PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu User Survey 2012.

philinux
March 11th, 2012, 01:05 PM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/have-you-taken-the-ubuntu-user-survey/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29

Carterclan
March 11th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Survey completed.

synaptix
March 11th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Done.

Dry Lips
March 11th, 2012, 02:08 PM
No questions about Unity? I'm kind of disappointed now. ;)

whatthefunk
March 11th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Yeah, way too general. I dont know what they hope to gain from that....

Paqman
March 11th, 2012, 02:14 PM

Surely it's time for the next big drama?

westie457
March 11th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Survey completed. Very generic questions

sudodus
March 11th, 2012, 02:48 PM
done!
very general questions

sammiev
March 11th, 2012, 03:04 PM
survey completed. Very generic questions

+1

GMU_DodgyHodgy
March 11th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Done!

raja.genupula
March 11th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Yeah! Done But ....hmm . we should have few more options regarding environments and whats the default applications users always like used .

thats my opinion .

philinux
March 11th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Survey completed. Very generic questions

Indeed.

NikTh
March 12th, 2012, 01:21 PM
survey completed. Very generic questions

+1

Dry Lips
March 12th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Who are behind this survey? I'm not sure what they want to find out.

forrestcupp
March 12th, 2012, 03:03 PM
They made it so general so that they wouldn't have to admit that people don't like things. ;)

a2j
March 12th, 2012, 03:54 PM
done. would like to see results.

varunendra
March 12th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Done!

Although I was a bit confused between 'Satisfactory' and 'Good' (even gave 'Poor' a thought) while answering the "User Experience" question (finally went with 'Satisfactory').

It used to be between good and very good until dropping of Gnome2 and continuation of certain other issues that are stated as 'fixed' on launchpad pages, then get resurrected with almost each kernel update. Old debate - I know, but things like these are certainly 'turn-offs'.

Overall, it's still better than others though.

Ms. Daisy
March 12th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I filled it out. The end goal of the survey wasn't clear to me either.

Philinux, can you post a link to the results when they're out?

wojox
March 12th, 2012, 09:48 PM
They made it so general so that they wouldn't have to admit that people don't like things. ;)

U Funny :p

Done.

winh8r
March 12th, 2012, 10:22 PM
More about market research than about user opinion I think.

philinux
March 12th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I filled it out. The end goal of the survey wasn't clear to me either.

Philinux, can you post a link to the results when they're out?

Well of course. But the survey was very generic. And someone may beat me to it.

I only posted it out of interest to the forums.

magowiz82
March 13th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Hi,
I just compiled 2012 survey and I want to say that it's short and don't see the point :
no mention to unity interface or other desktop environment.

I would like to say something like :
"IMHO unity is a flop, it's not so light and offers less functions and configuration than other DE, Gnome-Shell also if it's still fresh and needs to be improved a lot it's a lot better and the only reason I don't use Gnome-Shell on all pc is because of ATI driver issues."

What I want to say is not that we all should hate Unity but I think is very important for us to vote and being listened by devs about a CRITICAL topic : Desktop Environment, so IMHO you all are welcome to say I love/hate Unity/KDE/Gnome-Shell/LXDE/XFCE but let us vote about it.

Another thing : the survey makes question about future projects and doesn't ask nothing about current user experience : hardware support, bugs, human interaction....
What should I say about projects which I only see in some GDC video ? There aren't enough elements to express interest or not IMHO.

BeRoot ReBoot
March 13th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I only see a single critic, and it's you.

Perhaps you meant "some critiques"?

coffeecat
March 13th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Not a support request, so thread moved to The Community Cafe.

If you are referring to the omgubuntu survey (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/have-you-taken-the-ubuntu-user-survey/), then you may wish to take your concerns to them.

magowiz82
March 13th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Not a support request, so thread moved to The Community Cafe.

If you are referring to the omgubuntu survey (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/have-you-taken-the-ubuntu-user-survey/), then you may wish to take your concerns to them.
I didn't know I thought OMG Ubuntu was a somewhat official "voice" , my apologies .

@BeRoot ReBoot : who are you to say I'm the problem? Do you know me ? Who do you think you are ?

EDIT : I saw comments about the same argument on omg ubuntu blog article so I won't add mine because what I want to say is already said by other people.

Paqman
March 13th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Hi,
I just compiled 2012 survey and I want to say that it's short and don't see the point :
no mention to unity interface or other desktop environment.

Probably deliberate. The whole Unity drama has been pretty hysterical, and any results either way would likely overshadow the whole survey.

Besides, is there much left to say?

magowiz82
March 13th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Probably deliberate. The whole Unity drama has been pretty hysterical, and any results either way would likely overshadow the whole survey.

Besides, is there much left to say?

I think that now that Unity is officially supported since 11.04, so we have 2 stable ubuntu release behind , we should speak about unity, in 11.04 was too young.
Anyway all this thread is born because of a misunderstanding : I thought OMG ubuntu was an official ubuntu voice and since the survey is marked as announcement in main category it was something official.

I use unity almost every day because on my notebook I cannot run Gnome-Shell and I don't like KDE, so I don't think I could give a superficial or hysterical opinion about it, obviously I cannot speak for other people so you may be right.

IMHO anyway the main topics about ubuntu , and that made me choose ubuntu are :
- easily install/remove software
- easily install hardware in most cases
- no pain adding third party archives (named PPA)
- a good look and feel

the survey talked only about the first I said .

BeRoot ReBoot
March 13th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I think that now that Unity is officially supported since 11.04, so we have 2 stable ubuntu release behind , we should speak about unity, in 11.04 was too young.

I really don't think non-LTS "releases" count as stable at this point. Every release after 10.04 so far has been beta-quality at best. 12.04 is looking pretty stable again, so perhaps it makes sense to only refer to LTS releases as "stable", regardless of how Canonical is trying to market the rest.

Copper Bezel
March 13th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I use unity almost every day because on my notebook I cannot run Gnome-Shell and I don't like KDE, so I don't think I could give a superficial or hysterical opinion about it, obviously I cannot speak for other people so you may be right.

In that case, you might look into adding the Cairo Dock session (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/cairo-dock-240-released-with-custom.html). No sense using a UI you don't like. I've used AWN and DockBarX in place of the Unity plugin in the past, although AWN doesn't seem to work for me under 11.10.

synaptix
March 13th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I really don't think non-LTS "releases" count as stable at this point. Every release after 10.04 so far has been beta-quality at best. 12.04 is looking pretty stable again, so perhaps it makes sense to only refer to LTS releases as "stable", regardless of how Canonical is trying to market the rest.

Indeed. Also people whining about Unity being slow in 11.04 and 11.10, wait until 12.04. Lots of improvements to Unity have been so far, and my testing of 12.04 Beta 1 shows Unity to be a ton faster than it ever was in 11.04/11.10.

philinux
March 13th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Threads merged.

winh8r
March 13th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I completed the survey also, and i stated in another thread that it seemed more like market research than looking at user opinions.

We, as users can argue with each other about what Unity is and is not until we turn blue in the face, and it will get us nowhere.

My personal view, which as you have already stated was not able to be included in the survey is this:

Canonical needs to have a serious look at where it is going, too much too quickly is never a good thing in any field. Canonical will never replace Microsoft or Apple, fact.
The present Ubuntu user community is seriously divided on the issue of Unity, there is no point in showcasing something that is consistently receiving negative reviews from existing and new users alike.
The major stumbling block for Ubuntu in terms of wider acceptance is not one of how sexy the user interface is, it is the problems encountered by users trying to figure out how to get their hardware to work with something other than Windows (for which it was probably designed). This is where the resources should be going, into developing solutions to real everyday problems with basic functionality, and not into "look at what we can do" type development.

No-one will deny that Canonical has done a lot of good things with and for Ubuntu, nor will they deny that the developers work damn hard on doing what they do. It just looks like no-one is paying attention to what the real users are saying.
When people start complaining about something you are giving them for free then you know that something has gone wrong in the process.

Mark Phelps
March 13th, 2012, 10:27 PM
The unhappiness I have with Canonical (and its Leader) is that they are focusing on one (in my opinion) very small part of their "community" -- the folks that always want the newest, the slickest, the fanciest, regardless of what that costs.

I don't have a touch screen, although I do have a smartphone, and I don't WANT a smartphone interface on my desktop -- whether it's Ubuntu or MS Windows makes no difference to me.

Every few months, in a eagerness to make even MORE $$$, the PC manufacturers come out with a new hardware feature -- like Hybrid Graphics -- which OUR community then has to struggle for MONTHS to get someone to write the drivers to support.

Where is Canonical in dealing with this stuff? All they appear to be interested in is smartphone-like interfaces (NOW with a fighter-jet "heads up display"!) and the "cloud".

A really useful survey would have folks briefly describe the top five improvements they would like to see made to Ubuntu down the road -- including things to REMOVE from the current version.

Copper Bezel
March 14th, 2012, 01:49 AM
I completed the survey also, and i stated in another thread that it seemed more like market research than looking at user opinions.
Yes. This is what it is. = ) It's more useful for Canonical to know what people do than what they prefer.

acimi66
March 14th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Short and sweet. DONE

Ms. Daisy
March 14th, 2012, 02:35 AM
When people start complaining about something you are giving them for free then you know that something has gone wrong in the process.
With this little bit I have to completely disagree. I have witnessed people complain about everything, especially free stuff. That's not to say that any complaint about free stuff is or isn't valid. But the presence of a complaint isn't an argument to support the complaint.

Linuxratty
March 14th, 2012, 04:12 AM

Me too...I took a Microsoft one years ago and there was a little comments section at the end and I spoke my mind...It felt so good!

winh8r
March 14th, 2012, 09:15 AM
With this little bit I have to completely disagree. I have witnessed people complain about everything, especially free stuff. That's not to say that any complaint about free stuff is or isn't valid. But the presence of a complaint isn't an argument to support the complaint.

Point taken. You are correct in what you say.

BrokenKingpin
March 15th, 2012, 03:09 AM
I would have also liked a comments section. I don't know what this survey is going to tell anyone. If someone is not using Ubuntu and using one of the variants (such as myself) it won't tell them why.

I basically wanted to say I am very happy with the Ubuntu base, but dislike the direction of Unity. I am actually quite happy with the state of Xubuntu and use it as my main distro. I have also tried Lubuntu and Kubuntu a few times over the last couple months and found them to be a lot better than the main Ubuntu release. I know not everyone feels this way, and if this survey was any good it may have backed up this statement :P.