PDA

View Full Version : web database

basicpixels
March 13th, 2012, 06:06 AM
I have been asked to create a simple small database for a friend and we would like to make it accessible from the web. I'm looking for suggestions on where to start, would you recommend....
-MySql, Postgres or other?
-What server language PHP, Python or other?
-What hosting service, Ubuntu on a computer at home or another service? (low cost or free)
-Are there any script frameworks for making the front end easier to program or just stick to HTML?

I have some experience with MS Access, creating websites, scripting / programing using VB and RealBasic and JavaScript but so much has changed in the past few years I'm not sure were to start..... any suggestions?

Thanks!

Lucradia
March 13th, 2012, 06:23 AM
PHP, MySQL. You can use a web server for windows like Xitami or EasyPHP to test your scripts and site before you ever upload it too. (Or use Apache, and install PHP and MySQL and PhpMyAdmin manually on Linux.)

Although probably frowned upon by a handful of users here, you can also use flash with PHP to interact with MySQL: http://www.kirupa.com/developer/actionscript/flash_php_mysql.htm

basicpixels
March 13th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Thanks for your suggestions, I would like to test over the web while developing the database, do you have any suggestions for web hosing that is inexpensive or free? Something like Google sites but also allows you to create databases.