PDA

View Full Version : C# Mono and Learning to programme.

Stylesmarino
March 10th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Hi folks.

I have just started a post-grad course in which I will be building up some computer skills. Among them is a module called "Object Oriented Programming".
I know we will be taught C# as part of the subject, that will probably be the language of choice.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 on an old lap top, I don't have any windows machine.

So I read around and found out about Mono.
I'm pretty sure this is a simple (or dumb) question but......If I just install the Mono C# compiler I should be able to do simple programming on my home machine, shouldn't I?

Thanks in advance, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I'm obviously new to this stuff.

directhex
March 11th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Hi folks.

I have just started a post-grad course in which I will be building up some computer skills. Among them is a module called "Object Oriented Programming".
I know we will be taught C# as part of the subject, that will probably be the language of choice.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 on an old lap top, I don't have any windows machine.

So I read around and found out about Mono.
I'm pretty sure this is a simple (or dumb) question but......If I just install the Mono C# compiler I should be able to do simple programming on my home machine, shouldn't I?

Thanks in advance, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I'm obviously new to this stuff.

Yes. I'd recommend installing monodevelop, which is an IDE for C# development (amongst others)

Stylesmarino
March 11th, 2012, 12:13 PM
I will check it out, thank you.

HavarN
March 12th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I'd recommend installing mono and monodevelop from the badger-ports ppa, as the versions of monodevelop and mono available in the default 10.04 repositories are rather old.

http://badgerports.org/

Cheers.