March 10th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Hi!

On the xubuntu cd I just downloaded I find only

Install Xubuntu
Check disk for defects
Test memory
Boot from first hard disk
Rescue a broken system

I need to boot into a live cd. Is this not supported in the 11.10 version of Xubuntu?

disabled20191128
March 10th, 2012, 06:13 PM
you have probably downloaded the alternate installation image try downloading the live cd installation version

winh8r
March 10th, 2012, 06:28 PM
This should do what you need :

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/cdimage.ubuntu.com/cdimage/xubuntu/releases/11.10/release/xubuntu-11.10-desktop-i386.iso

Hope this helps

th00ht
March 10th, 2012, 07:25 PM
duh, I kept wondering what alternate was all about. Thought just an alternate download universe. I did a search on the xubuntu site to find out what the difference is. But I could not locate a statement telling me what desktop and alternate means.

winh8r
March 10th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Alternative install CD's are generally used when the target machine either does not meet the specifications to run the LIVE cd or where the user requires a basic install which allows for further configuration of hardware etc in order for a fully functional desktop environment to be installed.

There are also minimal install cd's where the entire installation is very small and runs from the command line, the user then chooses which packages to install that are in keeping with either their requirements or the capabiliites of the machine

Hope this helps clear it up a bit.