PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to the mods!

Stew2
June 11th, 2006, 01:17 AM
I just wanted to acknowledge the forum staff for doing a great job =D>. With such a large and diverse user base, things can occasionally get a little out of hand at times. You can always count on the staff here to be level headed and try to diffuse situations before they really get out of hand. Considering how many members there are here with so many different viewpoints, it's a credit to the staff that there arent many flame wars. Keep up the great work! It's your hard work that keeps these forums a fun and informative place :D! Thank you.

Regards,
Stew2

Edit: Changed backgrounds to viewpoints, its what I meant to say... I don't want anyone to misinterpet my meaning :)

enopepsoo
June 11th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Considering how many members there are here from so many diffrent backgrounds, it's a credit to the staff that there arent many flame wars. Keep up the great work!

Thanks moderators. We wouldn't want any flame wars between our different backgrounds.

5-HT
June 11th, 2006, 01:23 AM
I just wanted to acknowledge the forum staff for doing a great job =D>.+1, thanks.

Though a few flame wars now and again can be a little entertaining. :mrgreen:
Definitely good work on keeping down trolls/spam!

YourSurrogateGod
June 11th, 2006, 04:05 AM
I must say, it's a blessing really. Thank god that this forum hasn't turned out like gentoo forums *shivers* .

23meg
June 11th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Agreed, moderation has been top notch ever since I've joined (more than a year), with very few hiccups, even though there have been many changes in the staff. I think that also says something about the quality of administration.

YourSurrogateGod
June 11th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Agreed, moderation has been top notch ever since I've joined (more than a year), with very few hiccups, even though there have been many changes in the staff. I think that also says something about the quality of administration as well.
I think it's also the way the forums are constructed. We have the Ubuntu Cafe for Ubuntu and some Linux related stuff and the backyard is where all the of the craziness can go on (and if you don't want to be part of it, don't go there.) This prevents people from bringing up some very divisive topics and keep the whole place pretty harmonious.

Also, it's some of the members here. Although most clearly favor Linux over other operating systems, there are no rabid anti-<enter name here of a commercial OS>.

YourSurrogateGod
June 11th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Oh yeh, one more thing. People sort of expect that this is a forum for newbies, so there is a higher level (significantly) for people who are totally new to the concept of Linux. Few scream RTFM to someone who is utterly confused, which is a nice environment, especially if you're stressed because you can't get a certain program to play your videos (damn you xine! Damn you to the bowels of hell!!)

henriquemaia
June 11th, 2006, 04:25 AM
I would also like to add my appreciation for their job.

Great work.

confused57
June 11th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Kudos to the moderators, administrators, staff...they deserve the highest of accolades for the job(s) they're doing keeping this forum the best...

jnev
June 11th, 2006, 06:17 AM
I must say, it's a blessing really. Thank god that this forum hasn't turned out like gentoo forums *shivers* .

what's wrong with the gentoo forums? (just curious, I don't frequent them)

and yes, good job mods!

benplaut
June 11th, 2006, 08:40 AM
note that none of them have replied...

matthew
June 11th, 2006, 09:05 AM
note that none of them have replied...I just saw this thread for the first time. :)

Thank you all for the kind and gracious words! It is heartwarming and encouraging to be appreciated.

Biltong (Dee)
June 11th, 2006, 09:33 AM
It is also the very slick moderating I appreciate. When one Mod is asleep another takes over, ensuring that we are all watched 24/7 :-)

mstlyevil
June 11th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I just want to say thank you to all the compliments you all have given us. It has been a pleasure being a mod on this forum and I would not trade that experience for anything in the world.

KiwiNZ
June 11th, 2006, 10:05 AM
It was very humbling to read this thread . Thanks for all the compliments to the staff here.

graabein
June 11th, 2006, 11:44 AM
A big thank you to mods like The Who and Small Faces from me as well!

Technically, Mod refers to a lifestyle and fashion more than music itself. During the early '60s, legions of teenagers in Great Britain began dressing in stylish, neo-Italian fashions and listening to American R&B, particularly Motown. Soon, these teens were dubbed mods. The original mod bands were all R&B cover bands, but soon they began writing their own material that was generally in the vein of their influences. Mod bands played R&B harder and faster than the original recordings -- it was relentless, amphetamine-driven rock & roll. Many of the mod bands were barely heard outside of the United Kingdom, since the lifestyle was primarily a British phenomenon. Two bands -- the Small Faces and the Who -- were able to crossover to the United States market, but that was after both bands began developing and expanding their R&B-based sound. By the time psychedelia came around in the late '60s, mod had died out in Britain. However, mod -- both the music and the lifestyle -- came back in full force in the late '70s, thanks to the Jam.
--allmusic (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:2777)

manicka
June 11th, 2006, 11:53 AM
aw shucks, thanks guys :)

zubrug
June 11th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Great job mod's, your behaviour rubs off on everyone and even encourages regular and newbies to act as mod's.
Thank's
enjoy reading threads that get a little cold water sprayed on them, better than playing games.

zenwhen
June 11th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks a ton, folks.

YourSurrogateGod
June 11th, 2006, 05:00 PM
what's wrong with the gentoo forums? (just curious, I don't frequent them)

and yes, good job mods!
It's a perpetual flame war, that and some of the members tend to be elitist.