PDA

View Full Version : [other] Reinstalling Windows

bubberkill
March 11th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Hey

I helped my dad fix his Acer Aspire 7535G laptop, it had a virus or something corrupting windows, so i installed Ubuntu on it, but the thing is, i swiped the entire hard disc and we need to install Windows 7 Home Premium again and we dont have the boot cd that came with the computer, i tried hitting alt+f10 in the bootup so i could restore factory settings, but i wouldent work because the disc got swiped, can we install windows from a back up from another windows 7 computer or do we need to download an .iso?? We still have a product key for it... It's not that we dont like Ubuntu but my dad has a lot of paid programs for windows and he doesent like change...

Any help would be appreciated

-FwJ

critin
March 11th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Hey

I helped my dad fix his Acer Aspire 7535G laptop, it had a virus or something corrupting windows, so i installed Ubuntu on it, but the thing is, i swiped the entire hard disc and we need to install Windows 7 Home Premium again and we dont have the boot cd that came with the computer, i tried hitting alt+f10 in the bootup so i could restore factory settings, but i wouldent work because the disc got swiped, can we install windows from a back up from another windows 7 computer or do we need to download an .iso?? We still have a product key for it... It's not that we dont like Ubuntu but my dad has a lot of paid programs for windows and he doesent like change...

Any help would be appreciated

-FwJ

OEM's are specifically for that computer and will not install on different hardware. Is the 'other' W7 backup also an OEM version or was it bought separately?

You can go to the Computer site and probably order a restore disk for that particular machine. (maybe) If you can find a real Windows Home Premium disk from friend or family, you can try installing it with your key. A store bought version though, exactly the same as yours, not an OEM. Windows is very particular with their licenses as you know.

bubberkill
March 11th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the quick help, right now im downloading the official iso from microsoft and im gonna use the product key on the sticker under the laptop, that should work, right??

bubberkill
March 11th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Oh yeah, we're gonna use the product key that came with the computer

restorator
March 11th, 2012, 08:00 PM
right now im downloading the official iso from microsoft

Now where exactly are you downloading this iso from? As far as I know Microsoft does not have anywhere to aquire their products without purchasing them first. Be vary careful where you get this from. I would not suggest using a torrent or any other suspicious sounding location for this. If its not legit the iso could have all kinds of bad stuff made right into it and you would never even know it.

bubberkill
March 12th, 2012, 12:12 PM
This is the retail edition, so its like the trial, we just need to type in the key

Mark Phelps
March 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM
The key on the sticker is NOT the key the OEM used to activate the PC in the first place; they used a different key.

And while that key MIGHT work, you won't have the drivers or any of the software the OEM provided with their installation.

Also, if you downloaded the ISO from the Official MS image provider site (I think it's Digital River or something like that), you most likely download an image of Win7 with SP1 already included. If your PC came with the base version, the key in the sticker most likely will NOT work, as the keys are different.

If the key does not work, then you will THEN have to contact the supplier of the PC to order a set of full-restore optical media, as although you CAN call MS to get a key checked, in the case of OEM installs (which is your case), they generally refuse to help as the key is actually owned by the OEM, not by you.

OH, and the next time you have a Win7 problem, why not just go to the Win7 forums (sevenforums.com) instead of just blindly blowing away the contents of someone else's PC?

critin
March 13th, 2012, 04:07 AM
This is the retail edition, so its like the trial, we just need to type in the key

Is it Windows 8 developers release? It's good for a few months. If your Dad dual booted with Ubuntu he could learn quite a bit in that time and might want to keep ubuntu. I thought about getting it (Win eight) myself, then thought again...

Oh yeah, we're gonna use the product key that came with the computer

If its the Developer's version, you can't use your key, but Microsoft gives you one with the download.

Mark Phelps
March 13th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Is it Windows 8 developers release?

OP said that it's Windows 7 Home Premium.

Mark Phelps
March 13th, 2012, 10:36 PM

There is no "trial" version of Windows 7. You can install it from DVD and NOT enter a product key -- and it will give you 30 days of use. Using commands, you can then extend that to 120 days. But, it's not a trial version, it's just an unactivated full version.

And, if it is Retail, you can reinstall it again and again -- but understand, that each time you go to reactivate it, that info is sent to MS. Eventually, you will reach a limit (and MS will NOT tell us that limit) where it will not reactivate. When that happens, you have to call MS (1-800 number) and work with them to reactivate it.

critin
March 15th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Yes, thank you, Mark Phelps.
I wasn't aware of a 'trial' of Win7, but was of Win8. Thought he might be wanting to try it.