PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome and Unity compatibility issue

wacky_sung
March 12th, 2012, 06:21 AM
I love to use gnome but it seem like unity does really has a big stability issue running it upon selection of gnome upon during the login. Often i require to configure in unity environment for my VPN in order for it to work on gnome environment, plus some other softwares as well. I just ponder does anyone face the same issue as well.

typhoon_tip
March 12th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Well, I have used Gnome 3 for a while and almost instantly got bored by it. It doesn't have the same expanding potential that Unity has, in my point of view. Unity is what Gnome 2 was when it first came out, plus is much more beautiful in my opinion. I think the choice of sticking with Compiz instead of VClutter (OpenGL engines + Window Managers) is a winning one at the end. Compiz is very customizable, VClutter is not. Just to change the appearance of a shadow in the latter one you have to recompile it...

Just my $0.02. ):P

wacky_sung
March 12th, 2012, 09:41 AM
It is just my opinion in which i look forward that Ubuntu can work better in giving the user option to choose. Just like what Linux Mint (http://linuxmint.com/) has offered their users with option will be great.