PDA

View Full Version : First time Linux User (youtube video)

realitykid
March 13th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Ok, so many have said that Ubuntu is the easiest Linux to use. However, is it easy enough with Unity?

http://youtu.be/ltE_ekc8kE8

In the above video, Chris Pirillo has his father use Ubuntu for the first time. I figured that this would be something interesting to watch. Hopefully Canonical will implement some changes to make it easier to use.

This is by no means meant to inspire FUD and I am not trolling.

ubuntu-freak
March 13th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Everything has a learning curve.

realitykid
March 13th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Everything has a learning curve.

Yes, but, if we want Ubuntu to take off, it's gotta change a little bit to be a bit easier to use. And this HUD thing in 12.04 needs to go. My honest opinion. That's what is keeping me from using Ubuntu. Too many changes that do more to hinder the experience than to help it. However, I hope things do change, otherwise Ubuntu won't make it to the desktop.

ubuntu-freak
March 13th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Yes, but, if we want Ubuntu to take off, it's gotta change a little bit to be a bit easier to use. And this HUD thing in 12.04 needs to go. My honest opinion. That's what is keeping me from using Ubuntu. Too many changes that do more to hinder the experience than to help it. However, I hope things do change, otherwise Ubuntu won't make it to the desktop.

I'm probably not the best one to debate this with, as I think Ubuntu is already easy to use. It's not gonna stop changing and evolving either.

rg4w
March 13th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Interestingly, aside from not understanding workspaces the only thing he got hung up on was the Dodge behavior for the Launcher, which was removed from 12.04 for exactly that reason.

realitykid
March 13th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Interestingly, aside from not understanding workspaces the only thing he got hung up on was the Dodge behavior for the Launcher, which was removed from 12.04 for exactly that reason.

And he commented on how he didn't like that they hid the menus. Other than that, there was no real issue. However, in 12.04, they're introducing HUD, which is fine when it's an option. But, I think that they are going to try replace the global menu with HUD.

rg4w
March 13th, 2012, 10:59 PM
And he commented on how he didn't like that they hid the menus.
Yes indeed, thanks for catching that.

Oh how I hope and pray in the name of all that is holy to the usability gods that Canonical will stop concealing an application's primary command access from the user in 12.10.

Other than that, there was no real issue. However, in 12.04, they're introducing HUD, which is fine when it's an option. But, I think that they are going to try replace the global menu with HUD.
That would be even more unfortunate than the current menu concealment.

What exactly is driving this anti-menu vendetta? Several decades of solid usability research supporting good menu design is available in the ACM library and elsewhere.

I'm all for innovation, but it's not enough to be novel for novelty's sake:

...most of our competitors are interesting in doing something different, or want to appear new - I think those are completely the wrong goals. A product has to be genuinely better. This requires real discipline, and thatís what drives us - a sincere, genuine appetite to do something that is better
- Jonathan Ive
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/sir-jonathan-ive-the-iman-cometh-7562170.html

rg4w
March 13th, 2012, 11:11 PM
It seems my prayers were answered - and in real-time:

As I was writing that, Mark Shuttleworth was replying to a note I made in a bug report about the concealed menus:

We also decided to provide an option to show the menu all the time, or
to integrate it in the app window, based on testing. The feature missed
the development window for 12.04, but will land in due course. Hopefully
that puts your concerns to rest.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/930148/comments/102

I can't describe how happy this makes me. I've become a bit of an Ubuntu fanboy, but when oddities like the hidden menu bar creep in I sometimes wonder why I don't go back to Mac. Knowing this is being changed gives me tremendously greater confidence in their design process, and has me very much looking forward to the new releases.

winh8r
March 13th, 2012, 11:16 PM
What exactly is driving this anti-menu vendetta?

Might be designers and developers with fat fingers who use smartphones and tablets?

To the OP, I learned a lot from that video, well , mainly how to spend 20 minutes using Unity without swearing at it! Something tells me he will be sticking with the OS he is used to for now.

synaptix
March 13th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Might be designers and developers with fat fingers who use smartphones and tablet?

Possibly under the assumption that everyone under the sun has a tablet and/or smartphone? :S

Frogs Hair
March 13th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I had a similar experience when I installed Ubuntu 9.10 with Gnome 2 the first time. I took time to find out where things were located.

realitykid
March 13th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Well, I am still uninterested in using Ubuntu myself. The OS itself is good. But, I do not like the direction that it is going currently. Too much emphasis on the tablet and mobile market. I'm still using a laptop, and intend to for the next several years. So, right now, I am happy in Linux Mint Debian Edition. However, I do hope that Ubuntu will catch on at some point, if they are willing to stop drastically changing it in almost every release. New things are nice, but keep the old things that have proven to work as well.

Linuxratty
March 14th, 2012, 12:49 AM
This is by no means meant to inspire FUD and I am not trolling
I understand...There is also one showing this gentleman,who is a Windows user, trying to use Windows 8..When I saw that, I wondered how he'd do with Unity...Now I get to find out!
Thanks! :popcorn:

realitykid
March 14th, 2012, 12:50 AM
I understand...There is also one showing this gentleman,who is a Windows user, trying to use Windows 8..When I saw that, I wondered how he'd do with Unity...Now I get to find out!
Thanks! :popcorn:

lol No problem my friend. :) Ya, he didn't too nearly as great with Windows 8 as he did with Ubuntu.

Linuxratty
March 14th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Oh yeah,the Windows8 vid was painful to watch...Did you see him trying OSX for the first time?
OSX and Ubuntu both have a leg up on Windows8 for sure.

synaptix
March 14th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Personally, I think all these "first time" videos by him are scripted.

PapaGary
March 14th, 2012, 02:34 AM
http://youtu.be/ltE_ekc8kE8

In the above video, Chris Pirillo has his father use Ubuntu for the first time. I figured that this would be something interesting to watch.
Interesting? I found it boring. I bailed out after the first sixty seconds.

realitykid
March 14th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Interesting? I found it boring. I bailed out after the first sixty seconds.

Well, obviously not everyone is going to agree that it was interesting. Don't like it? Then I guess you don't have to watch it.

Personally, I think all these "first time" videos by him are scripted.

And why is that?

wojox
March 14th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Hey, just to be fair this guy can't navigate Windows 8 (http://www.itworld.com/software/258298/windows-8-fails-parent-test?source=ITWNLE_nlt_countdown_2012-03-14) either.

realitykid
March 14th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Hey, just to be fair this guy can't navigate Windows 8 (http://www.itworld.com/software/258298/windows-8-fails-parent-test?source=ITWNLE_nlt_countdown_2012-03-14) either.

lol, ya he had better luck with Ubuntu. However, compared to both Ubuntu and Windows 8, I think he did better with OS X.

x-shaney-x
March 14th, 2012, 11:24 PM
To be fair, there are certain people you could sit in front a panel with a single button on it marked "PRESS" and they would still be confused.

benerivo
March 15th, 2012, 01:19 AM
His dad seemed liked a pretty intelligent guy, just not someone who uses computers everyday. The one thing that stood out for me was that he saw everything as 'what you see is what you get', and so he only used what was shown easily, such as the workspaces (which to him seemed like a useful tiling screen which he couldn't get to work) and the default/preselected icons down the side. Even after almost half an hour he never really made use of the unity launcher. It would have been better if he had been given a specific target to achieve. It was almost as if he was waiting for the system to give him guidance, like a 'tips and tricks' window or a 'tour' greeting. Maybe that should be included with OS's.

xzero1
March 15th, 2012, 06:44 AM
So ever ask yourself how Apple gets at least the interface right? Once you see this video, you will have a good idea. BTW, its funny!

http://www.ted.com/talks/david_pogue_says_simplicity_sells.html

Did I mention, I posted this link here at least a year ago?

bluenova
March 15th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Very tedious watching him trying to use the workspaces.

But very interesting that he never found the Dash until 23 minutes in. I think that in itself is very important.

A further observation, he as most people have associated double clicking with opening something. He had great difficulty trying to get 2 spreadsheets open. Perhaps if the launchers used single click to goto the open app and double click to open a new instance it would help.

jrela2000
March 15th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Chris Pirillo's house is the Church of Mac.

I'm sure there would have not been so much confusion had he loaded 10.10 bc it looks just like MacOS.

this video was more or less slighted..... SMH

wolfen69
March 16th, 2012, 02:13 AM
Very frustrating to watch. I think most people adventurous enough to try ubuntu will have an easier time than he did. It's like putting me into a jet fighter and telling me to fly it. (I'm not a pilot)

ubuntu27
March 17th, 2012, 07:17 PM
1) In the video, Ubuntu was running under a Virtual Envrionment in Mac.

2) Also, it was Ubuntu 2D and not Ubuntu with 3D aceleration.

2D has many limitation such as not having the ability to move windows across work spaces as the man from the video tried to do.

Well, the 2nd point does not make the test invalid. It is still important to test the user experiences in non-standard environment (e.g. Fall back mode).

What I didn't like about the video is that Ubuntu was running inside the virtual machine. When the man moved the cursor up, the mac menu appeared. That can be quite confusing.

cacycleworks
March 20th, 2012, 02:47 AM
It was almost as if he was waiting for the system to give him guidance, like a 'tips and tricks' window or a 'tour' greeting. Maybe that should be included with OS's.

OMG yes! I tried a few media streaming boxes at home... the WD Live TV, a Sony Blu-Ray player, & the Logitech Revue w/ google tv. The logitech box had a tutorial video welcoming us to the device and showing how to get started with the remote and what to do to get shows playing.

If KDE4 had a tutorial video built in as to why I want it, that would have been great. Instead, I just went to gnome. :P

asadmalik
March 20th, 2012, 08:32 AM
When i watched the first time Windows 8 user video, i could associate the user experience of Chris' Dad with that of my dad.

But later when i saw his dad's first time on ubuntu, i felt it was a bit over the top.
If someone is using a PC for some years, then i think that he should have no problem using ubuntu for the first time.
Its a lot less confusing than Windows 8 though.

warm cardigan
March 24th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Would someone please explain to me why Microsoft decided it would be a good idea to target viewers of this video for marketing Office?

uRock
March 24th, 2012, 04:47 AM
My 8 year old figured out Unity with no problems. It wasn't hard for her to figure out that all she had to do was type the program or file name in the search field to find what she was looking for.