PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] onscreen keyboard (onboard) not working with some applications

ddesanti
March 13th, 2012, 05:03 AM
I have Ubuntu 11.04 running on a Dell Latitude 620.
I need help on resolving an issue with the on-screen keyboard that doesn't work for example with:
- gedit 2.30.4
- network connections

In cases the onboard program types the letter but after holding the click for several seconds but after a couple of letters it doesn't work again.

It seems that the onboard program just doesn't work with gnome based programs. If I run LibreOffice, Mozilla, Byobu Terminal to mention a few the virtual keyboard work. Hope this could help to find the cause of the problem and be able to fix it.

I'm not aware of any bugs reported by the OS or the program. if any how can I look for them?

I created a new temp user and the onboard program works fines.

xianbei
July 5th, 2012, 11:00 PM
bumpity bump...

I'm experiencing similar symptoms:

- Onboard (v-keyboard) worked great for a while (3 weeks). Now in the course of my adding other bits and pieces to this new 12.04 install (x220Tablet) I've rendered the Onboard keyboard useless in Gnome.

- Onboard works OK in Unity

I'm a big fan of the tablet-pc combo. The Win7 installation works great, but Ubuntu has some serious wart removal to do. I wish I had the skillz to contribute to that end other than sharing the user experience.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!

Favux
July 5th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Hi xianbei,

Consider using Magick Rotation: https://launchpad.net/magick-rotation to get automatic rotation when swivelling to tablet mode. It also allows you to toggle touch on and off. Its default onscreen keyboard is CellWriter which may avoid the problem you are seeing with Onboard. Plus you may consider CellWriter a better choice for a tablet PC. So first install CellWriter and see if you like it. You can change the default onscreen keyboard in Magick if you want.