PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade to 11.10 evaporated everything previously installed.

elldeepee
March 10th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Hello,

I performed upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10 yesterday. I do not know from which previous version, but it was quite recent. After all was said and done, what was a working system, is now a bare bones machine. My document and graphics files remained intact, but absolutely every application / program I have ever installed evaporated. I had quite a few music / graphics / video / image editors / and more. All gone.

I am left with the bare bones Libre office programs, Firefox, Ubuntu software center, and that's about it. What little user interfaces there are, are stark, with no opportunities to open any visual "themes" I think they are called. I only have orange, and grey buttons, borders, highlights, etc.

I am going to have to get busy converting over the documents over to Windows versions from the open office so I won't loose those.

I think I am out of luck for ever restoring this machine back to where it was.

Any suggestions? Hoping for a cure!

Thank you.

Mark Phelps
March 12th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Unfotunately, even after all these years, Canonical still seems apparently completely uninterested in making any kind of roll-back feature available for version upgrades. So, the only option is to reinstall the old version from scratch.

elldeepee
March 19th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Hello and Thank You,

Have gotten about 1/2 of the system back together, at least I am learning something from all of this. Some of the applications were still intact, just lost. Others reloaded. Found a new themes and tweaks tool, so it looks better now.

I'll think 2x before pressing the "upgrade now" button again!

tks, ldp