View Full Version : [SOLVED] Realtek lan is VERY slow!

March 12th, 2012, 08:48 PM
My connection to the Internet is VERY slow. In addition, I keep getting messages from Mail.com and Google.com that state that I am no longer connected to the Internet. I keep hitting Refresh and I eventually get the page that I want.

I have hit a lot of forums and I have determined that the default driver for "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" is a bad one. Instead, the forums say, I should download and install the driver from Realtek. I downloaded the driver and saved it to my Ubuntu desktop. When I double-click on the autorun.sh file, it offers to Display, Run, or Run in Terminal. When I run in a terminal, I see messages that say "Access Denied" and the new driver fails to install.

I am very new to Ubuntu. I would like to use this operating system, but I can't seem to figure out this basic problem. Would someone walk me through this process step-by-step? I cannot use Ubuntu if I cannot use the Internet.

March 12th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Open a terminal, navigate to the location of your extracted folder, make the install script executable

chmod +x autorun.sh
and execute it as root

sudo ./autorun.sh

March 12th, 2012, 09:49 PM
TeoBigusGeekus, thank you! The Internet is much faster now!

March 12th, 2012, 09:54 PM
You're welcome my friend.