PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Install LinuxDC++

Pages : [1] 2

stevensheehy
June 11th, 2006, 12:50 AM
UPDATE 1: LinuxDC++ 1.1.0 has been released. This guide is only if you want to compile the latest LinuxDC++ from Bazaar, which may or may not be as stable as 1.1.0. You can find it in our: LinuxDC++ Release PPA (https://launchpad.net/~linuxdcpp-team/+archive/release)

UPDATE 2: You can install debian binaries of our latest unreleased code from our Launchpad PPA (https://launchpad.net/~linuxdcpp-team/+archive/ppa).

First off, for those that don't know, LinuxDC++ (https://launchpad.net/linuxdcpp) is a Linux port of the file-sharing program DC++ (http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/). It uses the DC++ core but with a GTK+ GUI. It has also been called by many other names including: linuxdcpp, ldcpp, dcpp, ldc++, dc++ for linux, wulfor. I'm a developer on LinuxDC++ and thought I'd write up a guide to install LinuxDC++ on Ubuntu.

First, download the required dependencies:

bzr
scons
build-essential
libgtk2.0-dev
libglade2-dev
zlib1g-dev
libbz2-dev
libssl-dev
libboost-dev

To do this in one command:

sudo apt-get install bzr scons build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libglade2-dev zlib1g-dev libbz2-dev libssl-dev libboost-dev

There are no official releases of the program since it's still in alpha. This means that there exists no official binaries for any distribution. However, to install LinuxDC++ you can download it through bazaar. Run these commands in your home directory or somewhere else where you have write access:

bzr branch lp:linuxdcpp

Now to install (you can set PREFIX to whatever, but I'd recommend /usr/local):

cd linuxdcpp
scons release=1 PREFIX=/usr/local
sudo scons install

To run:

linuxdcpp
Note: Turn off Assistive Technologies before running LinuxDC++ (System->Preferences->Assistive Technologies). For some reason, it makes linuxdcpp run very slowly and display a bunch of errors.

When we update the source, you can update your linuxdcpp source and re-run the scons & scons install commands from above to install it again. To update the source:

cd /path/to/source/dir
bzr update

To uninstall LinuxDC++:

cd /path/to/source/dir
sudo scons -c install
Then you can delete your source directory if you like.

Some links:

LinuxDC++ (https://launchpad.net/linuxdcpp): official homepage
PPA (https://launchpad.net/~linuxdcpp-team/+archive/ppa): Debian packages of our latest unreleased code
LinuxDC++ Wiki (http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=DC%2B%2B+for+Linux): You can find our FAQ and our manual here.
DC++ (http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/): original windows DC++ program that LinuxDC++ is based on.
#linuxdc++@freenode.net (irc://irc.freenode.net/linuxdc++): Visit our IRC channel if you have any questions. I'm usually there under the nick "_steven_"; if I'm not, just ask in the channel and somebody should hopefully respond.

Poka64
June 11th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Great howto, thx for all the help on irc :)

anodizer
June 12th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Nice howto, thnx. Now let's hope for a final and bug-free release of linuxdc++.

mrazster
June 12th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Works like a charm....no problems here.
Ran one of your previous releases under breezy...very unstable and buggy.

One thing thou...it uses alot of cpu power from time to time....ie. when I connect to a hub with say 3000+ users....it takes alot of cpu power to calculate number of users and the amount of files shared.

Other than, that everything is peachy..!!! :p

stevensheehy
June 12th, 2006, 04:08 PM
One thing thou...it uses alot of cpu power from time to time....ie. when I connect to a hub with say 3000+ users....it takes alot of cpu power to calculate number of users and the amount of files shared.

Don't sort the user list. GtkTreeView is inefficient when inserting thousands of rows and having it sorted. Keeping it unsorted until it fully loads should speed things up. Same with search.

Rizado
June 12th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Works ok, it's allittle buggy still. /fav doesn't seem to work (Maybe it's supposed to be like this?) and it refuses to show any hublist. Anyone else having this problem? One of the hublists doesn't exist and dc tells me this but when I remove that one nothing happens at all.

stevensheehy
June 12th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Works ok, it's allittle buggy still. /fav doesn't seem to work (Maybe it's supposed to be like this?) and it refuses to show any hublist. Anyone else having this problem? One of the hublists doesn't exist and dc tells me this but when I remove that one nothing happens at all.

As I've said previously, it's still in alpha so bugs are to be expected. I've also mentioned that not all features have been implemented (eg /fav). hublist.org might be down again.

mrazster
June 12th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Don't sort the user list. GtkTreeView is inefficient when inserting thousands of rows and having it sorted. Keeping it unsorted until it fully loads should speed things up. Same with search.

Well...it does that by default. Atleast it does for me....and either I'm dumb or blind :p ....but I can't a setting for it.

stevensheehy
June 13th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Well...it does that by default. Atleast it does for me....and either I'm dumb or blind :p ....but I can't a setting for it.

No it does not. Sometimes a hub sends the user list in somewhat sorted order, but the GtkTreeView is not sorted upon startup. You can tell because there's no arrow indicating order on any of the column headers.

Rizado
June 13th, 2006, 07:45 AM
As I've said previously, it's still in alpha so bugs are to be expected. I've also mentioned that not all features have been implemented (eg /fav). hublist.org might be down again.Well the thing is hublist.org isn't down, the other one is and it tell me this but then nothing happens. I just wanted to know if this only happens to me.

stevensheehy
June 13th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Well the thing is hublist.org isn't down, the other one is and it tell me this but then nothing happens. I just wanted to know if this only happens to me.

http://www.hublist.org/PublicHubList.xml.bz2 works for me. Are you able to connect to hubs and search just fine? If not, then a firewall of some sort might be blocking you and you could try switching to passive.

Rizado
June 14th, 2006, 11:04 AM
http://www.hublist.org/PublicHubList.xml.bz2 works for me. Are you able to connect to hubs and search just fine? If not, then a firewall of some sort might be blocking you and you could try switching to passive.Everything works except hublists, I can copy the favorites xml from windows and use it. Maybe it's just a new bug that'll be fixed soon.

Angellis_ater
June 15th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Hi! I've been using LDCPP for a few days now and everything has been working excellently, up until today.

Now, when I start LDCPP it acts as if my active mode isn't correctly set or something - I can't search nor download from other users. I've checked my IP settings and they are correct.

All of this happened, as far as I can tell, after installing Automatix and BitTornado - can they have affected something crucial for LDCPP?

Angellis_ater
June 15th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I tried to uninstall it and got the following error:

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'config.log':
File "SConstruct", line 73:
conf = Configure(env, custom_tests = {'CheckPKGConfig' : CheckPKGConfig,
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/SCons/SConf.py", line 129:
self._startup()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/SCons/SConf.py", line 464:
self.logstream = open(str(self.logfile), log_mode)

So, how do I fix this problem?

stevensheehy
June 15th, 2006, 07:38 AM
So, how do I fix this problem?

Which problem? You mentioned two...

For the first one, try a new profile (rename ~/.dc++). If same deal, then it's a problem with your local network config (firewall, router, etc). At the very least, it should work on passive.

Second one, no idea. Looks like your something is wrong with the scons installed on your system.

skatedawe
June 15th, 2006, 09:13 AM
I got problem with hash! It has to hash everytime i start ldcpp, when its starting it want to hash +150gb everytime im restarting the program.

Is there anything I can do ?

Rizado
June 15th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I got problem with hash! It has to hash everytime i start ldcpp, when its starting it want to hash +150gb everytime im restarting the program.

Is there anything I can do ?I have to hash everything with åäö in the name, could be something like that for you too. Luckely I only have one movie with those letters.

skatedawe
June 15th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Thank you so much [tackar] :)

I'm gonna try it. I think it will solve the problems.

stevensheehy
June 15th, 2006, 05:00 PM

Is there anything I can do ?

Please read our Bug Tracker (http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?group_id=2230) to see if the bug is already known before mentioning it. In this instance, Bug #4138.

xerixs
June 15th, 2006, 05:25 PM
All work. Thx :)

stevensheehy
June 15th, 2006, 07:40 PM
I just upgraded the dc++ core of LinuxDC++ from 0.674 to 0.691. There are a lot of nice features and bug fixes in this. This is from the changelog (pay special note to the warning):

* Upgraded the client core to version 0.691:

<WARNING>

* All sources to downloads will be lost (not the files) due to Queue.xml core changes.
* Some settings will have to be reconfigured (namely connection mode & speed).
</WARNING>
* Added features:

* Disconnect slow users.
* IP field can accept a hostname.
* Markers for ZDownloads, TTH Trees, TTH Check, Secure (Not supported) & Rollback.
* Show timestamps options.
* Log Hub, PM and Filelist transfers.
* Option to use Monospaced font for Hub & PM (thanks UrkeMMI).
* Tab bolding options for Hub, PM, Search, Finished Downloads and Finished Uploads.
* Notification when searching too soon.
* Fixed bugs:

* Bug #6103: crashes when have no permission to create file/directory (untested)
* Bug #6294: Hub topics not working
* Bug #6462: User list loading very slow (on Open DC hubs)
* Switching connection mode requires a restart.
* Completely rewrote settings dialog to make room for the new options.
* Hid most of the unimplemented settings.
* Fixed bug #7651: GUI Freeze (in downloadqueue)
* Rewrote the character encoding code to use a user-specified fallback locale (default CP1252)
if current locale fails. Not a 100% fix for unicode issues, but a start.

Enjoy

stevensheehy
June 15th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Note that this updated may fix the rehashing files on startup issue. I would appreciate if people could test and reply back here if fixed or not.

anodizer
June 16th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Note that this updated may fix the rehashing files on startup issue. I would appreciate if people could test and reply back here if fixed or not.

No it isn't. Still rehashing the same tracks.

Angellis_ater
June 16th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Can't say what it is, but the upgrade fixed any problems I had with downloading! Excellent work and nice update in general! You guys ROCK!

weiersc
June 18th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Hi,

I think I have a different problem. When I try to contact cvs with "cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxdcpp.berlios.de:/cvsroot/linuxdcpp login" the connection fails, and I am quite sure that it is because the Firewall is blocking access to the port (2401).

Is there any other way for me to download the source? I was able to downlaod the .deb package linuxdcpp_0.0.1.cvs20060530-1_i386.deb, but my debian installer gives an error: Depenency is not satisfiable: libc6.

I wonder if somebody could help me with a workaround? (I use ubuntu dapper, I have all the other programmes installed, except for the files that I need to download from the cvs server)

Thanks

Weiers

stevensheehy
June 18th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I think I have a different problem. When I try to contact cvs with "cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxdcpp.berlios.de:/cvsroot/linuxdcpp login" the connection fails, and I am quite sure that it is because the Firewall is blocking access to the port (2401).

You don't need to specifically allow ports to connect with cvs. You're initiating the connection so the port is already open when the server replies. More likely, the server was down at the time and you should try again. Unless you setup some really weird firewall rules...

Is there any other way for me to download the source? I was able to downlaod the .deb package linuxdcpp_0.0.1.cvs20060530-1_i386.deb, but my debian installer gives an error: Depenency is not satisfiable: libc6.

We don't provide the source except through CVS. The debian is the only other way (and that isn't an official way). If the debian doesn't install, then probably the CVS won't install either. You need to get libc6, which should've been downloaded if you got the build-essential package.

h2gofast
June 19th, 2006, 06:53 AM
how does this compare to valknut?

NeoChaosX
June 19th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Valknut, being written in Qt, intergrates better with KDE. However, if you're familiar with DC++ in Windows and are a GNOME user, Linux DC++ will make you feel at home. Valknut's is a complete program, though, while DC++ is alpha and doesn't have as many features implemented (properly) yet (for instance, downloading a directory is still buggy in Linux DC++).

Oblong_Cheese
June 22nd, 2006, 01:34 AM
Under Dapper amd-k8 kernel (not that that should make a difference?), the download, compile and install works fine, I can run the programme fine, but it simply will not hash any files or generate a file list.

When I open ldcpp, in the statusbar is the message "Hashing failed: could not open file", irrespective of the file I have set it to hash; be it in my local directory or not.

Executing ldcpp under gksudo does not help either.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Fixed!

Turns out there's a bug in the 64-bit compile whereby ~/.dc++/HashData.dat isn't created. A simple # touch ~/.dc++/HashData.dat and ldcpp is on it's way!

snek
June 22nd, 2006, 07:33 PM
I got the program working fine, except I can't seem to share most directories.. It works for some, but on others it crashes right away. So far I haven't been able to share a folder on an NTFS drive. But it even has problems with some folders under ext3. It seems like it doesn't like sharing folders with lots of periods and/or strange symbols.. But if I share a dir under that with a simple name it does share it o_0

Ubuntu 6.06LTS - Kernel 6.15-25 K7

AMD Sempron64 3400+
Asus K8V-SE Deluxe
1.5GB DDR400
80GB IDE133 - EXT3
250GB SATA - NTFS
300GB SATA - NTFS
120GB FireWire External - NTFS

stevensheehy
June 24th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Turns out there's a bug in the 64-bit compile whereby ~/.dc++/HashData.dat isn't created. A simple # touch ~/.dc++/HashData.dat and ldcpp is on it's way!

Fixed in CVS.

I got the program working fine, except I can't seem to share most directories.. It works for some, but on others it crashes right away. So far I haven't been able to share a folder on an NTFS drive. But it even has problems with some folders under ext3. It seems like it doesn't like sharing folders with lots of periods and/or strange symbols.. But if I share a dir under that with a simple name it does share it o_0

I committed a possible fix for the crashing when adding shares problem. The not sharing some dirs is due to character encoding issues. There's not an easy fix.

snek
June 27th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Ah thanks a lot. I will give it a try once I am back home.

snek
June 28th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Somehow the update didn't want to work, but after uninstalling (and deleting all files from the .whatever dir in my home) and reinstalling the program it's working fine. It even shared all the files on my NTFS drives without problems...

Thanks stevensheehy, saved my life!! ;)

Nikolas
July 1st, 2006, 03:21 PM
Hello,
I ran into a little problem while compiling LinuxDC++. It seems that I have all the packages that it requires, but when I run scons in linuxdcpp directry, I get *loads* of weird errors saying some crazy stuff like "./string:593:1: error: exponent has no digits". I've pasted some of the errors to here (http://rafb.net/paste/results/1gm5mz84.html). Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

stevensheehy
July 2nd, 2006, 12:58 AM
Hello,
I ran into a little problem while compiling LinuxDC++. It seems that I have all the packages that it requires, but when I run scons in linuxdcpp directry, I get *loads* of weird errors saying some crazy stuff like "./string:593:1: error: exponent has no digits". I've pasted some of the errors to here (http://rafb.net/paste/results/1gm5mz84.html). Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

It looks like your STL string header is messed up. Your install messes up as soon as <string> is included, so it's definitely something wrong with your system. You should have the dev files for libstdc++. If you do, try re-installing libstdc++ (mine is libstdc++6 & libstdc++6-4.0-dev).

kikkum
July 4th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I built a Dapper i386 package from the deb-source at http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/linuxdcpp, which is a cvs build itself. Installing with this package works like a charm for me, haven't experienced any bugs yet (though this is only my 2nd testing hour).

You can download it from http://ubuntu.kikkum.net/pakketten/linuxdcpp_0.0.1.cvs20060613-1_i386.deb or build it yourself from the source package at the above URL by doing

$ dpkg-source -x linuxdcpp_0.0.1.cvs20060613-1.dsc
$ cd linuxdcpp_blah
$ fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage

and installing like

$ cd ..
$ sudo dpkg -i linuxdcpp_0.0.1.cvs20060613-1_i386.deb

stevensheehy
July 4th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I built a Dapper i386 package from the deb-source at http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/linuxdcpp, which is a cvs build itself.

Did you happen to try installing the already built Debian ones on that page to see if they worked first? I'm curious to see whether they work on Ubuntu or not...

kikkum
July 5th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Did you happen to try installing the already built Debian ones on that page to see if they worked first? I'm curious to see whether they work on Ubuntu or not...

Indeed I tried that first, but because it's a build from the unstable branch, it has a bunch of dependencies with versions higher than the versions in Dapper. If you'd really want to, I suppose you can install all those dependencies by downloading them from the Debian repo's, but you'd be screwing up your Dapper in the process (security updates won't be applied automatically anymore, because your version would always stay higher until the next Ubuntu).

Long story short: it doesn't work (at least not out of the box, and isn't that what we all want ;) ).

stevensheehy
July 13th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I just committed a major update in which I added a bunch of features like /commands, etc.:

* Removed the last vestiges of Wulfor name in the GUI (thanks Pavlov Konstantin).
* Fixed some memory leaks.
* callback.hh was finally removed.
* Re-added show tray icon setting.
* Fixed a crash when adding the same share twice (thanks Mikael Eman).
* Fixed a crash when downloading a dir from search in debug mode (regression).
* Hub changes:
* Cleaned up the source.
* Added keyboard events.
* Added ability to retrieve chat history by using the up and down arrows.
* Fixed problem with not having userlist sorted when joining a hub.
* Turned off "rules-hint" (AKA striped lines) in nick treeview to speed things up.
* Replaced nick completion code with the much simpler GtkEntryCompletion (5 lines of code vs 100).
* Implemented these options:
* Filter kick messages
* Log status messages
* Automatically follow redirects
* Show timestamps in chat by default
* View status messages in main chat
* Show joins / parts in chat by default
* Only show joins / parts for favorite users
* Send unknown /commands to the hub
* Open new window when using /join
* Ignore private messages from offline users
* Open new private message windows in the background
* Open file list window in the background
* Added these commands: /away, /back, /clear, /close, /favorite, /getlist,
/grant, /help, /join, /pm, /rebuild, /userlist

ekravche
July 15th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Thanx for posting this howto

Dunkel Engel
July 16th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Hello, I have a "little" problem.
I just can't download files not neither the filelist, it just says "connection timeout"
This it not happens with all users, and I know that the problem it's not about passive mode or something like that, because I can download files from some passives users.
maybe someone knows what it's happening?

kikkum
July 16th, 2006, 02:41 PM
I just committed a major update in which I added a bunch of features like /commands, etc.:

Did you notify the Debian package manager (Romain Beauxis <toots@rastageeks.org>)?

stevensheehy
July 16th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Did you notify the Debian package manager (Romain Beauxis <toots@rastageeks.org>)?

Why would I do that? We update much more often than I've happened to mention in this thread, as you can see in our changelog (http://cvs.berlios.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/linuxdcpp/linuxdcpp/Changelog.txt?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain). Am I to email him each time? Am I also to email other distro package providers like ALT Linux Sisyphus, FreeBSD, NetBSD, etc.? Besides, he's been able to keep up-to-date thus far, except it looks like Romain is having issues with the upgrade to DC++ core 0.691 since his cvs version is 20060613. This is why I recommend compiling from CVS, you don't get the latest updates otherwise.

kikkum
July 16th, 2006, 07:16 PM
You could do it to make me a happier man :p But I'll try cvs'ing it them sometime.

Poka64
July 17th, 2006, 01:50 AM
You could do it to make me a happier man :p But I'll try cvs'ing it them sometime.

It's not that hard, the step-by-step instructions on the first page works perfectly ! :)

evdm
July 20th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I do not seem to be able to install as described in this howto. I run a pretty fresh Dapper (i386) installation and get the following:

sudo apt-get install cvs scons build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libglade2-dev zlib1g-dev libbz2-dev

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libgtk2.0-dev: Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (= 2.8.17-1ubuntu5) but 2.8.18-0ubuntu2 is to be installed
Depends: libglib2.0-dev (>= 2.8.5) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libpango1.0-dev (>= 1.10.0-2) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libatk1.0-dev (>= 1.6.1-2) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

I have also tried the suggested:

sudo apt-get install libglitz1-dev

But that did not seem to help.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated, thanks!

Erik

stevensheehy
July 20th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Looks like there's some issues with your repository. Your libgtk2.0-dev is depending on an older libgtk2.0 package. It even says as much at the bottom with "Broken packages". You should make sure you only have the default repositories enabled and reload the list using synaptic. If that doesn't work, you may have to contact Ubuntu devs for help.

evdm
July 22nd, 2006, 06:29 AM
You should make sure you only have the default repositories enabled and reload the list using synaptic.

Thanks a Mil for that! I replaced the repository (which was, IIRC, a present from easyubuntu) with the one from the ubuntuguide and it worked like a charm. I am very pleased with LinuxDC++!

There seems to be a minor issue that the terminal from which I start the application keeps giving:

(ldcpp:6691): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

Not sure if that should bother me?
Further I do not seem to get stunnel encryption working on Dapper, but that might be a bit off-topick here.

Anyway, thanks again!

nylle
July 22nd, 2006, 04:25 PM
This is weird, I used to run the version that is installed with automatix, and after reading this thread realised that it was quite old. I installed from cvs today, and while the application looks a lot better I can't connect to my normal hubs anymore.

They complain:

You are either using a too old or non accepted client for this hub. We are currently only allowing clients that support extended protocol tth hashing and have dc++ myinfo string present. The client can not have such as bandwidth limitation or fake share possibilities.
We currently require atleast DC++ 0.668, fulDC 6.58 or McDC++ 0.26

And the hublog says:

The clientversion that you are running is not allowed in this
hub, please upgrade before coming back!

This is quite odd, as I just upgraded from an older version, and then it was no problem to connect.

Has LinuxDC++ changed its info string recently?

EDIT: Crap, it seems that it's the hubs I'm connecting to that hasn't changed the version they allow to the latest dc++. So, disregard the above.

stevensheehy
July 22nd, 2006, 04:41 PM
(ldcpp:6691): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

Ignore these.

nylle
July 22nd, 2006, 04:59 PM
Heh, I changed the version string to 0.674 and recompiled. Now everything seems to work fine.

Thanks for bringing this program to Linux!

kaamos
July 22nd, 2006, 06:06 PM
Fixed in CVS.

Present in todays cvs on a 32bit platform.

stevensheehy
July 23rd, 2006, 11:57 PM
Present in todays cvs on a 32bit platform.

I'm on 64bit and don't experience this problem. I also asked another guy in the channel to reproduce this problem on 32bit and he could not. Deleting ~/.dc++/ and starting ldcpp creates a new profile. HashIndex.xml isn't created until you add a share.

stevensheehy
July 27th, 2006, 09:45 PM
If you get this error when trying to download the source tree using cvs:

can't create temporary directory /tmp/cvs-serv9546
No space left on device

That means the actual berlios CVS server is out of space on their hard drive (your hard drive is fine ;) ). Until berlios fixes it, you can download the latest source here:

http://tinyurl.com/m88fo

lovewontbebetter
July 29th, 2006, 09:59 PM
XML Parsing Error:not well-formed
Location:chrome://mozapps/content/downloads/unknownContentType.xul
Number 1,Column 1:
Downloads/unknownContentType.xulUT

this was the message which i got when i tried to directly download
linuxdcpp_0.0.1.cvs20060530-1_i386.deb from "http://ftp.gva.es/mirror/debian/pool/main/l/linuxdcpp/?C=N;O=D"

If i take up the regular routine for installing Dc++ like what is mentioned in the manual for breezy n the begining of thread i get ::

tatsat@ubuntu:~/ldcpp$ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxdcpp.berlios.de:/cvsroot/linuxdcpp login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxdcpp.berlios.de:2401/cvsroot/linuxdcppCVS password:
Unknown host cvs.linuxdcpp.berlios.de.

$$$$$What should i do about it?? Please help me out am stuck,If anyone is having the deb please mail me at lovewontbebetter@yahoo.co.in..I will be obeliged to him for kindness..
Please helpme out

stevensheehy
July 30th, 2006, 02:17 AM
this was the message which i got when i tried to directly download
linuxdcpp_0.0.1.cvs20060530-1_i386.deb from "http://ftp.gva.es/mirror/debian/pool/main/l/linuxdcpp/?C=N;O=D"

As I said, there are no official binaries so we do not provide support for any that you may find. The one you downloaded is a Debian binary and someone else in the thread has already confirmed it doesn't work on Ubuntu. I should probably remove it from the front page.

If i take up the regular routine for installing Dc++ like what is mentioned in the manual for breezy n the begining of thread i get ::
The CVS server has been having issues lately. It seems to be okay at the moment so try it again. You only have to press enter when it prompts for the password.

lovewontbebetter
July 30th, 2006, 06:19 PM
its not working even now

stevensheehy
August 1st, 2006, 05:29 AM
its not working even now

It seems to be back down again. Download the archive I posted 3 posts up.

lleberg
August 16th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Seems i'm stuck in some passive-mode thing, can't search and can't download filelists..
Upgraded from linuxdc++, some older version.. and it took the settings and everything from that, really wounderful!

But how to fix the downloading issue? the activemode ports are open..

stokedfish
August 18th, 2006, 12:44 AM
thank you so much for this how-to!

i hope everything works fine here, giving it a go now! :)

humansuit
August 21st, 2006, 07:01 PM
Hi

I upgraded with cvs today 21.8 (cvs update -d) and now the program crashes every time i try to add custom Download to -option in options->download. The programs just shuts down when I click the Add-button. I went ahead to file a bug but there was something wrong with the registration so i figured someone might find this here.

EDIT: The crashing happens also when i try to add a shared folder so maybe something wrong with that add-window

I ran the ldcpp in gdb and this followed:

[New Thread -1324110928 (LWP 10263)]
[Thread -1324110928 (LWP 10263) exited]
[New Thread -1324110928 (LWP 10264)]
[Thread -1324110928 (LWP 10264) exited]
[New Thread -1324110928 (LWP 10271)]
[Thread -1324110928 (LWP 10271) exited]
[New Thread -1324110928 (LWP 10272)]
[Thread -1315447888 (LWP 10262) exited]
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'SocketException'

Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
[Switching to Thread -1289864272 (LWP 10259)]
0xffffe410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()

and backtrace produced the following:

(gdb) backtrace
#0 0xffffe410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1 0xb75f49a1 in raise () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#2 0xb75f62b9 in abort () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#3 0xb77d3c1e in __gnu_cxx::__verbose_terminate_handler ()
from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#4 0xb77d1915 in __gxx_personality_v0 () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#5 0xb77d194a in std::terminate () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#6 0xb77d195f in std::terminate () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#7 0xb77d1418 in __cxa_call_unexpected () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#8 0x0808ec8a in ConnectionManager::Server::run ()
#9 0x081646c0 in Thread::starter ()
#10 0xb7f61341 in start_thread () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0
#11 0xb76954ee in clone () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6

I'm running ubuntu dapper drake with gnome 2.14.3

Hope this helps,
pete

stevensheehy
August 22nd, 2006, 04:53 AM
I upgraded with cvs today 21.8 (cvs update -d) and now the program crashes every time i try to add custom Download to -option in options->download. The programs just shuts down when I click the Add-button. I went ahead to file a bug but there was something wrong with the registration so i figured someone might find this here.

EDIT: The crashing happens also when i try to add a shared folder so maybe something wrong with that add-window

I could not reproduce your crash. Most likely you updated and somehow your glade file is out of sync with CVS head (probably due to differing PREFIX's). Open settingsdialog.glade and search for "dirChooserDialog", which is the dialog that pops up when you press the add button. If it doesn't exist, then it's the above problem I mentioned. If it does exist, re-compile with scons debug=1, then run in gdb and try to get it to crash when adding a download to option.

humansuit
August 22nd, 2006, 07:46 AM
I could not reproduce your crash. Most likely you updated and somehow your glade file is out of sync with CVS head (probably due to differing PREFIX's). Open settingsdialog.glade and search for "dirChooserDialog", which is the dialog that pops up when you press the add button. If it doesn't exist, then it's the above problem I mentioned. If it does exist, re-compile with scons debug=1, then run in gdb and try to get it to crash when adding a download to option.

Thanks for your reply.
This was the only mention of dirChooserDialog in settingsdialog.glade:

<widget class="GtkFileChooserDialog" id="dirChooserDialog">
followed by bunch of <property name>s

I re-compiled dc++ with debug=1 but i don't thinks it's giving me any more info than i already pasted. Now it hangs instead of crashing when i run it in gdb and crashes with "terminate called after throwing an instance of 'SocketException' Aborted" when i run it normally.

I installed Glade Interface Designer a while ago (between initial install of ldcpp and yesterdays upgrade), could some of it's glade-libraries or something affect this? Just guessing, i really don't know much of these things :)

Is there any way to add shares and download to -options from the command line? everything else works just fine..

thanks,
pete

stevensheehy
August 22nd, 2006, 07:58 PM
You can always edit ~/.dc++/Favorites.xml if you want to add favorite dirs and edit DCPlusPlus.xml if you want to add shared dirs. Though unless you have an existing entry, the exact format to add it as is not exactly clear.

Just because the settingsdialog.glade that you opened has dirChooserDialog doesn't mean that there might not be another settingsdialog.glade on your system that ldcpp is using. It still sounds to me like you didn't upgrade it properly (e.g. you didn't supply PREFIX to both scons and scons install after cvs update). What I would recommend though is to completely start over from scratch. Remove the install and compile linuxdcpp directories and follow this howto again from scratch. You may also want to try with a new profile to see if that helps.

humansuit
September 1st, 2006, 02:54 PM
You can always edit ~/.dc++/Favorites.xml if you want to add favorite dirs and edit DCPlusPlus.xml if you want to add shared dirs. Though unless you have an existing entry, the exact format to add it as is not exactly clear.

Just because the settingsdialog.glade that you opened has dirChooserDialog doesn't mean that there might not be another settingsdialog.glade on your system that ldcpp is using. It still sounds to me like you didn't upgrade it properly (e.g. you didn't supply PREFIX to both scons and scons install after cvs update). What I would recommend though is to completely start over from scratch. Remove the install and compile linuxdcpp directories and follow this howto again from scratch. You may also want to try with a new profile to see if that helps.

Hi

I just uninstalled, slocated and removed everything related to dc++, including ~/.dc++/, installed again following the howto in this thread, and it still crashes everytime dirChooserDialog is needed. Any ideas? :) Now I can't add shared folders anymore so i can't use it anymore :(

Pete

stevensheehy
September 1st, 2006, 03:04 PM
Hi

I just uninstalled, slocated and removed everything related to dc++, including ~/.dc++/, installed again following the howto in this thread, and it still crashes everytime dirChooserDialog is needed. Any ideas? :) Now I can't add shared folders anymore so i can't use it anymore :(

Pete

Not unless you compile in debug mode and paste me an updated backtrace.

humansuit
September 1st, 2006, 03:52 PM
Not unless you compile in debug mode and paste me an updated backtrace.

Ok,

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/ldcpp
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread -1219615040 (LWP 10314)]
Thrown: FileException: Could not open /home/koti/.dc++/GeoIpCountryWhois.csv
Thrown: FileException: Could not open /home/koti/.dc++/Favorites.xml
FavoriteManager::load: FileException: Could not open /home/koti/.dc++/Favorites.xml
Loading: Hash database
[New Thread -1220850768 (LWP 10317)]
Thrown: FileException: Could not open /home/koti/.dc++/HashIndex.xml
Loading: Shared Files
Thrown: FileException: Could not open /home/koti/.dc++/files.xml.bz2
FileException: Could not open /home/koti/.dc++/files.xml.bz2
[New Thread -1229243472 (LWP 10318)]
[Thread -1229243472 (LWP 10318) exited]
Loading: Download Queue
[New Thread -1229243472 (LWP 10319)]
[New Thread -1238053968 (LWP 10320)]
[New Thread -1246446672 (LWP 10321)]
[New Thread -1270867024 (LWP 10322)]
[New Thread -1271583824 (LWP 10323)]
[New Thread -1279976528 (LWP 10324)]
[New Thread -1288369232 (LWP 10325)]
[New Thread -1296823376 (LWP 10326)]
Thrown: SocketException: Keskeytetty järjestelmäkutsu
Thrown: SocketException: Keskeytetty järjestelmäkutsu
terminate called recursively

Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
[Switching to Thread -1279976528 (LWP 10324)]
0xffffe410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()

(Keskeytetty järjestelmäkutsu means Interrupted System Call)

(gdb) backtrace
#1 0xb75df9a1 in raise () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#2 0xb75e12b9 in abort () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#3 0xb77bec1e in __gnu_cxx::__verbose_terminate_handler () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#4 0xb77bc915 in __gxx_personality_v0 () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#5 0xb77bc94a in std::terminate () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#6 0xb77bc95f in std::terminate () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#7 0xb77bc418 in __cxa_call_unexpected () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#8 0x0808fdf2 in ConnectionManager::Server::run (this=0x8585568) at client/ConnectionManager.cpp:260
#9 0x08168750 in Thread::starter (p=0x8585568) at Thread.h:130
#10 0xb7f4c341 in start_thread () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0
#11 0xb76804ee in clone () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6

Did i compile it corretly in debug mode; i mean is this the info you need?

Thanks,
pete

stevensheehy
September 1st, 2006, 04:33 PM
The cvs update from today changed the binary name and prefix path. Though you should always read the changelog when updating, I'll post part of it here since this is important:

2006-09-01 - Steven Sheehy
* Changed binary name and data path from ldcpp to linuxdcpp to satisfy package maintainers.
!!IMPORTANT!! - run "scons -c install" to remove all the old files before compiling.

Thus, run "scons -c install" to delete the executable and any installed files. If you never ran scons install, you just need to run "scons -c".

This also means you should update your menu entries and any scripts to point to the new executable name.

stevensheehy
September 1st, 2006, 04:57 PM
Did i compile it corretly in debug mode; i mean is this the info you need?

Compiling in debug mode adds line numbers so I can see where it crashed. The backtrace shows it's crashing because of some socket issues but that should be completely unrelated to the issue with adding a shared folder. Ok, let's try a few things. First don't open up any tabs when you startup (so remove autoconnect stuff). Second, instead of running in gdb, run "ulimit -c unlimited" to enable coredumps. Then run ldcpp as normal. It will produce a coredump file when it crashes. Run "gdb --core=your.core.file ./ldcpp" then run "bt" and paste the backtrace here. Sometimes ldcpp has weird crashes when ran in gdb and connecting over sockets.

humansuit
September 1st, 2006, 04:59 PM
Well, i removed all once again and reinstalled, but running linuxdcpp crashes exactly the same.

Aborted.

I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with my systemwide GTK/glade/whatever-files.

humansuit
September 1st, 2006, 06:19 PM
Compiling in debug mode adds line numbers so I can see where it crashed. The backtrace shows it's crashing because of some socket issues but that should be completely unrelated to the issue with adding a shared folder. Ok, let's try a few things. First don't open up any tabs when you startup (so remove autoconnect stuff). Second, instead of running in gdb, run "ulimit -c unlimited" to enable coredumps. Then run ldcpp as normal. It will produce a coredump file when it crashes. Run "gdb --core=your.core.file ./ldcpp" then run "bt" and paste the backtrace here. Sometimes ldcpp has weird crashes when ran in gdb and connecting over sockets.

Sorry, I completely missed your second post. I don't have any tabs opening at startup so it's not it. Here's the backtrace from coredump.

(gdb) bt
#1 0xb763a9a1 in raise () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#2 0xb763c2b9 in abort () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#3 0xb7819c1e in __gnu_cxx::__verbose_terminate_handler () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#4 0xb7817915 in __gxx_personality_v0 () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#5 0xb781794a in std::terminate () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#6 0xb781795f in std::terminate () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#7 0xb7817418 in __cxa_call_unexpected () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#8 0x0808fd3a in ConnectionManager::Server::run (this=0x85518f8) at client/ConnectionManager.cpp:260
#9 0x081685d8 in Thread::starter (p=0x85518f8) at Thread.h:130
#10 0xb7fa7341 in start_thread () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0
#11 0xb76db4ee in clone () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6

stevensheehy
September 2nd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Open up client/ConnectionManager.cpp and scroll to line 260. Replace the while loop (e.g. lines 261-265) with this:

try {
while(!die) {
if(sock.wait(POLL_TIMEOUT, Socket::WAIT_READ) == Socket::WAIT_READ) {
ConnectionManager::getInstance()->accept(sock, secure);
}
}
} catch(const SocketException&) { }

sock.wait() throws an exception but ConnectionManager::Server::run() is not supposed to throw any exceptions. Why this is at all related to adding a share, I have no idea.

humansuit
September 2nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
Open up client/ConnectionManager.cpp and scroll to line 260. Replace the while loop (e.g. lines 261-265) with this:

try {
while(!die) {
if(sock.wait(POLL_TIMEOUT, Socket::WAIT_READ) == Socket::WAIT_READ) {
ConnectionManager::getInstance()->accept(sock, secure);
}
}
} catch(const SocketException&) { }

sock.wait() throws an exception but ConnectionManager::Server::run() is not supposed to throw any exceptions. Why this is at all related to adding a share, I have no idea.

Heh, don't know either what was going on, but anyhow, that did the trick and no more crashes. Thank you very much for your help and keep up the good work!

Pete

naktekh
September 7th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Looks great! I had no problems pulling the latest sources from CVS and compiling them. Fantastic job and this was a real help to me.

minj
September 10th, 2006, 03:45 PM
I used ur advice from Ubuntu:Compiling Linux DCpp about running linuxdcpp in a different locale but I get this error:

(linuxdcpp:25489): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.

Is there any package I need to install? btw my locale is lt_LT

pebe
September 19th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks for improving the hash speed, hashes ~100% faster at best :)

Under Dapper amd-k8 kernel (not that that should make a difference?), the download, compile and install works fine, I can run the programme fine, but it simply will not hash any files or generate a file list.

When I open ldcpp, in the statusbar is the message "Hashing failed: could not open file", irrespective of the file I have set it to hash; be it in my local directory or not.

Executing ldcpp under gksudo does not help either.

Does anyone know why this is happening

Fixed!

Same problem with my 32-bit compile (tested with both dapper and edgy), "touch .dc++/hashData.dat" fixes it for me as well.

rebegin
September 21st, 2006, 03:10 PM
hey,
i've followed your instrucions and everything is fine exept one important thing: i cannot search...though i can download from a user's file list, and the search is only showing that hint i've already have in my downloading queue.
i've got a router, but i've got port forwarding set up correctly too(i think), normaly it doesn't tell me any error, just doesn't search...
but if i change the port numbers to others one(which aren't open) then i get tcp and upd error message in the terminal where i started the program.

anyway, is it posibble, to download with multiple line?

thanks in advance.

p.s.: sorry for my bad english

stevensheehy
September 21st, 2006, 08:16 PM
hey,
i've followed your instrucions and everything is fine exept one important thing: i cannot search...though i can download from a user's file list, and the search is only showing that hint i've already have in my downloading queue.
i've got a router, but i've got port forwarding set up correctly too(i think), normaly it doesn't tell me any error, just doesn't search...
but if i change the port numbers to others one(which aren't open) then i get tcp and upd error message in the terminal where i started the program.

Searching requires a UDP port to be open. Make sure you have this set up correctly in your router and your firewall (if any). Read the DC++ FAQ (http://dcpp.net/faq/) to see how to poke through routers. You can always set it to passive if you can't get it to work. By the way, I have never seen a case where not being able to search was caused by something other than user error. :)

anyway, is it posibble, to download with multiple line?

Not sure what you're asking here.

janne5011
September 28th, 2006, 01:13 PM
First off all thanks for all work with Linudc++ and this How to:D.

Application works but I want it to start without have terminal-window open,
how is that done?

Edit:Im op in a hub, app crasched when I kicked a user "segmentation error"...

stevensheehy
September 28th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Application works but I want it to start without have terminal-window open, how is that done?

Open it in nautilus and double click the executable or make a link to put on your desktop or make a menu etry or add to panel or... :)

Edit:Im op in a hub, app crasched when I kicked a user "segmentation error"...

Read the manual in the wiki on how to get backtraces and paste it here or open a bug on our site.

janne5011
September 28th, 2006, 09:26 PM
thanks crash occured only once, so maybe it was somethin else, I put errors here if I it occurs again - thanks for reply=)

Zaggy
October 8th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Great work! LinuxDC++ looks slick and seems to work well!

Jellyffs
October 11th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Looks fine for me. Currently hashing...

Thanks so much for making a descent dc++ client on linux !

Jellyffs
October 15th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Hi,

Actually, I'm meeting a rather strange problem.

DC++ seems to have difficulties hashing some mp3 files.

For example, in a folder of 10Go of mp3, each albums contains .sfv .nfo .m3u and .mp3 of course.

Well the first three kind of files mentionned are all hashed perfectly. But 50-70% of the .mp3 files doesn't appear at the end in my share.

When DC++ start hashing these 10Go, it does show "10Go left" --> then "9Go left" etc..etc... But when it finished, I check my share and/or go through my filelist and realize that a huge amount of .mp3 files are missing.

Also I tried to compare the one it succeeded to hash and the others, but I don't see any difference between them... Same kind of TAG, same characters in the name ("_ - )(")...

Anyone meeting the same issue? (I didn't see any posted bug about it).

Anyone has an idea, or a test I could do to move on with this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Alex.

stevensheehy
October 16th, 2006, 06:46 AM
DC++ does not add files to the list immediately after they're hashed. You have to manually refresh the list or wait for someone to download your list. There have also been cases in the past where if the files contain non-ASCII characters they might not show up in the share.

wolf202
October 16th, 2006, 09:30 AM
:) Great Guide, Submitted to Wikitut.org (http://www.wikitut.org)

http://www.wikitut.org/index.php?title=How_to_Install_LinuxDC

-wolf

Jellyffs
October 16th, 2006, 03:56 PM
DC++ does not add files to the list immediately after they're hashed. You have to manually refresh the list or wait for someone to download your list. There have also been cases in the past where if the files contain non-ASCII characters they might not show up in the share.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm using it since a week or so. I did refresh it a few times. And actually, DC++ hash my files at each start up and also every 1 hour or so, concerning this particular folder. It seems DC++ notices that something is wrong with the current filelist available to users and the "real" amount of files that aren't there. So it restart hashing this folder (and only that one) every hour or so.

So I guess the theory of non-ASCII characters might be closer to the problem. So I compared two examples again, but don't see any difference... I'm a beginner though..

Example of files (contained in one subfolder) that will appear correctly in share/filelist:

00-asylum-dj_vibes-asy003-vinyl-1993-xtc.jpg
00-asylum-dj_vibes-asy003-vinyl-1993-xtc.m3u
00-asylum-dj_vibes-asy003-vinyl-1993-xtc.nfo
00-asylum-dj_vibes-asy003-vinyl-1993-xtc.sfv
a-dj_vibes-hey_dj-xtc.mp3
b-dj_vibes-get_high_(new_jack_london)-xtc.mp3

Example of a subfolder that appears (subfolders always appear, it's only the .mp3 files inside it that are missing) but with the missing .mp3 files:

aa-calyx-schitzoid-sour.mp3
a-calyx-morphology-sour.mp3

In this same subfolder there's these following files, and they do appear:

00-31_Records-Calyx-31R007-1999-sour.nfo
00-31_Records-Calyx-31R007-1999-sour.m3u
00-31_Records-Calyx-31R007-1999-sour.sfv

I really don't get it... O_o

Thanks again.

Alex.

stoft
October 17th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Example of a subfolder that appears (subfolders always appear, it's only the .mp3 files inside it that are missing) but with the missing .mp3 files:

aa-calyx-schitzoid-sour.mp3
a-calyx-morphology-sour.mp3

Have you checked to make sure they don't already exist in some other folder, iirc DC++ has an option to hide files that already exist in share (and a rough guess is that DC++ goes by TTH in these cases).

AdamWarlock
October 17th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Isn't LinuxDC++ now available for Dapper using Automatix2?

Jellyffs
October 17th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Have you checked to make sure they don't already exist in some other folder, iirc DC++ has an option to hide files that already exist in share (and a rough guess is that DC++ goes by TTH in these cases).
Could have been yes. But it's a folder of 30Go. And only 11Go appears.. so..

Thanks.

sefmars
October 20th, 2006, 06:48 PM
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxdcpp.berlios.de:/cvsroot/linuxdcpp login

does not work it gives me connection timeout

mars@XANPVKGDT2:~$ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxdcpp.berlios.de:/cvsroot/linuxdcpp login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxdcpp.berlios.de:2401/cvsroot/linuxdcpp
CVS password:
cvs [login aborted]: connect to cvs.linuxdcpp.berlios.de(195.37.77.137):2401 failed: Connection timed out

any ideear

LetsLinux
November 12th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I have problems with the seach functions. I don't get any results.

Do any of you know why this happends?

Jellyffs
November 13th, 2006, 01:14 AM
you have a problem with your port forwarding apparently.

Have a look at any tutorial for any direct connect client out there. You'll find the problem.

bartbouter
November 14th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Thnx for this howto. :-D
I was looking for this to run on AMD64.

fw0127
November 15th, 2006, 05:57 PM
hi, I meet this problem when compile, how can it happen, I'am new to ubuntu:confused:

linuxdcpp$ scons release=1 PREFIX=/usr/local
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking for g++-4.0 >= 3.4...ok
Checking for pkg-config... ok
Checking for gtk+-2.0 >= 2.6... ok
Checking for gthread-2.0 >= 2.4... ok
Checking for libglade-2.0 >= 2.4... ok
Checking for C header file time.h... yes
Checking for C header file signal.h... yes
Checking for C header file unistd.h... yes
Checking for main() in C library pthread... yes
Checking for main() in C library z... yes
Checking for main() in C library bz2... yes
KeyError: 'debug':
File "SConstruct", line 166:
if env['debug']:
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/SCons/Environment.py", line 290:
return self._dict[key]

stevensheehy
November 15th, 2006, 06:36 PM
hi, I meet this problem when compile, how can it happen, I'am new to ubuntu:confused:

linuxdcpp$ scons release=1 PREFIX=/usr/local
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking for g++-4.0 >= 3.4...ok
Checking for pkg-config... ok
Checking for gtk+-2.0 >= 2.6... ok
Checking for gthread-2.0 >= 2.4... ok
Checking for libglade-2.0 >= 2.4... ok
Checking for C header file time.h... yes
Checking for C header file signal.h... yes
Checking for C header file unistd.h... yes
Checking for main() in C library pthread... yes
Checking for main() in C library z... yes
Checking for main() in C library bz2... yes
KeyError: 'debug':
File "SConstruct", line 166:
if env['debug']:
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/SCons/Environment.py", line 290:
return self._dict[key]

Not sure why that happened to you, but I've modified the SConstruct code to be a bit more robust in its error checking. This should hopefully fix your problem once it's committed to cvs. Until then, you can always delete the offending lines from SConstruct. ;)

stokedfish
November 15th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Great how-to, great client, great people on the IRC...thx for everything! :)

Christmas
November 21st, 2006, 09:11 PM
This works great, thank you, very well explained.

nbayiha
November 22nd, 2006, 12:32 AM
great how to really helpful
thanks dude

ciscosurfer
November 22nd, 2006, 12:41 AM
You could also use Automatix2 and have it installed in 20 seconds. :D

stokedfish
November 22nd, 2006, 11:07 AM
You could also use Automatix2 and have it installed in 20 seconds. :D

You could, but the automatix2 version is totally outdated!

I didn't manage to set up my ports properly with it, because some options in that dialog were missing. Now that I compiled the newest version from the source, it works like a charm.

Unless the automatix version doesn't get regularly updated in the future, I cannot recommend it! ;)

ciscosurfer
November 22nd, 2006, 04:43 PM
The vesion that Autamatix2 puts out seems to work fine for me.

rokixz
November 23rd, 2006, 10:54 PM
error accessing 'file:///home/ubuntu/dc%2B%2B/Downloads': File not found

What does it mean ?

stevensheehy
November 30th, 2006, 07:03 AM
error accessing 'file:///home/ubuntu/dc%2B%2B/Downloads': File not found

What does it mean ?

It's debug output. It means you can ignore it or create that directory so it doesn't complain.

stevensheehy
December 4th, 2006, 08:50 PM
2006-12-04 - Steven Sheehy
* Upgraded the DC++ core to 0.698:
* The 0.691 core contains a security flaw so I recommend you upgrade ASAP.
* Support for non-TTH files was removed (by DC++, so don't complain to us).
* Added SSL support (thanks Mattias Webjörn Eriksson for some help with this).
* OpenSSL is now a required dependency to build.
* Added a "Security Certificates" page in the preferences dialog.
* Added a TLS port entry in the "Connection" page.
* Added "Ignore private messages from bots" option.
* Added "Ignore private messages from the hub" option.
* Added "Don't download files already in the queue" option.
* Removed "Ignore private messages from offline users" option.
* Removed "Only results with TTH root" option.
* Lots of other bug fixes to get the core to compile on *nix.

LinuxDC++ now requires OpenSSL in order to compile:

sudo apt-get install libssl-dev
You may have to run scons --clean and/or delete the "build/" directory in order to get this update to compile.

Georadu
December 4th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Can someone provide me the sources for version 0.689. I have installed the latest linuxdcpp and only after I have checked my network to see what clients they use, and most of them don't have TTH. Now I can't download form them so untill they upgrade I have to use old dc++ too.
If you have the sources for that version please send me a private message and I'll give you my e-mail address.
Thank you

NeoChaosX
December 9th, 2006, 03:42 AM
So Steven, is there a page on the LDCPP site that gives an indication of how much needs to be done until an official release? I'm enjoying this program immensely (for the most part, it's superior to Valknut), but I'd love to have a release so I don't have keep hitting up CVS every week or so.

stevensheehy
December 9th, 2006, 05:52 PM
So Steven, is there a page on the LDCPP site that gives an indication of how much needs to be done until an official release? I'm enjoying this program immensely (for the most part, it's superior to Valknut), but I'd love to have a release so I don't have keep hitting up CVS every week or so.

* Fix download queue
* Add translations
* Fix character encodings
* Other small fixes

jocko
December 9th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I have a problem that started a few days ago after updating to the latest cvs build. When I try to download files, they start to download, but I get disconnected after a few seconds (disconnected from the user, not from the hub).

Does anyone recognize this problem?
Any known fixes?
Is there any way to downgrade to an earlier version to see if that would help?

Edit: I found the solution myself... Managed to downgrade by "cvs update -D 20061101". Then I got error messages instead of "disconnected", turned out my disk was full:). Deleted some files and got it working. I'm stupid.

dutchmega
December 9th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I'm waiting for multisource-downloading-support. Without it, downloading just goes too slow. There are enough ports in Windows that support this...

wilberfan
December 9th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks for this invaluable guide! (I'm running the latest build now...) However, I've got near 100% CPU while running (I saw the comment about NOT sorting the user list--but I have no idea how to turn that off...)

Plus, my nick is blue--which confuses me a little... I've got my ports forwarded, etc...

stevensheehy
December 10th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Thanks for this invaluable guide! (I'm running the latest build now...) However, I've got near 100% CPU while running (I saw the comment about NOT sorting the user list--but I have no idea how to turn that off...)

Plus, my nick is blue--which confuses me a little... I've got my ports forwarded, etc...

100% cpu usage occurs when loading very large hubs. We're trying to come up with a solution (patches welcome).

Blue icon means you're a DC++ user, green non-DC++ user. Firewall in front of either are passive users.

stevensheehy
December 10th, 2006, 06:03 AM
I'm waiting for multisource-downloading-support. Without it, downloading just goes too slow. There are enough ports in Windows that support this...

http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=Ldcpp_FAQ

dutchmega
December 13th, 2006, 06:32 PM
http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=Ldcpp_FAQ
Yes, I saw that but considering it's all open-source, I hoped there would be a port. :(

Tine
December 19th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I know that nmdc-style file listing support is removed from dc++ but can someone make a patch or something so i can compile dc++ with that old filelist support included.
I would appreciate that, because in our lan-hub(the one and only hub i can use) there are several users with these 0.401 version and there is now way on earth i can convince them all to upgrade.

-Tine

stokedfish
January 3rd, 2007, 10:38 PM
Is the linuxdc++ page down? Why? What happened? :(

stoft
January 4th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Is the linuxdc++ page down? Why? What happened? :(

Quick guess, Berlios.de is down, not just linuxdc++.

stevensheehy
January 4th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Quick guess, Berlios.de is down, not just linuxdc++.

Exactly. We may have to switch soon if this keeps up.

You can access the cvs and the mailing list (https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/linuxdcpp-developers/) still.

stokedfish
January 11th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Soo...what's up with berlios? :-?

stokedfish
January 13th, 2007, 09:23 AM
:(

stokedfish
January 14th, 2007, 10:46 AM
It's back! :)

gav616
January 16th, 2007, 07:36 PM
is there any recomended settings?
is dropping ok to use.?..

stokedfish
January 17th, 2007, 04:31 PM
steven, 3 questions:

1. why don't you work together with the guys who try to port apexdc to linux?

joined forces could speed up things, no? uhm...

2. why do right-click commands not work?

I enabled the "accept commands" option and I also get a message...

freshstuff - http://lawmaker.no-ip.org/forum/forum.php?id=11 - sends me like 175 right-click commands when I connect to our hub, but then, when I right-click on the user "fresh" (the bot) no menu appears...on windows dc++ this works just fine!

3. will the remaining right-click menus ever be implemented?

(dc++ on windows has way more options when you right-click on something)

stevensheehy
January 19th, 2007, 03:33 AM
steven, 3 questions:

1. why don't you work together with the guys who try to port apexdc to linux?

joined forces could speed up things, no? uhm...

We use the default DC++ core, not the StrongDC++ core. This factor will not change. Instead, the StrongDC++ guys should try to get their changes into the DC++ core.

2. why do right-click commands not work?

I enabled the "accept commands" option and I also get a message...

freshstuff - http://lawmaker.no-ip.org/forum/forum.php?id=11 - sends me like 175 right-click commands when I connect to our hub, but then, when I right-click on the user "fresh" (the bot) no menu appears...on windows dc++ this works just fine!

a) it's not implemented. b) I don't care about such a feature so someone else will have to send a patch.

3. will the remaining right-click menus ever be implemented?

(dc++ on windows has way more options when you right-click on something)

Only if they make sense. There is such a thing as feature creep (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_creep).

stokedfish
January 19th, 2007, 12:43 PM
tons of hubs use bots with right-click commands out there and you don't want to support them?

wtf dude...

so linuxdc++ will just be another poor and incomplete dc client for linux.

I thought we had enough of them already, no need for one more - guess I'll pass then...

sultanoswing
January 19th, 2007, 12:52 PM
A word of support, Stephen. Your port of DC++ is the best I've found fpr *nix (stokedfish, if you know of something better, I'm all ears).

Yes, it remains a work in progress, in particular I can't connect to older-cored clients in the 0.698 cored versions (a DC++ core bug/feature, I suspect), however, keep up the good work, fellas!

stevensheehy
January 20th, 2007, 05:54 AM
tons of hubs use bots with right-click commands out there and you don't want to support them?

wtf dude...

so linuxdc++ will just be another poor and incomplete dc client for linux.

I thought we had enough of them already, no need for one more - guess I'll pass then...

What part of "someone else will have to send a patch" do you not understand? I am not here to service your every need, I do this on my free time. I don't really know why I bothered answering such a rude person.

stokedfish
January 20th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Yeah, sorry. Yesterday definitely wasn't my day...didn't mean! :\

D!mon
January 22nd, 2007, 09:05 AM
sorry if this question is duplicated - have no time to read all pages;
Can I create .deb package somehow? Something like checkinstall with make?
Thx

stokedfish
January 22nd, 2007, 10:59 PM
Yes, it remains a work in progress, in particular I can't connect to older-cored clients in the 0.698 cored versions (a DC++ core bug/feature, I suspect), however, keep up the good work, fellas!
I just browsed a DC++ 0.691 user without a problem.

ovidescu
January 23rd, 2007, 10:59 PM
I just installed LinuxDC++ and I must say I am impressed. It looks as if I'm actually running DC++ win32 version. Great job stevensheehy and keep up the good work. =D>

stevensheehy
January 28th, 2007, 12:42 AM
I just installed LinuxDC++ and I must say I am impressed. It looks as if I'm actually running DC++ win32 version. Great job stevensheehy and keep up the good work. =D>

If you're impressed now, just wait until the next update. It'll be the best update ever, in my opinion. :)

Poka64
January 28th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Oh, great steven, the much anticipated Unicode update :)

stokedfish
January 30th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Hmm, what's Unicode good for? So far, whenever I tried sth connected to Unicode it didn't work...for instance, setting both nicotine and gaim to utf-8 gave me wrong ö, ä, ü and other umlauts. So what advantage will the "much anticipated" (?) Unicode update bring with it? Uhm... *wonders*

stevensheehy
January 31st, 2007, 03:58 AM
Hmm, what's Unicode good for? So far, whenever I tried sth connected to Unicode it didn't work...for instance, setting both nicotine and gaim to utf-8 gave me wrong ö, ä, ü and other umlauts. So what advantage will the "much anticipated" (?) Unicode update bring with it? Uhm... *wonders*

I would answer your question, but you've already proven previously you don't deserve to be answered.

Enigmatic
February 3rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
Is anyone else having trouble with hublists? It will download and say the download is finished, but nothing ever appears in the window.

ovidescu
February 3rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
Is anyone else having trouble with hublists? It will download and say the download is finished, but nothing ever appears in the window.

My installation works just fine, hublists and all...

Enigmatic
February 4th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Strange. I didn't install from this thread but the older thread, but I should still end up with the same thing as the packages have been updated since then.

Jellyffs
February 4th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Many hublist are down. Try that one:

http://dchublist.com/hublist.xml.bz2

Alex.

Enigmatic
February 4th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Nice, that one worked.

janfsd
February 5th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Hi, thanks for the work you are making...
I've got a question, how does "/away" work? Is it not supposed to auto answer anybody that writes me a pm? Nothing like this happens, so I am wondering if it is like this that it should work.

NeoChaosX
February 6th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Yesterday's update = good job Steven.

* Fix download queue
* Add translations
* Fix character encodings
* Other small fixes

So, that's item #3 down. Dunno about #1 (although the latest changelog mentions at least one fix for the queue), so I'm guessing most of the work left is translation?

stevensheehy
February 6th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Yesterday's update = good job Steven.

So, that's item #3 down. Dunno about #1 (although the latest changelog mentions at least one fix for the queue), so I'm guessing most of the work left is translation?

Everything is done except translations and any new bugs that might pop up between now and a release.

stevensheehy
February 6th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Hi, thanks for the work you are making...
I've got a question, how does "/away" work? Is it not supposed to auto answer anybody that writes me a pm? Nothing like this happens, so I am wondering if it is like this that it should work.

It doesn't auto-respond. It should in pm, but it hasn't been implemented yet.

janfsd
February 6th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks for answering Steven, that answered my doubts. By the way, great release!

gholen
February 7th, 2007, 03:57 AM
The HOWTO is really good, but I'm having one bg problem. The pakage "scons" does not exist anymore. What should I do?

NeoChaosX
February 7th, 2007, 07:02 PM
The HOWTO is really good, but I'm having one bg problem. The pakage "scons" does not exist anymore. What should I do?

It's in main for all Ubuntu distros. Are you sure you have it installed?

platinummonkey
February 11th, 2007, 04:13 AM
um, im not sure if anyone else has had this problem but whenever i try to launch ldcpp it always just runs taking up all my swap and ram until they almost reach 100% but i always kill the process before that happens... x.x I just recently upgraded to edgy with a fresh install, and i also have beryl running. I used to have ldcpp on dapper that worked great :P, but i cant seem to get it to work anymore on edgy. Ive followed the instructions exactly, and ive definetly made sure i have the necessary packages, but it nevers works x.x

any help would be much appreciated,
platinummonkey

maloki
February 13th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Switched from widows to Linux some time ago, and i got to say this is definitely a worthy replacement for DC++.

I salute you for your work.

Jellyffs
February 14th, 2007, 01:13 AM
@platinummonkey

Submit this issue on IRC: #linuxdcpp on freenode channel. It will be easier to sort out the pb for the developers.

Alex.

stevensheehy
February 14th, 2007, 04:39 AM
@platinummonkey

Submit this issue on IRC: #linuxdcpp on freenode channel. It will be easier to sort out the pb for the developers.

Alex.

Actually it's #linuxdc++. But anyways, I'm a developer and have no idea why he has those issues. Might try seeing if it does it when using metacity instead of beryl. I also saw this problem before when Assistive Technology Support was enabled on Edgy, but I don't see where Dapper has ATS so... Might also want to try starting ldcpp with a new profile (~/.dc++).

Hero_boy
February 24th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Thank you stevensheehy!

I was previously struggling along with Valknut. It would install correctly, hash files OK & connect to servers fine - but after a short while of my downloads running they would all just stop.

Furthermore users trying to connect to me would receive the error "DC Client does not fully support TTH" - I don't even know what that is!

Anyway I found your thread and followed it step by step. The program deployed correctly & works great, it's also more ascetically pleasing to the eye.

Cheers :)

4tro
February 24th, 2007, 02:45 PM
i'm having a weird issue starting LinuxDCPP.
every time i start ldcpp a terminal starts and when i close it my linuxdcpp will close as well, though i expected ldcpp to stop when i close that terminal, it shouldn't show up in the first place in my opinion, just updated the source a few minutes ago.

stokedfish
March 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Any help with translations needed? German? Uhm...

gav616
March 16th, 2007, 03:34 PM
whats happening about adc?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Connect_(file_sharing)#Protocol

stevensheehy
March 17th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Any help with translations needed? German? Uhm...

Yes, we will definitely need help. Unfortunately, I'm still trying to add translation support to the code. The dcpp core is a major source of headache since it will not work with gettext without major modifications. I will post to ldcpp's mailing list asking for translations when it is ready.

whats happening about adc?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_...ring)#Protocol

ADC is implemented and fully working in DC++ (and thus LinuxDC++). There's only a handful of actual hubs that run ADC, though (check out the ADC specific public hub list).

obbe
March 17th, 2007, 08:48 PM
hi guys, I use the last version of linuxdc++ but i've a problem.. many users can't download a few of my files, the upload-bar stand to Connecting and upload doesn't start, i've open all dc++ ports on firewall and try to use the passive mode but nothing happen; i've noticed that the same users can download only a few of my files but not others.. anyone have this problem?

naseem
March 22nd, 2007, 11:51 AM
hy I'm on feisty cannot find this AST (my menu is in italian, but nothing even similar to that) where should I loock for it, and what happens when I swich it of (just in case I'll find it)

ok found it where it was supposed to be

stoft
April 11th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I was playing around with python the other night and I ended up writing a share checker/searcher script (for checking/searching your own share), anyone have an idea where I could possibly publish it? (some forum, wiki or something for example) In case someone else might like to use it as well?

Steve and the others, thanks for the great work, keep it up!

stevensheehy
April 13th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I was playing around with python the other night and I ended up writing a share checker/searcher script (for checking/searching your own share), anyone have an idea where I could possibly publish it? (some forum, wiki or something for example) In case someone else might like to use it as well?

Steve and the others, thanks for the great work, keep it up!

You can send it to our mailing list, if you'd like (the list allows sending without having to register first). You can also post it here in this thread (in a code iframe).

stoft
April 14th, 2007, 02:05 AM
You can send it to our mailing list, if you'd like (the list allows sending without having to register first). You can also post it here in this thread (in a code iframe).

By the list you mean the developer's list accessible through berlios?

Constructive criticism greatly appreciated. This code is probably not very pythonesque (nor efficient) but it was fun fiddling with. The script either traverses the sharelist xml or the filesystem (for historical reasons mostly, using 'find'). Save to e.g. sharecheck.py and run: ./sharecheck.py --help

#!/usr/bin/python

# Copyright (C) 2007 Rasmus Larsson
#
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.
#
# Read the full license agreement here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt

import os, sys, getopt, bz2, fnmatch
from xml.dom import minidom

DEFSEARCHSTRS = ['Descript.ion','thumbs.db','*.html','*.htm','*.msg ','*.permissions','*.pls','*.status','*.url','*.fi lled','*.debug','*.ccd','*.ioFTPD*','*.banana','*. bad','*.checked','*.raidenftpd.acl','*.SimSfvChk.l og','*.message','*.upChk.log','*.crc','imdb.nfo',' *.bc!','*(1).nfo','*(2).nfo','*(3).nfo','*.log','* .pls','*.dctmp','*(1).sfv','*.ini','*.bak','*(2).s fv','*.dt!','*.bat','*.ink','*missing','*.antifrag ']

#DEFSEARCHSTRS= ['*.srt','*.sub','*.idx'] #removed
DEFSOURCE="bz2"
DCCONFFILE='~/.dc++/DCPlusPlus.xml'
DCSHAREFILE='~/.dc++/files.xml.bz2'

class DCFileHandler:
""" Opens the DC++ config file and share list file. """
def __init__(self, configfile='~/.dc++/DCPlusPlus.xml', sharelistfile='~/.dc++/files.xml.bz2'):
"""
configfile -- location and name of configfile relative to the userdirectory, default is ~/.dc++/DCPlusPlus.xml
sharelistfile -- location and name of the sharelistfile relative to the userdirectory, default is ~/.dc++/files.xml.bz2
"""
self.xmldirlist = self.extractShareDirectories(configfile)
self.xmlsharelist = self.extractSharelist(sharelistfile)

def expandUserDir(self, string):
if(string[0]=='~'): return os.path.expanduser(string)
else: return string

def extractShareDirectories(self, configfile):
"""Extract the share directories from DCPlusPlus.xml"""
try:
fsock_conf = file(self.expandUserDir(configfile))
xmldoc = minidom.parse(fsock_conf)
fsock_conf.close()
return xmldoc
except IOError:
print IOError
sys.exit(2)

def extractSharelist(self, sharelistfile):
try:
fsock_share = bz2.BZ2File(self.expandUserDir(sharelistfile))
xmlsharelist = minidom.parse(fsock_share)
fsock_share.close()
return xmlsharelist
except IOError:
print IOError
sys.exit(2)

class DCAnalyzer:
def __init__(self, dcfh):
self.dcfilehandler = dcfh
self.createDirMap()

def lookupShareDirPath(self, dirname):
"""Lookup the complete path (dir included) of a directory."""
return self.dirmap[dirname]

def createDirMap(self):
sharedirlist = self.dcfilehandler.xmldirlist.getElementsByTagName ('Share') #parametrize?
firstref = sharedirlist[0]
dirlist = firstref.getElementsByTagName('Directory') #parametrize?
self.dirmap = {}
for dir in dirlist:
self.dirmap[ dir.attributes['Virtual'].value ] = dir.firstChild.data

def search(self, searchstrings, source="bz2"):
"""
searchstrings -- list of search strings to look for
source -- where to look for the files, in the share list ("bz2", default) or in the file system ("fs")
"""
if(source == "bz2"):
return self.searchbz2(searchstrings)
elif(source == "fs"):
return self.searchfs(searchstrings)
else:
raise Error, source + " is an unknown source"

def searchfs(self, searchstrings):
""" Search the share directories (using unix 'find') for files matchin search strings.
searchstrings -- list of search strings
"""
print "Searching filesystem...\n\n"
print 'Search strings are: '
print searchstrings

print 'Share directories are:'
for key in self.dirmap:
#print var.firstChild.data
print self.dirmap[key]
print "\n"

files=[]
for key in self.dirmap:
for str in searchstrings:
cmd = 'find ' + self.dirmap[key] + ' -name \'' + str + '\' -print'
o = os.popen(cmd)
foo = o.read()
if ( len(foo) > 0 ):
files.append(foo)
return files

def searchbz2(self, searchstrings):
print "Searching sharelist...\n\n"
files=[]
foundElements=[]
filelist = self.dcfilehandler.xmlsharelist.getElementsByTagNa me('File') #parametrize?
for elementFile in filelist:
for pattern in searchstrings:
filename = elementFile.attributes['Name'].value
if (fnmatch.fnmatch(filename,pattern)):
foundElements.append(elementFile)

for element in foundElements:
pnames=[]
parents = self.recurseParents(element.parentNode, 'Directory') #parametrize?
for pelement in parents:
pnames.append(pelement.attributes['Name'].value)

path = self.lookupShareDirPath(pnames.pop(0))
for pname in pnames:
path += pname + "/"
path += element.attributes['Name'].value
files.append( path )

return files

def recurseParents(self, parent, name):
"""Recurses the parent and all its parents having 'name' and returns a list of them."""
list=[]
if (parent.parentNode is not None
and parent.parentNode.nodeName == name):
list.extend(self.recurseParents(parent.parentNode, name))
list.append(parent)
return list

def getArgs():
"""Gets the input arguments if there are any."""
myArgs={}
searchstrings = []
configfile=None
sharelistfile=None
source=None
try:
opts, args = getopt.getopt(sys.argv[1:], "he:f:s:", ["help","pattern=","configfile=","sharelistfile="])
except getopt.GetoptError:
usage()
exit(2)
for opt, arg in opts:
if opt in ("-h", "--help"):
usage()
sys.exit(2)
elif opt in ("-e", "--pattern"):
searchstrings.append(arg)
elif opt in ("-c", "--configfile"):
configfile=arg
elif opt in ("-f","--sharelistfile"):
sharelistfile=arg
elif opt in ("-s","--source"):
source=arg

if(len(searchstrings) == 0):
searchstrings = None
myArgs["sharelistfile"]=sharelistfile
myArgs["configfile"]=configfile
myArgs["searchstrings"]=searchstrings
myArgs["source"]=source
return myArgs

def usage():
"""Prints the correct usage of the program"""
print "This program searches your linuxdc++ share for files with specified search pattern.\
\nIt may work on windows as well, but I haven't tried."
print "Usage:\tsharecheck.py [-h|-e PATTERN*|-c FILEPATH|-f FILEPATH|-s SOURCE] -e\n\t-h, --help shows this help \
\n\t-e, --pattern=[PATTERN] use PATTERN as search expression \
\n\t-c, --configfile=[FILEPATH] use FILEPATH file as DC++ config file, default is ~/.dc++/DCPlusPlus.xml \
\n\t-f, --sharelist=[FILEPATH] use FILEPATH file as DC++ sharelist file, default is ~/.dc++/files.xml.bz2 \
\n\t-s, --source=[SOURCE] look in SOURCE ('bz2'|'fs') (sharelist or filesystem) for files, default is bz2\
\n\nNotes: \
\n\t- Search is performed using fnmatch syntax. 'man fnmatch' for details.\
\n\t- more than one search pattern is permitted.\
\n\nExample: \
\n\t./sharecheck.py -e imdb.* -e Thumbs* -s fs\n\n "

def run():
myArgs = getArgs()
searchstrings = DEFSEARCHSTRS
configfile = DCCONFFILE
sharelistfile = DCSHAREFILE
source = DEFSOURCE
if(myArgs["searchstrings"] is not None):
searchstrings = myArgs["searchstrings"]
if(myArgs["configfile"] is not None):
configfile = myArgs["configfile"]
if(myArgs["sharelistfile"] is not None):
sharelistfile = myArgs["sharelistfile"]
if(myArgs["source"] is not None):
source = myArgs["source"]
dcfh = DCFileHandler(configfile, sharelistfile)
dca = DCAnalyzer(dcfh)
list = dca.search(searchstrings, source)
for l in list:
print l

run()

mrmodin
April 15th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Really good job there, thanks alot =)

stokedfish
April 25th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Will there ever be a core/gui seperation in linuxdcpp?

It's the thing I miss the most...

Museek has it - http://museek-plus.org/ - but that's a slsk client...

I can ssh into my server, start museekd (the core) in a screen session (without x) and detach it, end my ssh session and the core will keep on running. It's genius! When I want to search files or chat I just connect to the core on my notebook with the QT, GTK or ncurses GUI.

That's why my slsk is on almost 24/7 but I rarely ever use LinuxDC++ anymore.

Soo...any chance that there will be a core/gui seperation any time soon?

Znupi
April 25th, 2007, 09:28 PM
On the first command (sudo apt-get install cvs scons build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libglade2-dev zlib1g-dev libbz2-dev libssl-dev) it says it has to download 92.7MB to my harddisk. Is that normal? I'm a valknut user and it only uses like 12MBs, but I don't quite like it and LinuxDC++ sounds much better... but 92.7MB seems a bit high...

stoft
April 26th, 2007, 01:55 AM
On the first command (sudo apt-get install cvs scons build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libglade2-dev zlib1g-dev libbz2-dev libssl-dev) it says it has to download 92.7MB to my harddisk. Is that normal? I'm a valknut user and it only uses like 12MBs, but I don't quite like it and LinuxDC++ sounds much better... but 92.7MB seems a bit high...

Those are not linuxdc++, but other libraries linuxdc++ uses (build environment, header files and so forth) and probably contain a whole lot more than just what is used by linuxdc++. I'm not sure how big they are together but it doesn't sound way off with ~90MB. The source files for linuxdc++ itself are around 11MB in total.

Bapman
April 28th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Hi,

I am a user of linuxdcpp and it works great for me ! But I have some little problems :
- the icon in the task bar is not transparent (there is a white frame on it whereas the .png is really transparent)
- the number of search results seems to be limited (around 60-70) but it seems to be wanted by the protocol : I am the admin of the hub (ptokax) but I don't see any option to change it.
- the search engine does not work very well with accents (I am french) : when you search for "vidéo", it should be able to return files with a name containing "video" !

Again, thanks for all the work done here !

stevensheehy
April 28th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Will there ever be a core/gui seperation in linuxdcpp?

http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=Ldcpp_Todo
See 6th bullet down. Gonna be awhile, though.

It's only because you're compiling from source and don't already have the compiler tools and other libraries. You need most of these anyway if you're every going to compile anything else on Ubuntu.

The source files for linuxdc++ itself are around 11MB in total.

The source is 2.3 MB. ~340KB if compressed.

stevensheehy
April 28th, 2007, 07:13 PM
- the icon in the task bar is not transparent (there is a white frame on it whereas the .png is really transparent)

The task bar icon shows up fine for me. If it doesn't show transparent for you, it is an issue with either your system. If, however, you mean the system/task tray instead of the task bar, then that is a known problem.

- the number of search results seems to be limited (around 60-70) but it seems to be wanted by the protocol : I am the admin of the hub (ptokax) but I don't see any option to change it.

There is no such limit in linuxdcpp, the problem lies elsewhere.

- the search engine does not work very well with accents (I am french) : when you search for "vidéo", it should be able to return files with a name containing "video" !

Make sure you have the encoding set properly. The NMDC protocol does not specify a text encoding, so you have to manually set it yourself. Go into Preferences and change your "Default Hub Encoding". You can also change it per-hub on the favorite hubs tab.

stevensheehy
April 28th, 2007, 07:18 PM
By the way, I need someone to test if this guide works on Feisty. I'm probably not going to be upgrading for awhile (if at all), so I need someone else to test. Thanks.

janfsd
April 28th, 2007, 10:00 PM
By the way, I need someone to test if this guide works on Feisty. I'm probably not going to be upgrading for awhile (if at all), so I need someone else to test. Thanks.

It worked for me in Feisty.

Bapman
April 29th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Thanks a lot Stevensheehy for your answers ! And yes, I meant the system/task tray in fact for the icon problem (it's where gaim or the sound volume is docked for example).
And like janfsd, it works great for me under feisty ! No need to update the how-to :D

darkdays
May 2nd, 2007, 12:56 AM
Thank you! Followed the guide and it was all smooth sailing. No issues at all with the app so far.

Znupi
May 2nd, 2007, 11:19 AM
Same here, everything's smooth, was worried about download time but it seems Linux connects to some server from my country (Romania) from which it downloaded the files needed pretty quick (under 1 min?) (i'm talking about the first set of packages, needed to build LinuxDC++)... Linux just keeps amazing me...

sssbbb
May 7th, 2007, 05:16 PM
thanks a lot for the howto! up and running with no problems.

ovidescu
May 11th, 2007, 10:25 PM

Hi

I had linuxDC++ v0.698 installed back when I was on edgy. I recently updated to feisty and I can still use linuxdcpp same way as in edgy. So once again, good work Steven.

BTW, is there a more recent version and if so, how can I update ?

stevensheehy
May 12th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Hi

I had linuxDC++ v0.698 installed back when I was on edgy. I recently updated to feisty and I can still use linuxdcpp same way as in edgy. So once again, good work Steven.

BTW, is there a more recent version and if so, how can I update ?

0.698 is the version of the dc++ core, not linuxdc++. We have yet to make a release, so we're going by cvs date at the moment. Check your Changelog.txt to see if it is older than the newest date in the changelog linked at http://linuxdcpp.berlios.de/articles.php?um=index. If it is, follow the update instructions on the first page of this howto. cheers

dngpng
May 14th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I installed it on a friends laptop and I found out the installation script didn't create /usr/local/share/linuxdcpp, which caused a segment fault when launching the app from a location other than the source dir. (From the error message, I noticed it tried to use files in the dir. mentioned above)

Then I update my installation and did a scons -c install, and all the stuff under /usr/local/share/linuxdcpp/pixmaps and /usr/local/share/linuxdcpp/glade/ were automatically deleted. Then I ran into the same problem. I had to link those file from the source dir. to make it work again.

Don't know if it's a bug or what.

jlbiasini
May 15th, 2007, 12:20 PM
It works fine but only if I launch it as root (or sudo) ... Is it dangerous to do so ?

stevensheehy
May 15th, 2007, 05:19 PM
It works fine but only if I launch it as root (or sudo) ... Is it dangerous to do so ?

Do not launch linuxdcpp as root, it is not tested for such escalated privileges. You must not have followed the instructions on the howto exactly. I would guess that you ran both scons and scons install with sudo. You should only run scons install as root.

stevensheehy
May 15th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I installed it on a friends laptop and I found out the installation script didn't create /usr/local/share/linuxdcpp, which caused a segment fault when launching the app from a location other than the source dir. (From the error message, I noticed it tried to use files in the dir. mentioned above)

Then I update my installation and did a scons -c install, and all the stuff under /usr/local/share/linuxdcpp/pixmaps and /usr/local/share/linuxdcpp/glade/ were automatically deleted. Then I ran into the same problem. I had to link those file from the source dir. to make it work again.

Don't know if it's a bug or what.

Sounds like you also didn't follow the howto exactly. You run scons to compile and link it, then sudo scons install to copy the executable, pixmaps and glade files to /usr/local/. You have to have root access in order to create /usr/local/share/linuxdcpp and add files to it, hence the sudo.

jlbiasini
May 16th, 2007, 03:26 PM
That's wright ! I had made both "scons" and "scons install" as root

but I just made a new install of linuxdcpp with only "scons install" as root and that's the same : it works only if launch as root (even "sudo linuxdcpp" don't works

It hang just after connection scaning of the network. Here are the output from console :

(linuxdcpp:15558): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_emit_insert: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed

(linuxdcpp:15558): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_emit_insert: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed

(linuxdcpp:15558): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

** ERROR **: file gailtreeview.c: line 3723 (traverse_cells): assertion failed: (row_path != NULL)

dngpng
May 16th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Sounds like you also didn't follow the howto exactly. You run scons to compile and link it, then sudo scons install to copy the executable, pixmaps and glade files to /usr/local/. You have to have root access in order to create /usr/local/share/linuxdcpp and add files to it, hence the sudo.

Thanks for the reply and very sorry for omitting the tiny but important "sudo" ;)

stevensheehy
May 17th, 2007, 05:07 AM
That's wright ! I had made both "scons" and "scons install" as root

but I just made a new install of linuxdcpp with only "scons install" as root and that's the same : it works only if launch as root (even "sudo linuxdcpp" don't works

It hang just after connection scaning of the network. Here are the output from console :

(linuxdcpp:15558): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

** ERROR **: file gailtreeview.c: line 3723 (traverse_cells): assertion failed: (row_path != NULL)

Try installing again one more time, but delete all your previous installed files ("scons -c" and "sudo scons -c install", but doublecheck the files just to confirm they are gone from your prefix).

What worries me is that last error about the gailtreeview. I've seen other people complain about it before and I am not entirely sure what causes it. See http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=11002&group_id=2230 for the latest complaint about it and my response.

stevensheehy
May 17th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the reply and very sorry for omitting the tiny but important "sudo" ;)

No worries. We all make mistakes.

jlbiasini
May 17th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Thanls for your help ! :)

unfortunatly it still don't works. I've just réinstall everything and also deleted all linuxdcpp folder but it don't works. When connecting as root the scan for other user and their sharing files is nearly immediate, when running the program as user it takes 10 seconds more to catch the informations and finally hang at the end of it:

(linuxdcpp:8914): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

(linuxdcpp:8914): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

aborting...
Abandon (core dumped)

jlbiasini
May 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Ok shame on me ... I just forget to put AST off
actually I've done it but it need a reboot to occurs

thank you so much :)

prosamantha
May 22nd, 2007, 04:30 PM
and if that one wont work then try the www.hublist.co.uk one
public hublist address
For DC++ clients newer than 0.4033 use
http://www.hublist.co.uk/hublist.xml.bz2

For older DC client
http://www.hublist.co.uk/hublist.config.bz2

fridaythe14th
May 25th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Thanks for a great port Steven. It has improved greatly since you got involved.

When in port forward mode I can't search. Starting linuxdcpp from the terminal I get these lines:

Thrown: SocketException: Permission denied
Bind failed, retrying with INADDR_ANY: SocketException: Permission denied
StartSocket (tcp): Caught "SocketException: Permission denied"
Bind failed, retrying with INADDR_ANY: SocketException: Permission denied
StartSocket (udp): Caught "SocketException: Permission denied"

If I start linuxdcpp as root it works. I followed the instructions (apart from adding the debug flag) and only used sudo for the last step.

Jellyffs
May 26th, 2007, 12:25 AM
GetDeb has released a .deb:

http://www.getdeb.net/app.php?name=Linux+DC%2B%2B

stevensheehy
May 26th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Thanks for a great port Steven. It has improved greatly since you got involved.

When in port forward mode I can't search. Starting linuxdcpp from the terminal I get these lines:

If I start linuxdcpp as root it works. I followed the instructions (apart from adding the debug flag) and only used sudo for the last step.

You're probably using a reserved port. Linux treats ports 0-1023 as reserved and require root access in order to modify. Set the ports you're using to > 1023 in the preferences.

fridaythe14th
May 26th, 2007, 01:25 AM
You're probably using a reserved port. Linux treats ports 0-1023 as reserved and require root access in order to modify. Set the ports you're using to > 1023 in the preferences.
You're right. Thanks for the fast reply :)

pinknyunyu
June 1st, 2007, 04:47 PM
I tried the other threads with instructions on how to install linuxdc++, even tried dc++ on wine, but only this thread resulted in a linuxdcpp that actually works...sort of. my files were hashed correctly, I can connect to hubs, but I can't search.

In preferences, when I go to the Connection tab, both of the ports listed, TCP and UDP are greater than 1023.

And I get this in terminal.

(linuxdcpp:27138): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

(linuxdcpp:27138): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_emit_insert: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed

(linuxdcpp:27138): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 1 char 17: Invalid UTF-8 encoded text

(linuxdcpp:27138): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_emit_insert: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed

(linuxdcpp:27138): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

I know the other previous posts were about this, but the ports are greater than 1023...

I'm completely new to linux, so be gentle :)

schade
June 2nd, 2007, 03:14 PM
If you are getting this error: "Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_emit_insert: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)' failed", just before you start download, make sure that you are NOT trying to save downloaded data to NTFS partition. And also that you are NOT sharing any data stored on NTFS partitions.

pinknyunyu
June 2nd, 2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the tip, but I don't even get up to that point, because I can't search and therefore I can't download anything. Plus, I checked and it's not set to save to that part...

stevensheehy
June 3rd, 2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the tip, but I don't even get up to that point, because I can't search and therefore I can't download anything. Plus, I checked and it's not set to save to that part...

That utf8 validate error usually just means that it couldn't convert some text. You can try adjusting the charset of the hub to reduce those, but it's normal to see some of those errors even with the correct hub charset.

As far as not being able to search, try setting to passive or configuring it properly for active by reading some guides.

pinknyunyu
June 4th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks! I changed my connection type to passive and now itś working fine. :)

olmari
June 6th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Current version doesn't seem to work too well... I need just to connect to some hub and LinuxDC++ starts to eat up memory and CPU... I closed it at 500megabytes, which took only like minute to get there, wnd I didn't even relaly done anythign yet.

stokedfish
June 6th, 2007, 08:35 PM
ubuntu feisty, svn compiled 4 hours ago.

I get almost no hits in search. ports are forwarded and dyndns is enabled and works well. I get 16 hits for a band...but should get at least 150 hits according to others. another guy on the hub uses linuxdc++ as well and says his version is about 2 months old and it works well for him.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3.7M 2007-03-24 11:59 /usr/local/bin/linuxdcpp

that's when he checked out...

hub is running verlihub 0.9.8.d custom modded.

also, when I do a search for whatever band I get xx hits. then I cancel the search and search for the same band again...and get 0 hits. then I press reconnect and it reconnects me to the hub...and says connected...and shows me as the only user in the userlist. no iptables, no firewall, forwarded ports.

I'm browsable and I can upload. weird...

what could this be?

olmari
June 6th, 2007, 08:38 PM
PLease check your CPU and memoryusage too, I am having also those side-effects on my problem...

stokedfish
June 6th, 2007, 10:45 PM
PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
8740 fish 17 1 143m 29m 16m S 2.3 6.1 3:46.02 linuxdcpp

Naw, no problem on that...but search is ****** up.

stevensheehy
June 7th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Current version doesn't seem to work too well... I need just to connect to some hub and LinuxDC++ starts to eat up memory and CPU... I closed it at 500megabytes, which took only like minute to get there, wnd I didn't even relaly done anythign yet.

Are you sure you're not trying to hash a large amount of data at the same time? Hashing is a cpu and memory intensive process. Try starting with a new profile to see if it fixes the problem.

olmari
June 7th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Are you sure you're not trying to hash a large amount of data at the same time? Hashing is a cpu and memory intensive process. Try starting with a new profile to see if it fixes the problem.

I am sure, have cleared my settings and rehashed again before doing anythign else... Problem persists. HAshing eats CPU ofcourse, but no memoryeat there and works snappy etc... but as soon as I even hit the "public hubs" button the memeating starts...

stevensheehy
June 8th, 2007, 01:21 AM
I am sure, have cleared my settings and rehashed again before doing anythign else... Problem persists. HAshing eats CPU ofcourse, but no memoryeat there and works snappy etc... but as soon as I even hit the "public hubs" button the memeating starts...

When you say current version, you mean changelog date of 2007-05-06, right? If not, try updating to the latest. If you do have the latest, try downgrading to the 2007-03-27 version to see if it has this problem (cvs update -D 2007-03-27).

hul
June 27th, 2007, 11:48 PM
I'm trying to install DC++, and I'm getting this message after running

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxdcpp.berlios.de:/cvsroot/linuxdcpp co linuxdcpp

cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot make directory linuxdcpp: Permission denied

What does this mean? I'm new to Ubuntu--is there some permissions I'm supposed to set somewhere that will allow me to run this command?

Thanks!

stevensheehy
June 28th, 2007, 02:44 AM
I'm trying to install DC++, and I'm getting this message after running

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.linuxdcpp.berlios.de:/cvsroot/linuxdcpp co linuxdcpp

cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot make directory linuxdcpp: Permission denied

What does this mean? I'm new to Ubuntu--is there some permissions I'm supposed to set somewhere that will allow me to run this command?

Thanks!

Run the cvs command in your home directory, where you have write permission. In a terminal type this command before running the cvs command to navigate to your home:

cd ~

sauvik
July 4th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I tried installing dc++ using this method. Everything worked fine, but when I run the linuxdcpp command, I get the following error :

root@necro:/home/sauvik/linuxdcpp# linuxdcpp
/root/.dc++/Certificates/client.key: No such file or directory
7569:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:bss_file.c:352:fopen('/root/.dc++/Certificates/client.key','w')
7569:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system lib:bss_file.c:354:
Error opening Private Key /root/.dc++/Certificates/client.key
7571:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:bss_file.c:352:fopen('/root/.dc++/Certificates/client.key','r')
7571:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system lib:bss_file.c:354:
unable to load Private Key
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

(linuxdcpp:7567): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Please help me out.
I am running Kubuntu 7.04. I know I should be posting in the Kubuntu forums, but I installed the program from here.
I am new to linux, with only very basic knowhow.

stoft
July 5th, 2007, 07:55 AM
I tried installing dc++ using this method. Everything worked fine, but when I run the linuxdcpp command, I get the following error :

root@necro:/home/sauvik/linuxdcpp# linuxdcpp
/root/.dc++/Certificates/client.key: No such file or directory
7569:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:bss_file.c:352:fopen('/root/.dc++/Certificates/client.key','w')
7569:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system lib:bss_file.c:354:
Error opening Private Key /root/.dc++/Certificates/client.key
7571:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:bss_file.c:352:fopen('/root/.dc++/Certificates/client.key','r')
7571:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system lib:bss_file.c:354:
unable to load Private Key
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

(linuxdcpp:7567): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Please help me out.
I am running Kubuntu 7.04. I know I should be posting in the Kubuntu forums, but I installed the program from here.
I am new to linux, with only very basic knowhow.

Quick guess, it looks like you are try to run linuxdcpp as root, but logged into KDE as your normal user which means root doesn't have a display so linuxdcpp can't display. Easiest solution would probably be running linuxdcpp as your normal user.

stokedfish
August 1st, 2007, 02:14 PM
Uhmm...so how far away is the final? *wonders*

olmari
August 8th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Okay update: After total hard disk formatting and leaving nothing behind, now the LinuxDC++ compiles and installs just fine and works on Feisty amd64 :)

piivanov82
August 19th, 2007, 03:33 PM
really useful HOW TO, thanks a lot

ramanan86
August 19th, 2007, 06:40 PM
works great..thank you so much for the how to...

Ek0nomik
August 21st, 2007, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the tutorial. :)

ManqueM
September 1st, 2007, 07:49 AM
Hi,
I'm quite a newbie when it comes to ubuntu , but I've downloaded the .dev installation file of linuxdcpp 0.0.1 for ubuntu and installed it correctly and it works very good. All downloading, uploading and hashing works fine, but I have one problem. I can't see the hub topics anywhere. Is that not implemented in the build yet, or is there some command I should write?

Also, I don't know if it is related, but some of the PMs from bots open up in empty chat windows where I can't see what they wrote to me...

I'm thankful for any help

Peace
/ManqueM

stevensheehy
September 4th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Hi,
I'm quite a newbie when it comes to ubuntu , but I've downloaded the .dev installation file of linuxdcpp 0.0.1 for ubuntu and installed it correctly and it works very good. All downloading, uploading and hashing works fine, but I have one problem. I can't see the hub topics anywhere. Is that not implemented in the build yet, or is there some command I should write?

Also, I don't know if it is related, but some of the PMs from bots open up in empty chat windows where I can't see what they wrote to me...

I'm thankful for any help

Peace
/ManqueM

You need to change the character encoding to match the hubs you are visiting. Try changing the default hub encoding in the preferences to CP1252, it's the most common encoding.

Depressed Man
September 5th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Hi, I have Linux DC++ installed and it connects to the hub. However, I cannot search for files unless I'm on passive. I am behind a router (which causes me similar problems on Windows with ApexDCD++) but I forwarded the ports as well as DMZed my computer (no firewall on router for this one).

But it still can't search on the regular settings. So I'm assuming IPtables is blocking it somehow (it works in Windows). So any idea?

4tro
September 5th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Hi, I have Linux DC++ installed and it connects to the hub. However, I cannot search for files unless I'm on passive. I am behind a router (which causes me similar problems on Windows with ApexDCD++) but I forwarded the ports as well as DMZed my computer (no firewall on router for this one).

But it still can't search on the regular settings. So I'm assuming IPtables is blocking it somehow (it works in Windows). So any idea?

Making a DMZ for your own computer is not needed, working with DMZ's is tricky business, check if your internal IP is the same as in windows

Depressed Man
September 5th, 2007, 03:02 PM
The internal IP is the same (I have it set to place the same IP for the MAC address). And I didn't DMZ the computer, I DMZed the firewall on the router for the IP for my desktop. So the router doesn't attempt to block any connections to my desktop (my desktop is also running a firewall).

stoft
September 6th, 2007, 01:01 AM

If I'm not mistaken search in active mode uses udp (iirc the port either right above/below tcp), have you taken that into account when setting your firewall rules etc.?

stevensheehy
September 6th, 2007, 02:32 AM
If I'm not mistaken search in active mode uses udp (iirc the port either right above/below tcp), have you taken that into account when setting your firewall rules etc.?

Well, you're half right. DC++ search does use UDP, but its port isn't right above/below TCP. They don't have to use different ports, they can use the same port if you so choose.

emeyer
September 6th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Regarding the ability for LinuxDC++ to accept and display hub-specific right-click commands, as DC++ for Windows does:

I don't care about such a feature so someone else will have to send a patch.

Has anyone created such a patch?

ManqueM
September 7th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I cant see the topics due to the character encodings. I've tried changing to UTF-8, CP1252 and ISO-8859-2, but I can't see the characters å, ä or ö... And if any message includes any of those characters, I recieve nothing at all.

For example, if someone writes: "Små hästar" to me, I would expect to recieve a message saying: "Sm? h?star", but I dont recieve any message at all. I recieve all messages that are not containing any of these characters perfectly.

And further if I write "Små hästar" in the chat window, I see the message displayed correctly on my screen, but everyone else sees the öäå replaced by two weird symbols each whom I can not even type =)

It is really annoying since I recieve important information through the hub topics. It would have been fine if I recieved the messages as "Sm? h?star" because I would have been able to figure the message out anyway, but the WHOLE message gets discarded...

Has anyone had the same problems? How do I deal with it? Are certain characters not compatible with the application?
Thanks
/ManqueM

gav616
September 11th, 2007, 01:12 AM
I cant see the topics due to the character encodings. I've tried changing to UTF-8, CP1252 and ISO-8859-2, but I can't see the characters å, ä or ö... And if any message includes any of those characters, I recieve nothing at all.

For example, if someone writes: "Små hästar" to me, I would expect to recieve a message saying: "Sm? h?star", but I dont recieve any message at all. I recieve all messages that are not containing any of these characters perfectly.

And further if I write "Små hästar" in the chat window, I see the message displayed correctly on my screen, but everyone else sees the öäå replaced by two weird symbols each whom I can not even type =)

It is really annoying since I recieve important information through the hub topics. It would have been fine if I recieved the messages as "Sm? h?star" because I would have been able to figure the message out anyway, but the WHOLE message gets discarded...

Has anyone had the same problems? How do I deal with it? Are certain characters not compatible with the application?
Thanks
/ManqueM

same problem..

older releases (month or two ago) its ok.

olmari
September 11th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Yeps... Seeing same here... also same with some times with file searches including those letters...

superdif
September 12th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Hi,
I just downloaded it and compiled without errors, but if I try to run it (both as normal user and root) I get the following error message:

GThread-ERROR **: file gthread-posix.c: line 140 (): error 'Function not implemented' during 'pthread_getschedparam (pthread_self(), &policy, &sched)'
aborting...
Aborted (core dumped)

Strangely I get the same problem by running aMule (I compiled that too without error so I guess it is a system-wide problem).

I have Kubuntu 7.04 (I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.22) on an Intel Core 2 Duo.

Any suggestion on how can I solve the problem (I tried to google around first, but without result).

4tro
September 13th, 2007, 06:37 AM
linuxDC++ made it into the gutsy repositories ^_^

on your problem, you could try to install/reinstall libglib-dev.
i don't know if that's the problem though.

oh and by the way, why upgrade your kernel to 2.6.22 and still stick with 7.04....
Upgrade all to gutsy then ;-)

Be sure to backup all important stuff though, as always =)

stevensheehy
September 15th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Regarding the ability for LinuxDC++ to accept and display hub-specific right-click commands, as DC++ for Windows does:

Has anyone created such a patch?

Yes (http://developer.berlios.de/patch/?func=detailpatch&patch_id=1891&group_id=2230), look for it sometime soon.

superdif
September 15th, 2007, 01:23 PM
linuxDC++ made it into the gutsy repositories ^_^

on your problem, you could try to install/reinstall libglib-dev.
i don't know if that's the problem though.

I tried to re-install libglib-dev, but without success.

(Un)fortunately I had other issues that forced me to reinstall Kubuntu and now I took the opportunity to install it directly from Adept (and it is working).

Thank anyway for the answer.

oh and by the way, why upgrade your kernel to 2.6.22 and still stick with 7.04.... Upgrade all to gutsy then ;-)
Be sure to backup all important stuff though, as always =)

As far as I understood 7.04 is the the latest stable release and Gutsy is the testing ground for the next release. Am I right?

I got the the 2.6.22 kernel just to upgrade it specifically, but for the rest of the system I would like to stick with the stable releases (unless I have specific reasons to upgrade specific packets). :)

4tro
September 15th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I tried to re-install libglib-dev, but without success.

(Un)fortunately I had other issues that forced me to reinstall Kubuntu and now I took the opportunity to install it directly from Adept (and it is working).

Thank anyway for the answer.

As far as I understood 7.04 is the the latest stable release and Gutsy is the testing ground for the next release. Am I right?

I got the the 2.6.22 kernel just to upgrade it specifically, but for the rest of the system I would like to stick with the stable releases (unless I have specific reasons to upgrade specific packets). :)

good reasoning ^_^
in another month gutsy is going to be unleashed to the unsuspecting world =)

superdif
September 15th, 2007, 11:38 PM
in another month gutsy is going to be unleashed to the unsuspecting world =)

Oh my good!!!! Oh my good!!!! I must warn the wor ............... who are those penguins in black that are approaching my house?!?!? :-#

4tro
September 16th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Oh my good!!!! Oh my good!!!! I must warn the wor ............... who are those penguins in black that are approaching my house?!?!? :-#

they are the "non-free software elimination squad" coming to clean the neighbourhood :twisted:
on a slightly more serious note: you know linuxDC++ doesn't compile on Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5? bwahahaha
(I must say I'm slightly unable to grasp the red hat versioning system)

texicle
September 20th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Ok, I'm having a heck of a time getting linuxdcpp out of passive mode. I've followed the instructions to a T, and all my ports are forwarded properly (or so I think) but nothing seems to take. To attempt to solve it, I flushed my iptables, ran firestarter to make sure no ports were being blocked, set up port forwarding (9176 -> 9176 for both UDP and TCP), and set my Ubuntu box on the DMZ for my router so it's not behind the firewall. I can't think of anything else. My WAN IP is dynamic, but my internal IPs are static.

I used Valknut on Slackware for the past few years with no router and I had no problem going active. I'd like the same for linuxdc++ as it seems to be as good or better than Valknut, but there is something that is preventing it. I think it must be in my router config, but I can't figure it out since the ports are forwarded properly and it's on the DMZ. The only thing I can think of is that it has to do with the dynamic vs. static IP addresses. I could be way off base here, but that's what it seems to be to me. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

stokedfish
September 21st, 2007, 11:34 AM
Use DynDNS! That should help...

stevensheehy
September 23rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
LinuxDC++ 1.0 has been released.

Read the release notes (ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/linuxdcpp/linuxdcpp-1.0.0-release_notes.txt).

muzzamo
September 24th, 2007, 08:45 AM
version 1.0.0 has just been released...

4tro
September 25th, 2007, 09:57 AM
does the cvs contain the current 1.0 version?
i see no updates since i last checked a week ago....

stevensheehy
September 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM
does the cvs contain the current 1.0 version?
i see no updates since i last checked a week ago....

August 04 cvs == linuxdc++ 1.0.0

Amazona aestiva
September 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Linux DC++ 1.0.0 in Debian package! (http://www.getdeb.net/app.php?name=Linux+DC%2B%2B)

stevensheehy
September 26th, 2007, 01:28 AM
By the way, LinuxDC++ has made its way into Gutsy (http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/net/linuxdcpp), although it's an older version.

I'm not sure who wrote that cheesy description though....

stokedfish
September 28th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Thank you for all your hard work. 1.0 is a great release. Thumbs up!

hundrambit
October 7th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Good day.

I have just visited LinuxDC++ website and downloaded "new" source, version 1.0.0. After compiling it I was trying to find the changes, like it says in release notes; user commands and magnet links. I don't see any changes. Then I open source code and compare it to a version I took from CVS about a month ago, I don't see any changes in source code either.

1.0.0 package was downloaded from here; ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/linuxdcpp/linuxdcpp-1.0.0.tar.bz2

Is this a joke or bad luck, or what ever it is?

Thank you.

olmari
October 7th, 2007, 02:53 PM
1.0.0 is exact same version than latest in CVS, and also if you read the release notes you'll see this:

You can look forward to many more things to
come in the near future including i18n support, user commands and magnet
support.

hundrambit
October 7th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Just realized that I'm totally blind. Thank you, and sorry for misunderstanding. :)

olmari
October 7th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Mm well, crap happends for all of us sometimes :)

pranshu
October 11th, 2007, 05:22 PM
hey i installed linuxdcpp but it still is not connecting...
i guess it is connecting but probably there is some incompatibility with linux in the hub... it is showing following message...

*** Connecting
*** Connected
*** Connect failed: Connection closed

pranshu
October 11th, 2007, 05:33 PM
also when i try to connect with password then i'm getting connected to hubs but the problem is with file list.... i' receiving this message...

(linuxdcpp:8761): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

and after some time i get this message...

(linuxdcpp:8761): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_emit_insert: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed

please help i'm desparately trying to keep myself on UBUNTU but every time i need to use dc++ i have to restart to windows... this is the only application that is keeping me on windows...

pranshu
October 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM
hey i just worked out and somehow managed to connect... but now the problem has changed... now i can easily get file lists and match queues and all but the problem is that the program crashes with the following message on the terminal....

(linuxdcpp:8409): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_emit_insert: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

now this is a real problem....

actually what i think the problem might be is that on the nick list lot of nicks are not ascii characters... and i'm assuming probably that's the reason this message is shown...

(linuxdcpp:8409): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

i'm a hardcore fan of dc++ and with dc++ being available on linux i'm really thrilled... please please help me solve this problem....

stevensheehy
October 12th, 2007, 06:49 PM
hey i just worked out and somehow managed to connect... but now the problem has changed... now i can easily get file lists and match queues and all but the problem is that the program crashes with the following message on the terminal....

(linuxdcpp:8409): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_emit_insert: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

now this is a real problem....

actually what i think the problem might be is that on the nick list lot of nicks are not ascii characters... and i'm assuming probably that's the reason this message is shown...

(linuxdcpp:8409): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

i'm a hardcore fan of dc++ and with dc++ being available on linux i'm really thrilled... please please help me solve this problem....

Those errors on the commandline are not necessarily what caused it to crash. They occur all the time and are generally just warnings. You need to look at the backtrace from the coredump to see why it really crashed. Read our manual in the wiki (mentioned in the first post) to see how to do this.

jak
October 18th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Its in Gutsy and it works fine.
sudo apt-get install linuxdcpp

Or should I have read the whole thread?

jocko
October 20th, 2007, 08:37 AM
stevensheehy:
I think there is something missing on the cvs server.
If I get a fresh copy from cvs and try to build and install according to your instructions, it immediately errors out:

scons: *** Error writing options to file: build/sconf/scache.conf
[Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'build/sconf/scache.conf'The reason for this is that there is no linuxdcpp/build/ directory (it's not on the cvs server either).
If I copy my build/ directory from a backup it all works fine.

I posted a temporary fix here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3577765#post3577765), in case anyone would run in to this problem before it is solved in a proper way.

Edit: An even better fix is of course to install the deb from getdeb.net (http://www.getdeb.net/app.php?name=Linux+DC%2B%2B). It's the same as the current cvs build.

stevensheehy
October 28th, 2007, 10:08 PM
stevensheehy:
I think there is something missing on the cvs server.
If I get a fresh copy from cvs and try to build and install according to your instructions, it immediately errors out:
The reason for this is that there is no linuxdcpp/build/ directory (it's not on the cvs server either).
If I copy my build/ directory from a backup it all works fine.

I posted a temporary fix here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3577765#post3577765), in case anyone would run in to this problem before it is solved in a proper way.

Edit: An even better fix is of course to install the deb from getdeb.net (http://www.getdeb.net/app.php?name=Linux+DC%2B%2B). It's the same as the current cvs build.

Well, it's not the same as CVS. GetDeb has binaries for the 1.0.0 release. Since that time there have been two CVS updates. Regardless, I recommend installing the 1.0.0 deb unless you need the bleeding edge features of CVS (and the defects that go along with them).

Your build dir issue has been fixed in the latest CVS.