
ii xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.4.1-1ubuntu2 Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server

I was trying to see what services are running; BUT I Don't know how to interpret this;

services --status-all
root@riverupdude-laptop:~# service --status-all|more
[ ? ] acpi-support
[ ? ] acpid
[ ? ] alsa-restore
[ ? ] alsa-store
[ ? ] anacron
[ + ] apache2
[ + ] apparmor
[ ? ] apport
[ ? ] atd
[ ? ] atop
[ ? ] avahi-daemon
[ ? ] binfmt-support
[ + ] bluetooth
[ - ] bootlogd
[ - ] brltty
[ ? ] console-setup
[ ? ] cron
[ ? ] cups
[ ? ] dbus
[ ? ] dmesg
[ + ] dmucs
[ ? ] dns-clean
[ ? ] ecryptfs-utils-restore
[ ? ] ecryptfs-utils-save
[ - ] fancontrol
[ ? ] friendly-recovery
[ ? ] gdm

GOOD NEWS !
Just now, I plugged my printer in and it AUTO configured.....let me see if it works !

Yep ...Botta BING !

It works now....in spite of HPLIP not being installed. I think that is for the multi-funtion (eg: scanner) HAL part. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HpAllInOne

Still not sure why the GDE doesn't allow me to ADD/Remove printers, etc..... Apparently 11.10 (Oneiric) is much different than previous versions.

Thank you for your attention to my requestI,
God Bless