PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.10 puts my monitor to sleep.

Crossbow
March 11th, 2012, 04:20 PM
First, I'm computer illiterate.

I searched the forums and couldn't find a similar problem.

OK, last night I did the upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10. When it restarted, the monitor went into power save mode and I couldn't wake it up.

I tried:

1. Shutting down the power. That is the only way I can restart it. When it restarts it goes through the usual steps up to the "Ubuntu 10.10" splash page, then goes into power save mode.

2. Hooking up another monitor. Same problem.

3. Restoring all the BIOS to defaults. Same problem.

4. Booting from my old 9.04 disk. I was SURE that would work, but the same thing happened.

RandyNose
March 11th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Are you able to use the computer at all?

Crossbow
March 11th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I can access the setup and boot menu. Not the operating system.

matt_symes
March 11th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Hi

Does this happen if you boot from a LiveCD/USB ?

Kind regards

Crossbow
March 11th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Yup, it happens with the live CD.

PS. I don't know how to start in recovery mode, if that's the next question.

matt_symes
March 11th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Hi

I would check the power management settings in your BIOS and on the monitor.

I may be that the BIOS checksum check has failed for some reason and it has loaded fail safe defaults and that is interfering with the monitor.

It may also be a problem with kernel mode setting.

Kind regards

Crossbow
March 11th, 2012, 04:57 PM
What do I look for in the power management settings in BIOS? I set them to default.

How do I check the settings on the monitor? The menu only gives me color and positioning options.

BIOS says:

ACPI Suspend type: S3(STR)
Remote wake up: on
Auto power on: disabled
AC recovery: off

RandyNose
March 11th, 2012, 05:19 PM
The first thing that needs to happen is for you to be able to access the computer from either a USB or CD.

Go back into the BIOS and make sure that the boot order has the CD drive first, before anything else, and try booting off of your old 9.04 disk.

IS this an older computer? Did it come with windows on it, and if so what version?

Crossbow
March 11th, 2012, 05:23 PM
It's a 2007. It came with Ubuntu installed from Dell, and it's never had Windows on it. I already had it boot from the CD and the same thing happened: It got to the "Ubuntu" page and the monitor went to sleep. From the noise, it sounds like the computer goes to the log-in page.

RandyNose
March 11th, 2012, 05:30 PM
It sounds like a video card issue, loose monitor cable? Sounds like something more than just an OS issue. Maybe check the DELL forums on your machine type? Is this a desktop or laptop?

Crossbow
March 11th, 2012, 05:34 PM
It would be nice if that were the problem! But I tried it with another monitor and the same thing happened. I checked the Dell forums and didn't find it.

It's a desk top. (I'm using my friend's laptop now and remembering why I hate laptops.)

Isn't there something more I can check in BIOS?

matt_symes
March 11th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Hi

Is the video card built onto the motherboard or not ?

What make and model is it ?

Can you give a lot more information about the specs of the PC and monitor itself please.

Kind regards

Crossbow
March 11th, 2012, 05:47 PM
It's NVIDIA. I don't know, I guess it's built in. I have the driver CD.

This is a Dell Inspiron 530. The processor is Intel Premium dual-core. Memory installed: 1024mb. Speed: 667mhz. Memory technology DDR2 SDRAM. I don't know what that means.

matt_symes
March 11th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Hi

Can you at least post the model of the Dell computer ?

Attempting to debug this issue may be very hard if we have no knowledge of your hardware.

EDIT: I have just noticed the edit to your previous post.

Kind regards

matt_symes
March 11th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Hi

Here are the technical specs for your model.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/en/OM/HTML/appendix.htm

I don't own (and have never owned) a Dell so i am not sure how much help i may be.

I will take a look for you and the specs should also help others.

EDIT: I take it 9.04 (pre kernel mode settings) used to run with no problems until you upgraded 10.04 to 10.10 ?

Kind regards

Crossbow
March 11th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Thank you!

I did just try something else: I hooked up the monitor to this laptop and it works perfectly, so I've at least eliminated it being a monitor problem.

Edit: I found this in the Dell forum. Is this a related problem?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1646905

I opened the grub menu but I don't know what I'm looking at.

Crossbow
March 11th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I have successfully started it in low graphics mode. Inserted NVIDIA driver disk. Wish me luck...

Huh. 11.04 available as upgrade. Dare I?

RandyNose
March 11th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Well, from the thread that you've found, it does look like it's the same issue.

Try this, but also take note of what mpetrovickg said he did..
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10255516&postcount=6

Crossbow
March 11th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Well, from the thread that you've found, it does look like it's the same issue.

Try this, but also take note of what mpetrovickg said he did..
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10255516&postcount=6

I saw that but here wasn't a no splash line. I picked the first recovery mode line and booted that.

ETA:

NVIDIA server settings: Says I am not using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration (Run "nvidia-xconfig" as root) and restart. But I don't know how to run that. Tried just pasting it in. "Unable to locate/open x configuration file."

Crossbow
March 11th, 2012, 07:31 PM
What happens if I upgrade to 11.04 while in recovery mode?

Crossbow
March 12th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Well, I installed 11.04 and all is well so far. Only I really don't like the new desktop. It's more steps to get to the admin functions. I liked the drop down menus a lot better. Guess I'll call this "solved" although I never actually fixed the 10.10 problem.