PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Install Break You Have Made

Jaybyrrd
March 14th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Post your fastest install break/major mistake you have ever made. For example, I decided to reinstall Ubuntu 11.10 today, and like an idiot I clicked out of a terminal box in the middle of apt-get. It said that I couldn't take control of dpkg, so I brilliant (without thinking or research) went with my gut...
sudo rm -r /var/lib/dpkg ....

Oops, I forgot the /lock part. Guess who might just resort to reinstalling Ubuntu if it doesn't work after this apt-get update. :)

Post yours.

julioneander
March 15th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Don't know if this counts, but anyway:

I once broke my system at install time. Yeah, I decided to specify the partitions and mount points without letting Ubuntu do it for me.

Result: no bootloader and no swap partition. I thought to myself: "Alright, maybe I can fix this with the livecd session", but somehow I managed to break the system even more! After some reboots and a few kernel panics, I gave up and formatted the disk to do it all again from scratch.

Regards.

QIII
March 15th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Back in the "roll your own" days just trying to install was breaking it sometimes.

winh8r
March 15th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Fastest ever breakage of a system was when I got dd if= and dd of= mixed up and wrote 80GB of zeros to a hard drive I was trying to clone.

odiseo77
March 15th, 2012, 04:03 AM
Once I was installing Gentoo and the installer crashed while partitioning. As a result, the partition table got wiped and the disk got messed up. I had to use testdisk to recover my data.