PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] laptop not responding while installing ubuntu

dvait
March 11th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Hi All,

I'm new to linux and Ubuntu. I've downloaded ubuntu, prepare a cd and try to install it on my laptop which had windows XP SP3. Initially it worked fine, when I start my laptop it asked to choose between windows or ubuntu.
When I asked to remove windows and install ubuntu permanently, then a blank screen appeared and stayed there for 3 hours, then I switched it off. Laptop's keyboard stopped responding.
Any idea how I can install ubutnu on it and how should I proceed now on installation.

Thanks

darkod
March 11th, 2012, 01:17 AM
What do you mean, install ubuntu permanently? What was the first install, wubi inside windows or proper dual boot?

In any case, if you boot with the ubuntu cd in live mode (Try Ubuntu option), does it load correctly and can you run it from the cd? That's the first thing to check so you know if you can expect problems.

dvait
March 11th, 2012, 09:59 PM
That's what I tried first and it worked perfectly fine.
After seeing the result, I try to make Ubuntu permanent i.e. remoivng windows XP. I did it with some option from ubuntu installer.

[QUOTE=darkod;11755556]What do you mean, install ubuntu permanently? What was the first install, wubi inside windows or proper dual boot?

Permanently means removing windows and installing ubuntu only.

dvait
March 16th, 2012, 11:58 PM
I discussed the issue with my friend and he suggested that windows OS is not cleaned properly, so while booting laptop is not finding anything. He gave me CD it started an FDOS session. Now, when I ran FDISK I can see the partition (there's only one) is called "Linux native". status 131. Is tehre any way to recover data on the laptop an install linux without clearing the partition?

Quackers
March 17th, 2012, 12:28 AM
You can try Testdisk, which may recover the Windows partition and its contents.
I'm intrigued though why you intended to install Ubuntu over the top of Windows but you now want to recover your Windows files.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

A better howto by Herman
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

dvait
March 22nd, 2012, 04:28 PM
Finally, I able to install Ubuntu 11.10 32 bit on my laptop.
First I used a cd provided by one of my friend to boot the laptop and use freedos to run fdisk and clear the harddisk.
Then I install Ubuntu the CD taht I cut after downloading it.
It installed successfully. At the end it stopped at the final shutdown screen for around an hour. I thought it might be the way ubuntu shut dow so I pressed the laptop button to shutdown and restart.
But during restart it is just showing the laptop banner screen and not doing anything else.
Any idea what went wrong and how to fix it?