PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce the name "Asus"?

Copper Bezel
March 11th, 2012, 03:03 AM
This is driving me a bit nuts. I'm going to avoid using IPA here for clarity.

In English, the U in the computer manufacturer brand name Asus is properly pronounced like the "ou" in should or the "oo" in good. It's hard to hit, admittedly. I can see why this isn't a very common pronunciation, and honestly, I slur it into a schwa, or an "uh" - like I'm saying "ace us" or "a suss."

What drives me positively batty is that everyone who should know better - tech video bloggers, electronics store employees, whatever - pronounces it emphatically and pains-takingly as the "oo" in "boot." The syllables also have almost equal emphasis, something like "A. Suess." In person, they say it even more slowly and emphatically, as if they're correcting me.

This has a benefit, of course - it avoids confusion with Acer - but no one should be referring to the two in the same conversation, anyway, except to say that they shouldn't be mentioned in the same conversation. = P

So how do you pronounce it?

sidzen
March 11th, 2012, 03:11 AM
A. Suess' (slight accent on latter syllable) is how I was told -- your reference to the author

sffvba[e0rt
March 11th, 2012, 03:21 AM
A picture is worth a thousand words... how much for a video?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/17/how-to-pronounce-asus-video/

Copper Bezel
March 11th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Yeah, but the question is how you pronounce it. = )

sffvba[e0rt
March 11th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Yeah, but the question is how you pronounce it. = )

:lolflag:

OK... ok...

MisterGaribaldi
March 11th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I pronounce it the way the voices in my head tell me to.

Muahahahaha!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

Copper Bezel
March 11th, 2012, 03:52 AM
= )

But yeah, the video helps. She does pronounce it with something like the [uː], the "oo" of "boot," but with the emphasis on the A. Really, it's more like a straight [u] (no lengthening.) Again, a little awkward in English, with the un-accented full vowel. Wikipedia mislead me by describing it as [eɪsʊs], which is the "should" U. What I hear the most, though, is a combination of the two official pronunciations (which makes sense.)

MisterGaribaldi
March 11th, 2012, 04:38 AM
ay - sue - ss FTW!

kaldor
March 11th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Æsøs. Stress on the æ.

3rdalbum
March 11th, 2012, 05:52 AM
It's all very well saying how it should be pronounced in English, but Asus is a Taiwanese company. You should pronounce it how the Taiwanese pronounce it.

Asus rhymes with Zeus as far as I know.

However, I pronounce it "Banana". It causes fewer arguments.

Copper Bezel
March 11th, 2012, 06:09 AM
It's all very well saying how it should be pronounced in English, but Asus is a Taiwanese company. You should pronounce it how the Taiwanese pronounce it.
Not actually as practical as it sounds. Different languages simply have different sets of phonemes to work with, so any word that gets transliterated from one language to another usually shows some wear. The simplest example is that the [r] sound in Japanese, English, and French are all completely distinct from one another, with different tongue positions and everything, but still close enough to be substituted for one another when a word crosses between any of those languages.

Also, Asus isn't written as phonetic English or a phonetic transcription from Taiwanese or Mandarin into Roman characters. The sort of default Western pronunciation of the name as it's written would have been exactly the one from the old advertisement. It's the last four letters of the not-originally Taiwanese, not-originally-English word Pegasus, pronounced the way the company felt like pronouncing them. = )

Using [æ] (the A in cat) is still creatively wrong, of course. = )

Edit: Also, English doesn't use [ø], so I don't think that's what he was going for, anyway.

Edit again: Unless you meant me, in which case, we don't really have the short [u] sound in English, either. Zeus uses [u:].

MisterGaribaldi
March 11th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Well, if you listen to the gal on engaget, it's pronounced the way I've always pronounced it:

A - seuss.

Copper Bezel
March 11th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I don't think you're appreciating the degree of nitpicking I'm engaging in here. = ) The first time she says it, she enunciates more clearly, and it sounds like [eɪsus], but the second is more like [eɪsʊs], as attested on Wikipedia. Both have the accent on the first syllable, as you're saying. The one that's nails on a chalkboard to me is [eɪsu:s] (to rhyme with Zeus, Seuss, etc.) but with an accent on the second syllable. She can't be mistaken for doing that, obviously. ([eɪsəs] still sounds less affected to me. [u] without an accent is really hard.)

But I started the poll because I was curious how common each pronunciation really is, and now I wish I'd set the poll up differently, because both the range of possibilities and the correct pronunciation are actually different from what I'd initially thought.

MisterGaribaldi
March 11th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Oh, you can nit-pick all you like. That's cool by me!

I have no idea what the stuff you were writing for your pronunciation guides are, what language they're oriented towards, etc., so I just repeated what I heard the oriental gal say in as basic a standard American English way as possible.

Copper Bezel
March 11th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Yeah, that works. = )

The symbols I used are from the IPA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipa), which kaldor used, and I'd thought that 3rdalbum was responding to him. The most likely place you'll run into them is Wikipedia's pronunciation keys.

BeRoot ReBoot
March 11th, 2012, 09:07 AM
*** - oos.

I do it to troll the jaypeg and gooey people.

jwbrase
March 11th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I actually pronounce it more like "A sis" (or /ɛisIs/ in IPA, weird things happen to my unstressed schwas), but the pronunciation used by the company itself is what's authoritative.

Paqman
March 11th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Definitely aςh-bo-z™ueσsus, the way it's supposed to be.

Swagman
March 11th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Asus is sort for Asustek (*** yooz tek).

Leave my butt alone !!

I pronounce the shortened version to Aah Zeus

alexan
March 11th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I do pronounce it: "Asciusassasà!"

It's liberating :D

JDShu
March 11th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I am a regular Ace-us sayer. Seems the most logical to me.

winh8r
March 11th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I would say "AY-suss"

Copper Bezel
March 11th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone! (And I'm enjoying some of the creative ones. = D )

I actually pronounce it more like "A sis" (or /ɛisIs/ in IPA, weird things happen to my unstressed schwas), but the pronunciation used by the company itself is what's authoritative.

Oh, agreed - I've just never heard any English speaker actually pronounce it the way the lady in the video does. It's also hard to argue that one mispronunciation is more correct than another, which makes just about anything fair game. = )

synaptix
March 11th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Ace-us

MarkC3pO
March 11th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I pronounce it ah-SOOS.

Lucradia
March 12th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I used to pronounce it like Ah soos, but then I took a linguistic module to my brain.

Now I pronounce it A - suhs.

forrestcupp
March 12th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I pronounce it the correct way. A soos, with a long "a" sound and the first syllable stressed.

It's confusing because it wasn't always pronounced that way. It wasn't too long ago that the company changed its official pronunciation to be that. It used to be pronounced
a SOOS, with the last syllable stressed. As ridiculous as this sounds, they changed the official pronunciation because they wanted to compete more with Acer, which has the first syllable stressed.

stalkingwolf
March 12th, 2012, 06:32 PM
IT all depends on what product im working with and how it is working.

:D

Simian Man
March 12th, 2012, 06:34 PM
It's spelled "Asus", but it's pronounced "throat-wobbler mangrove".

forrestcupp
March 13th, 2012, 02:58 PM
It's spelled "Asus", but it's pronounced "throat-wobbler mangrove".

Lol.

Copper Bezel
March 13th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Yeah, that rolls off the tongue a bit better. I can get behind it. = )

I pronounce it the correct way. A soos, with a long "a" sound and the first syllable stressed.

It's confusing because it wasn't always pronounced that way. It wasn't too long ago that the company changed its official pronunciation to be that. It used to be pronounced
a SOOS, with the last syllable stressed. As ridiculous as this sounds, they changed the official pronunciation because they wanted to compete more with Acer, which has the first syllable stressed.

Well, it was founded by folks who worked for Acer, so it wouldn't surprise me if the internal pronunciation was always like that. I think the only thing that changed was the pronunciation in English-speaking countries.

linoseros
March 13th, 2012, 07:34 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words... how much for a video?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/17/how-to-pronounce-asus-video/

Haha nice video lol