PDA

View Full Version : darknets, securing communications

threegremlins
March 13th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I'm with one one of the Occupy groups in Alberta, Canada.
They are bringing new laws to monitor activities of pretty
much everyone without seacrh warrants. I've been looking at
darknets as a possible solution to securing communications,
even though I'm skepticle it's possible with governments
cyber departments. Still, I was scoping out freenet among others and the people there aren't the people I'd like to associate with at least they seem to be the large majority. Wikipedia says you can create your own darknet but, I'm no IT pro so I was wondering how difficult is it to create one. In fact I heard a security analyst on a radio interview say, just being one of the admins on our site, I'm being monitored. When I heard that I created some random characters and posted them online to mess with their heads. If your thinking I just gave it a way, I don't think so because they can't be sure. There's other options too, like encrypting email but just how secure is that these days. If one wanted to set up a secure comm systm how would you do it?

Paqman
March 13th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Tbh, any security system is only as secure as the individuals using it. For a loose-knit group without a tight chain of command like an Occupy group I'd be very wary of assuming that you could maintain decent security. One small slip and it'd be all over. Also, I think you should assume that it's likely that you've been infiltrated to some degree. Even paranoid security-obsessed hacker groups are invariably cracked by the cops turning someone over.

My advice would be not to rely on technological measures to obfuscate your communication. Since you aren't doing anything illegal you can probably conduct 99.9% of your communication openly, and doing so will make your organisation much more approachable and open to potential new members. Any sensitive communication about upcoming protests that you don't want disrupted I would conduct in person over a beer.

winh8r
March 13th, 2012, 05:10 PM
It is all just a game of cat and mouse.

You can set up the most secure , encrypted network imaginable and it will work, right up until the moment that the group is infiltrated , or someone is decides to give up being a part of whatever it is relaxes their security.

No method of communication using digital means is 100% anonymous and untraceable.

BeRoot ReBoot
March 13th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I'm with one one of the Occupy groups

/thread

):P

threegremlins
March 13th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Hey BR, stay calm, be brave, watch for the signs. ):P

Yeah I realize like a chain it's only as strong as it's weakest link. Sometimes when we plan our rallies, the authorities are already there ahead of us. Like what are we going to do other than shout anti-government and down with corporations slogans, still there they are. It would be kind of nice to get there ahead of them especially when we plan on swarming one of the political meetings or corporate events without being tripped up. If there was any justice in this country, the authorities would be thwarting the government and the corporations, not us.

Smilax
March 13th, 2012, 06:50 PM
get tor

set up a word press blog (throu tor)

make it so anyone can post

everyone publishes there public key on the site, everyone only uses the site throu tor.
use PGP to encrypt all messages
messages are posted on the site for all to see, but only for the intended one to understand.

being able to read the messages is only a small part of what the 'watchers' want

the links between all the people is the real info, as in who is talking to who.

threegremlins
March 13th, 2012, 07:03 PM
hate to appear stupid could you explain public key, if your putting it out there, won't they know who you are

s.fox
March 13th, 2012, 07:08 PM
From the Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy)

Politics and Religion: These two topics have caused serious problems in the past and are now forbidden topics in the forums. Please find another venue to exercise your freedom of speech on these topics.

Users agree not to post anything abusive, rude, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, advertising or marketing related, or sexually-oriented. Material that suggests illegal activity or contains illegal content is also forbidden. We do not support circumventing TOS, EULA, etc here. Such threads will be closed and offending users will be penalised with infractions and warnings. Also, our forums are used by people at work and school and we want to ensure they will not encounter material that will cause them problems or cause their access to our site to be limited, so all content should be safe for work and school.

Closed.

Elfy
March 13th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed.

Closed