PDA

View Full Version : Free SSH + Screen service?

honeybear
March 12th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Hello, I would like a Free SSH + Screen service. Mostly the service SSH + SCREEN require a monthly/yearly fee.

I have searched over google and make a little survey, and I could not find actually any unfortunately.

Besides, the service would have to be reliable. Old and recognize service would be desired, so that it does not expires after X-time.

Would you know eventually a possible website that proposes this?

thank you

Paqman
March 12th, 2012, 06:45 AM
So you want a server that will give you ssh access and let you run something in screen, for free? I'm not surprised you can't find one, who would pay for it all? It's not like it could be supported by ads. I think you'll have to find someone who's willing to donate some access to their personal server.

What were you wanting to run in screen?

honeybear
March 12th, 2012, 08:27 AM
So you want a server that will give you ssh access and let you run something in screen, for free? I'm not surprised you can't find one, who would pay for it all? It's not like it could be supported by ads. I think you'll have to find someone who's willing to donate some access to their personal server.

What were you wanting to run in screen?

nothing is free nowadays :(

Simply to receive daily an email (bash script) from news, and to keep reading my instant messenging (aim) and also irssi. Nothing very advanced, very basic.

Paqman
March 12th, 2012, 08:49 AM
nothing is free nowadays :(

What you're asking for is privileged access to and compute time on a server, which is an expensive bit of kit. I don't think that ever was free.

Simply to receive daily an email (bash script) from news, and to keep reading my instant messenging (aim) and also irssi. Nothing very advanced, very basic.

If your needs are so modest, why not do it yourself? You could easily pick up and old PC from somewhere like Freecycle for free, or someone you know might have an old machine gathering dust you can have. Install Ubuntu server and your apps, sign up to a dynamic DNS service if you need external access. Job done.

honeybear
March 12th, 2012, 09:52 AM
What you're asking for is privileged access to and compute time on a server, which is an expensive bit of kit. I don't think that ever was free.

If your needs are so modest, why not do it yourself? You could easily pick up and old PC from somewhere like Freecycle for free, or someone you know might have an old machine gathering dust you can have. Install Ubuntu server and your apps, sign up to a dynamic DNS service if you need external access. Job done.

the problem is simply the noise. I would like a silent machine. Anything is cheap and silent. I have several machines (laptop, multimedia pc, ...). Any fan is loud

maybe an android with LINUX on it?

sudodus
March 12th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Is it possible to have the computer in another room? Or to get an htpc, such pcs are often made to be more silent than the average, because they are meant to help you get a good audio experience.

GeneralZod
March 12th, 2012, 10:13 AM
maybe an android with LINUX on it?

Or as Raspberry Pi, if you can wait a few months! :)

This site:

http://shells.red-pill.eu/index.php?method=out&start=21

lists a few free shell providers. Amongst the many, many dead links (which gives an idea of the kind of reliability you can expect free shell providers in general), there are these guys:

http://www.shellium.org/

who allow (http://www.shellium.org/?q=node/3) screen, though they have strong restrictions on the number of background processes.

HermanAB
March 12th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Sounds like you need a Shiva Plug.

Paqman
March 12th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Sounds like you need a Shiva Plug.

From what I've heard the 1st gen ones had overheating problems, which the 2nd gen fixed by adding a really noisy fan.

You can get mini-ITX Atom boards that are completely passive, but that would involve spending some money. If you want to get DIY you could get the mobo from an old netbook and butcher it by attaching a big heatsink.

ssam
March 12th, 2012, 12:04 PM
there are some quite cheap virtual private servers (VPS). with a few minutes searching i found one for $35 per year.

honeybear
March 12th, 2012, 02:58 PM
sheeva plug looks silent hardware

Warpnow
March 13th, 2012, 12:24 AM
This is actually a very common service. 5-10 years ago there were hundreds of free shell logins available out there for people to use. There are still quite a few.

http://shells.red-pill.eu/

Google Free Linux Shell and a ton will come up.

I used to use them alot for bouncing telnet connections to diguise my IP address. Not for illegal use, mind. I promise.

CharlesA
March 13th, 2012, 12:42 AM
there are some quite cheap virtual private servers (VPS). with a few minutes searching i found one for $35 per year.
+1. Keep in mind that whoever runs the server you are going to be using will have access to anything running on it. A VPS will get around this because you are the sole "owner" of it.

I just run SSH on my home server, which sits in the other room.