PDA

View Full Version : Mplayer Website In Trouble.........possible!

Mark Marple
March 11th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I just went here to grab the latest codecs and saw this. I don't claim to now much, but just from what I read here, looks like hand slapping is going on. If this happens, I wish all the issues would get resolved with gstreamer, so we could all use them instead of having to deal with patent CRAP!

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/index.html

Just my 2 cents!

PS. for those of you who know exactly what going on, please don't bust my chops, as I didn't read anymore than the first page. So maybe I was talking out my A$$.......... :-#

Adrenal
March 11th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Use VLC. I know, not exactly the same, but, no matter which codecs you have, it can play anything(except real media files). Fully skinnable as well.
Just sudo apt-get install vlc
EDIT: Now downloading everything on that page, somebody wanna grab all the skins?

BWF89
March 11th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Could software patents mean the end of Linux and BSD?

bored2k
March 12th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Well this is interesting ... *downloading/uploading all the files to my personal backup*

machiner
March 12th, 2005, 12:10 AM
I don't use Mplayer but I did goto the site and download the appy, essential codecs, a zillion skins, and the readme.

I'll be damned if I'm going to let some corporate types try to take this away from me.

BWF89
March 12th, 2005, 12:14 AM
If Microsoft sues a Linux company for infringing on their software patents I think theres going to be a software patent nuclear war between Microsoft, IBM, Novell, Redhat, Mandrake, and some other OSS companies.

Mark Marple
March 12th, 2005, 12:15 AM
adrenal,

I think you might be right (with VLC)..............damn totem. I just installed the preview release last night, and totem is worse than it was in array 5 & 6.

Really want to use totem-gstreamer being its what is Ubuntus' default, but damn, it won't play media very well. I know that I can go with Totem-xine, but again, would like to stay with Ubuntu default. I have tried Gxine and like it, but it doesn't have dvd menuing (or at least I can't see it). Really getting frustrated at this whole media thing. I have tried VLC before and like it, but it just doesn't have a very nice look to it. I know, very ignorant on my part. Could you help me in maybe getting it skinable or whatever I might do to make it look nicer.

Thanks!

jdodson
March 12th, 2005, 12:20 AM
ok. the mplayer folks are basically protesting the EU's stance on patents.

they did not say they got a cease and desist or anything, they are simply saying "hey everyone, patents suck."

anyways, so its not like the man has come for them just yet.

btw, software patents are stupid.

Mark Marple
March 12th, 2005, 12:21 AM
If Microsoft sues a Linux company for infringing on their software patents I think theres going to be a software patent nuclear war between Microsoft, IBM, Novell, Redhat, Mandrake, and some other OSS companies.

I agree! That is why I came from SUSE/Novell to Ubuntu...........ubuntu rocks for 1 and for 2........all the corporate crap that they all do to make it their own. I LOVE Ubuntus philosophy!

machiner
March 12th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Could software patents mean the end of Linux and BSD?

No. there are already restrictions - and the linux community finds ways around them...some legal, some a little unclear.

Laws are different in every country - some countries find it acceptable to reverse engineer software...some dont.

I don't think the new patent rules in the EU will mean an end to linux...there is far too much investment (it's always about $$ isn't it) invested and being invested every day by some pretty big industry players. THose players have a great deal of influence (remember - in Am-erica you can buy a senator/congressman pretty easily - you can even buy the Presidency) on policy - for better or for worse.

This situation steams me -- but hey - I've got a damned tight desktop currently and backups.

Do you think it's feasible that, should something terrible result from all this nonesense , any governing body or corporate entity can come knocking on my (your - your small company) door demanding I format my HDD?

A resounding NO. Stifling further innovations and advancements are another story - but once these corporate entities and governments realize what they have done -- just watch them scramble to repeal.

Mark Marple
March 12th, 2005, 12:25 AM
ok. the mplayer folks are basically protesting the EU's stance on patents.

they did not say they got a cease and desist or anything, they are simply saying "hey everyone, patents suck."

anyways, so its not like the man has come for them just yet.

btw, software patents are stupid.

Thanks for the clearity. I don't use Mplayer, but don't like what is happening.

Machiner,
what do you use for a media player?.............just curious!

machiner
March 12th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the clearity. I don't use Mplayer, but don't like what is happening.

Machiner,
what do you use for a media player?.............just curious!

totem-xine with mozplugger.

I use gxine to watch DVD's

Sometimes .wmv files refuse to play audio. It's curious...but I have found this to be a good setup.

I don't denegrate Mplayer and used it in the past for web plugins (it's embedded) and for DVD's. It's a fine media player.

I may go back to mplayer -- I just like to change the appy's that I use to get experience enabling me to make recommendations.

I look forward to gstreamer working properly with Ubuntu and totem in the future...I like to keep things simple and pure and I like Gnome and Ubuntu.

Mark Marple
March 12th, 2005, 12:36 AM
totem-xine with mozplugger.

I use gxine to watch DVD's

Sometimes .wmv files refuse to play audio. It's curious...but I have found this to be a good setup.

I don't denegrate Mplayer and used it in the past for web plugins (it's embedded) and for DVD's. It's a fine media player.

I may go back to mplayer -- I just like to change the appy's that I use to get experience enabling me to make recommendations.

I look forward to gstreamer working properly with Ubuntu and totem in the future...I like to keep things simple and pure and I like Gnome and Ubuntu.

I too want to keep things simple. I don't like alot of programs to do the same thing..........just want 1 or 2 that do it well. I haven't used the mozplugger on the new install, trying to find away around it. May have to though.

Thanks for your feedback!

machiner
March 12th, 2005, 01:11 AM
See this terrific Write up...just search mozplugger

http://ubuntuguide.org/

BWF89
March 12th, 2005, 01:19 AM
All this talk about Open Source media players is making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. OMFG! I'm a Linux nerd!

mark
March 12th, 2005, 05:28 AM
<snip>btw, software patents are stupid. Sorry, I don't agree with this statement. I think that some people's (or company's) uses of software patents are stupid. However, I still maintain that if someone invents the greatest frobnitz that ever was, a frobnitz that no one else has ever thought of, they should be able to protect their investment of time and effort.

Not being a lawyer, I'm not sure if (from a software perspective) this sort of protection would be better achieved by patent or copyright. My bottom line is that if someone develops something truly unique and chooses to try and make some money from it, I don't think this makes them stupid or evil.

Don't get me wrong - I completely support (and use, wherever possible) free and open software. But I can also see how some poor bloke who's spent umpteen man-hours developing the thing could feel that he/she is entitled to some payback on their investment.

TravisNewman
March 12th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Yes, that's what copyrights are for. Patents are much more restrictive. Quite a bit more.