PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No sound through monitor - ubuntu 11.10

JackOConnor
March 11th, 2012, 12:04 AM
I am new to linux (hence I'm posting this in absolute beginner talk) and recently installed ubuntu 11.10 alongside windows 7 (which I no longer use). It's all working fine except for one thing. I have no sound through my monitor. I do have sound on windows and if I plug in headphones the sound works fine also. My sound is coming through, alongside my video, a HDMI cable. I don't know if it's any help but my monitor is plug and play (linux wouldn't display at all on my old one which isn't!!!).

Please help!!! I need sound!!!

saphil
March 23rd, 2012, 05:20 AM
Welcome to the Forums!

I noticed you hadn't gotten much of a response on this post. It might be because there are a few missing pieces of information.

Please tell post the following information. It is hard to troubleshoot hardware interface issues without knowing the hardware. :-)

When you look at your sound settings, can you see both your headphones and your internal card?
What desktop environment are you using? Unity, Gnome, KDE, other? There may be differences in how you attack the problem. (If you just installed Ubuntu from the standard download point at ubuntu.com, you probably have the Unity desktop).
interesting that the headphones work but the speakers don't. This is a standard "Desktop computer" or is it a laptop or a netbook or a tablet or a kerosene-powered cheese-grater? What make/model? How old?

I have had sound fail because of a kernel mod issue (in a beta version several years ago) and I had to just wait it out until the actual issue of that version, but this is probably not that kind of issue.

Wolf