PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please explain /dev folder & /orbit___

BlueAZ
March 13th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Greetings & Salutations! You good folks have helped me solve several problems, & I'm really having fun with my Ubuntu 11.04 w/ Unity OS!! I think I'm ready to learn more deeply.

Chasing down a persistent problem w/ my webcam not showing up for Skype, I looked for /dev/video0 and found it. It's empty. Curiosity kicked in & I started clicking on other files in /dev. Most of them are empty, or so it says: 0 kb in file. Is this as it should be? Can anyone explain the raison d'etre of the /dev folder & its various contents?

One file in /dev is called core & I'm surprised to see that it contains 128TB. That's terrabytes, right? My HDD isn't that big, so what is this & how does it fit?

In the sidebar list of folders when I click my Home Folder is one called: orbit____ where the underline is my name. What is it? Do I need it? Why was it created? Should I mess with it?

Thanks for expanding my U-wareness!!

idoitprone
March 13th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Greetings & Salutations! You good folks have helped me solve several problems, & I'm really having fun with my Ubuntu 11.04 w/ Unity OS!! I think I'm ready to learn more deeply.

Chasing down a persistent problem w/ my webcam not showing up for Skype, I looked for /dev/video0 and found it. It's empty. Curiosity kicked in & I started clicking on other files in /dev. Most of them are empty, or so it says: 0 kb in file. Is this as it should be? Can anyone explain the raison d'etre of the /dev folder & its various contents?

One file in /dev is called core & I'm surprised to see that it contains 128TB. That's terrabytes, right? My HDD isn't that big, so what is this & how does it fit?

In the sidebar list of folders when I click my Home Folder is one called: orbit____ where the underline is my name. What is it? Do I need it? Why was it created? Should I mess with it?

Thanks for expanding my U-wareness!!

/dev is a special file, dont worry and dont mess with it, cuz you can mess around with your hardware from that dir
http://linux.about.com/od/lsa_guide/a/gdelsa18.htm

there is some useful files in there for different purposes
/dev/null is a file if you want you put to be ignore

output > /dev/null

if you want random num
cat /dev/random > towateverfileyoufeellikeit

/orbit_ file. seems like a program like making files at the root dir

jerome1232
March 13th, 2012, 09:36 PM
"orbit_____" on your launcher sounds like a volume that's mounted, you have a usb stick in the computer? A cdrom perhaps? Any removable media you insert will show up on the launcher.

But I'm just taking a guess based on what you said.

doctorzeus
March 13th, 2012, 10:05 PM
/dev is a special file, dont worry and dont mess with it, cuz you can mess around with your hardware from that dir
http://linux.about.com/od/lsa_guide/a/gdelsa18.htm

there is some useful files in there for different purposes
/dev/null is a file if you want you put to be ignore

output > /dev/null

if you want random num
cat /dev/random > towateverfileyoufeellikeit

/orbit_ file. seems like a program like making files at the root dir

Or if you want to launch a missile you go (you may need root access): :lolflag:

launch /dev/icbm

But in all seriousness you may want to look at the Linux / directory structure (very useful to help understand how the system works):

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/linuxdir.html

One other cool thing you should try:

echo Hello World! > /dev/tty1

And then check tty1 (ctrl+alt+F1), (ctrl+alt+F7 to get back..)

BlueAZ
March 14th, 2012, 12:19 AM
"orbit_____" on your launcher sounds like a volume that's mounted, you have a usb stick in the computer? A cdrom perhaps? Any removable media you insert will show up on the launcher.

But I'm just taking a guess based on what you said.
Thanks Jerome1232. I opened the orbit- folder & here's what I found: 2 files called bonobo-activation-blah, blah and a bunch of files starting with linc-blah, blah. Do you know what bonobo is? Could this be something I installed accidentally? [as in, I really don't know what I'm doing yet...]