PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Street Team Has Started

josephmills
March 10th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Hello there. I have started a group that is called The Ubuntu Street Team.

So what is a street team ?

Well there are many different kinds but here are a few to start out with.

In the Music biz there are people that go out before the concert and they hang up posters and talk to people about the show. They ware band tee-shirts and and try and raise as much focus and energy to the event as they can . And alot times these crews also do the merchandising for the band also. This is one kinda street teams.
A different Kinda street team is a person/person’s that sits outside of a store or anywhere in public and gather signatures to hand off to there local congressman/women/zhe/whatever. There Missions is to gather as many signatures as they possibly can. They also (most of the time) get paid per signature. Like tenth of a US Dollar per signature. This funding is done in a multitude of ways.
You can also see street team’s In Las Vegas U.S.A handing out flyers for night clubs and what not. some times you can even see some street team crew members dressed up in a custom waving a sign around trying to attract a customer into there place of business.

So What does this have to Do with Ubuntu?

The street teams will be made up of people that go to festivals and other places where the human traffic is high. We will hand out live cds. who knows hopefully in the future we will have tables ad booths at these venues.

The Ubuntu Street Team is also trying to get togeather with police fireman mayor congressmen and women and just about anybody that has pull in the government. We will then try to get sponsored by one of these people. To push Ubuntu into the schools lib's and well just about every where. Via signautes form local people. that can then be made into bills for other to pass on.

What else is Ubuntu Street team up too ?

We would like to help out any and all LoCo groups by helping others to going there group. The last thing that The Ubunut Street Team wants to do is to take away from LoCo groups. We want to help LoCo groups!Help them get started in places where there is none, and help out others that might be having a hardtime getting members or whatever.

So if you would like to help out we just got are website of the ground yesterday and Boy does it need help.
1) My spelling is less then sub par.
2) some pages need filler.
3) We need members.
4) We need lawyers
5) We need sponsorship
The list goes on and on as we just started up.

The Site is located here. http://ubuntustreetteam.tk/
you can sign in with your launch pad account. if you would like to help develop the site then you can meet me on the forums IRC channel or Ubuntu Street Teams one.My nick is bobweaver. Or email and I will put you on the list to help develop

Thanks for taking the time to read this. And I look forward to hearing from you in the future with questions and answers

Joseph Mills

kevdog
March 11th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Just a question -- the members of the street team will be paid for their efforts?

sffvba[e0rt
March 11th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Just a question -- the members of the street team will be paid for their efforts?

No. Street Teams are voluntary (like the forum staff and thousands of others taking part in Ubuntu on some or other level without getting any remuneration (well in money) for their efforts).

josephmills
March 11th, 2012, 08:50 AM

Not found is 100% correct for the time being. (that is why #4) We need lawyers) is so important I do not think that you can do a 501 (c) with out dropping the name ubuntu but i am not sure. Not a lawyer.

keithpeter
March 11th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Hello josephmills and all

Nice idea, well done and best of luck with all the legal aspects of voluntary work.

Any plans to focus your street team on audiences that might be especially receptive? e.g. Universities, coffee shops near local design / web development companies, hacker spaces &c?

When Precise goes stable, I might go to a few hacker-space like events and just show it around. Load it with the audio software from ubuntustudio packages, that kind of stuff.

PS: why the .tk domain?

josephmills
March 11th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Hello josephmills and all

Nice idea, well done and best of luck with all the legal aspects of voluntary work.
thanks !

Any plans to focus your street team on audiences that might be especially receptive? e.g. Universities, coffee shops near local design / web development companies, hacker spaces &c?

Yes I do but I want to stay futer away from hackerspaces and other places that might already know about ubuntu.
I think that the Loco teams can take care of the hackerspaces.

coffeeshop's = 100% ubuntu hour I think that that is a great thing for coffee shops.

I want to focus mainly on the first year doing. Festival's and sporting events. keep it above 15,000 people or more that are going to be at the venues of choice.

Here is a list of some of thouse venues

http://www.bonnaroo.com/
http://www.coachella.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phish_festivals
http://gatheringofthevibes.com/
http://wakarusa.com/
http://www.waneefestival.com/
http://www.highsierramusic.com/
http://www.campbisco.net/
http://forecastlefest.com/
http://www.allgoodfestival.com/

As you can see these are all like 2 or more days long most of them are out of the way. So getting supplies half way though a festival can be a pain esp if you or other have been drinking or you do not want to loose your spot because you waited 5 hr in your car in line. This makes for a prime target as. 1) people will see you over and over again because there is no place else to go. But what if you stacked up on bottled water that had ubuntu symbols or cards on them.what about ICE for there beers and coolers. People would come over to get water from you. I mean I have seen this happen over and over again. Having a booth at things like this is not hard at all to get. most of the time if you know people then you can one or even share tables(booths) with people.

So in short I want people to see a giant well not gaint but a easyup http://www.ezup.com/index.html
with some stuff set up. Also if you are not selling and just asking for donations or suggested donations then you can get these spots uber cheap.

So people will ask what is that? maybe they can go away thinking that ubuntu is great. Then find out that it is linux a couple months later.

When Precise goes stable, I might go to a few hacker-space like events and just show it around. Load it with the audio software from ubuntustudio packages, that kind of stuff.

That sounds Super cool!
I can not wait until I get to talk to a lawyer I will then know what I can and can not do making life easy. there are a lot other plains also I noted some above. but some that I am keeping to myself due to legal reasons,

I tried to call the MA canonical office to talk about this. I was redirected to the one in the UK but no one got back to me. And I can Not call there $$.

PS: why the .tk domain?

That is all that I could get with 0.00 dollors :) I am plaining on buying a domain but it has been a rough winter for joseph.

Thanks so much for for your interest.

Oh and I am redoing the backend to the site to bee like ubuntu even have the music play when you log in check it out in a week or two.

still needs some work the whole site does. but it will be nice when done. I also patched and fixed ubuntu SSO plugin that was in the repo I will be uploading soon.

Thanks again
Joseph

Dangertux
March 11th, 2012, 05:23 PM
This seems like a really cool project. I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

See my PM for more information

Ms. Daisy
March 12th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Interesting. I have a few ideas on the front end, planning type stuff.

I've read your personal wiki a while back, Josephmills, and it's clear to me that you're serious about this. I applaud your efforts to bring Ubuntu to the people. The concept may be new in Ubuntu circles but it certainly isn't in the wide world of marketing. IMHO the project could probably benefit from studying some successful examples of programs similar to the one you propose. There's no point in reinventing the wheel. I'll PM you with more details.

kevdog
March 12th, 2012, 02:42 AM
I applaud your efforts, however I can only speak for myself. I have a lot better things to do with my time than stand on street corners or in stores (or where ever), handing out Ubuntu CD's or talking about the product. The effort you are taking with this project is quite admirable. I sure hope your time and effort put into this project pays off for you in a big way.

MisterGaribaldi
March 12th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I see the past repeating itself here.

Yes, I know things have changed substantially since the last great "go Linux" push back in 1998-99, but "the masses" out there aren't looking for principled, personal liberty-oriented operating systems. They're looking for what "just works" and doesn't require them to have to worry about technological support for their hardware of choice (which will be whatever the heck it will be), nor commercial support, nor are they interested in worrying about choosing between dual booting / VMing / WINEing / sourcing alternative F/OSS apps as a strategy to maintain their existing levels of productivity.

I love Linux, and I love such things as F/OSS and the GPL, but then I've always been a tech enthusiast, and I'm (not to bring politics into this, but) also a Libertarian at heart, and even all that being said I still demand a "production" environment which is why my desktops aren't running Linux, but Mac OS X and Windows. There's certain software I *need* to run for which there just aren't substitutes.

Now yes, it's true, everyone running Linux who doesn't *have* to support Win32/64 or Mac OS X apps would be a significant number of people and it would do the world a "world of good" because it would cut down on the nature and spread of viruses and vulnerabilities, but the average person out there isn't cut from the right sort of cloth to do this. Sorry, but that's just reality.

josephmills
March 12th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Interesting. I have a few ideas on the front end, planning type stuff.

Sweet any tips are good tips at this point.

I've read your personal wiki a while back, Josephmills, and it's clear to me that you're serious about this. I applaud your efforts to bring Ubuntu to the people. The concept may be new in Ubuntu circles but it certainly isn't in the wide world of marketing. IMHO the project could probably benefit from studying some successful examples of programs similar to the one you propose. There's no point in reinventing the wheel. I'll PM you with more details.

From its debut in **** to present day, the primary mission of ****** Touring Division was to raise funds for a selected non-profit in each community %%%%% visited while on tour. The net proceeds raised at a particular show (donations and money from the sale of %%%%%%%%%% merchandise) were donated directly to the organization tabling at that show, after deducting a small fee to help cover the program's overhead and the cost of the merchandise.

To date ^^^^^^ has donated over $550,000 to more than 325 non-profits. This has only been possible because of the support of the fans.

some of the charity's that I have helped
Community Servings
venue state charity
Wantagh, NY- Homes for the Homeless
Wantagh, NY- Rock the Earth
Wantagh, NY- NYC Coalition Against Hunger
Mansfield, MA - Conservation Law Foundation
Asheville, NC Social and Environmental Entrepreneurs
Knoxville, TN- TCWN
St. Louis, MO - ByteWorks
Burgettstown, PA - Operation Safety Net
Noblesville, IN - School on Wheels Corp.
East Troy, WI - Michael Fields Agricultural Institute
East Troy, WI - Amnesty International group 39
Morrison, CO – Colorado Watershed Assembly
Morrison, CO – Conscious Alliance
Morrison, CO – Denver Urban Gardens
Morrison, CO- General Fund
Mountain View, CA- SEVA
George, WA - Vashon Youth Council
George, WA - Upper Salmon Recovery Board
Chicago, IL- Greater Chicago Food Depository
Darien Center, NY - Western New York Land Conservancy
Hartford, CT – Prudence Crandell Center
Columbia, MD - DC Central Kitchen\Homeless and Travelers Aid Society (HATAS)
Amsouth Amphitheatre, Nashville TN - Kids to the Country
Lakewood Amphitheatre, Atlanta GA - Southern Appalachian Biodiversity Project
Lakewood Amphitheatre, Atlanta GA - Upper Chattahoochi Riverkeeper
Alltel Pavilion, Raleigh NC - Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group
PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ - Northeast Organic Farming Association of New Jersey
PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ - Isles, Inc.
Meadows Music Theatre, Hartford CT - Waterwheel general fund
Meadows Music Theatre, Hartford CT - Farmington River Watershed Association
E Centre, Camden NJ - American Littoral Society
E Centre, Camden NJ - Student Environmental Action Coalition
Molson Amphitheatre, Toronto ON - Friends of the Lubicon
Star Lake Amphtheatre, Burgettstown PA - Allegheny Defense Project
Alpine Valley, East Troy WI - Hunger Task Force
Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville IN - Jinny O'Brien Free Clinic
Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville IN - Quest For Excellence / Ada's Place
Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville IN - Hoosier Environmental Council
Polaris Amphitheatre, Columbus OH - Choices for Victims of Domestic Violence
Polaris Amphitheatre, Columbus OH - Youth Empowerment Program
Pepsi Arena, Albany NY - Waterkeeper Alliance
Pepsi Arena, Albany NY - Conservation Law Foundation
Tweeter Center, Mansfield MA - Housing Assistance Corp.
Tweeter Center, Mansfield MA - Keeping Track
Darien Lake Performing Arts Center, Darien Center NY - Great Lakes United
HersheyPark Stadium, Hershey PA - Penn State Center for Sustainability
Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia MD - My Sisters Place
Blossom Music Center, Cleveland OH - Amnesty International
Riverbend Music Center, Cincinnati OH - Coalition for the Homeless
Allstate Arena, Rosemont IL - Aidscare
Allstate Arena, Rosemont IL - Chicago Abused Women Coalition
Target Center, Minneapolis MN - Honor the Earth
Fiddlers Green, Englewood CO - Denver Urban Gardens
Thomas and Mack Center, Las Vegas NV - Friends of Nevada Wilderness
Thomas and Mack Center, Las Vegas NV - Safenest
Desert Sky Amphitheatre, Phoenix AZ - Center for Biological Diversity
Coors Amphitheatre, Chula Vista CA - San Diego Bay Keeper
Irvine Meadows, Irvine CA - Beyond Shelter
Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View CA - Environmental Protection Information Center
Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View CA - Salmon River Restoration Council

I have also started the California law for ti stop the cutting of old growth redwoods and well all old growth

I also helped make it so children in California that had parents that where still at work had a place that they could go more about that here http://www.afterschoolallstars.org/site/pp.asp?c=enJJKMNpFmG&b=854685

I hope that this is a little bit of reinsurance for people that I know what I am up against and what I am doing.

Thanks to everyone that is giving me there support (you know who you are)

All that is valuable in human society depends upon the opportunity for development accorded the individual.
Albert Einstein

Thanks again !

VH-BIL
March 12th, 2012, 03:43 AM
I hate those posters that get put up for bands etc as they never get taken down after the concert and look terrible. Worse than graffiti in some ways.

josephmills
March 12th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Sorry, but that's just reality.

Sorry, but Reality is in the Eye of the Beholder
:)

josephmills
March 12th, 2012, 03:52 AM
I hate those posters that get put up for bands etc as they never get taken down after the concert and look terrible. Worse than graffiti in some ways.

Maybe you should take them down ? As you are a part of this also. j/k but yes they should have what is called a "green crew" these are the people that pick up afterwords.

VH-BIL
March 12th, 2012, 04:16 AM
Maybe you should take them down ? As you are a part of this also. j/k but yes they should have what is called a "green crew" these are the people that pick up afterwords.

Maybe I was be a little negative as I have never seen a "green crew" only old posters :) I think handing out Live CD's is an awesome idea though.

I just support Linux by converting people. Will think just be Ubuntu or Kubuntu and other flavours as well?

Dangertux
March 12th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I see the past repeating itself here.

Yes, I know things have changed substantially since the last great "go Linux" push back in 1998-99, but "the masses" out there aren't looking for principled, personal liberty-oriented operating systems. They're looking for what "just works" and doesn't require them to have to worry about technological support for their hardware of choice (which will be whatever the heck it will be), nor commercial support, nor are they interested in worrying about choosing between dual booting / VMing / WINEing / sourcing alternative F/OSS apps as a strategy to maintain their existing levels of productivity.

I love Linux, and I love such things as F/OSS and the GPL, but then I've always been a tech enthusiast, and I'm (not to bring politics into this, but) also a Libertarian at heart, and even all that being said I still demand a "production" environment which is why my desktops aren't running Linux, but Mac OS X and Windows. There's certain software I *need* to run for which there just aren't substitutes.

Now yes, it's true, everyone running Linux who doesn't *have* to support Win32/64 or Mac OS X apps would be a significant number of people and it would do the world a "world of good" because it would cut down on the nature and spread of viruses and vulnerabilities, but the average person out there isn't cut from the right sort of cloth to do this. Sorry, but that's just reality.

That's funny -- because I have several hundred production systems running Linux.

That being said, you might be right in saying that the average person isn't cut from the cloth to deal with it. A lot of people aren't cut from the right cloth to do a lot of things. However, there are individuals who want to try different things, but might not be aware of the options.

Take it back to the context of music where this street team idea originally came from. You might not like heavy metal music. So if someone promotes a heavy metal band to you, you're not going to go see it. However I might love Heavy Metal, I could have Iron Maiden posters all over my room , and just never have heard of your band. I would go see it if it were promoted to me.

Your argument assumes that Canonical has reached 100% of its potential market saturation in individuals who might be interested in using its product, a scenario I find highly unlikely.

Ms. Daisy
March 12th, 2012, 05:37 AM

First of all- W.O.W. josephmills you have done an amazing amount of volunteer work.:shock: Your business plan is obviously pretty firm, so my input would be pedestrian!

My thoughts are kind of aligned with keithpeter here. I see the effort being possibly successful among receptive audiences like at colleges. I'm struggling to see how Ubuntu would find a substantial audience at, say, a Blossom Music Center Black Eyed Peas concert. Maybe I just lack the creativity to see your vision. Do you have any video from an Ubuntu Street Team event? I got the impression that you've done a few already.

Can you talk a little about how you choose the venues? Are you strictly looking at the attendance numbers? Or are you looking at the interests of the people attending the event as well?

Here's where I'm coming from: you listed E Centre, Camden NJ - Student Environmental Action Coalition. You didn't list the type of festival/concert but it matters. For instance I can see an environmental group being wildly successful at a Phish concert. I can see them being mostly ignored at a monster truck rally.

josephmills
March 12th, 2012, 06:26 AM
yea I dont think that a monstor truck show would be the greatest of ideas. :)

I Think about it like this.just for shows that is as the Ubuntu Street team is way more then just having a booth at a show. There is way way way more stuff going on then just that. Like getting involed with LoCo groups to do SEO work for there sites. Helping Loco Groups by promoting them.

1) are the people going to be relaxed there?
2) how many people ?
3) $$?
4) vending ?
5) what are the rules and how old is the average person

I think that the idea stuck with me after I installed Linux Mint Windows 7 and Ubuntu and fedora on my Girl friends computer (no-tech-ex at all)
In the 1st week she was mostly about ubuntu and 7 she asked me to remove fedora by the end of the week.
2 to 3 weeks later she asked me to remove mint and 7

That is when I knew that ubuntu is for the masses I mean these are her words "could you just have it so ubuntu is installed it is easier to use" I could not believe it.

There are many issue that the community faces like propratry wireless cards and other things. There has been a mass movement in this with jockey and it is getting more and more easy as the days go by.

there are many other things that I would like to talk about but I still think that I need a lawyer 1st. The last thing that I want to do is to get my-self in any troubles.

you are also right about Blossom Music Center I just wanted to put as much stuff up as I could. as fast as I could

I am sorry to say that I do not have any videos. But I have only gone out and handed out cds a couple of times. I did not want to do any of this until I got my Ubuntu membership. (business cards email ect ) So any thing that I have done up to now has been [art of Loco.

There is a attached screen shot of the backend of the website I hope that by tomorrow I will have the basic stuff done. css template and what not.Right now I am working on gettting the menus to look like unity then on to the top bar.

By the way any one can sign in using there Ubuntu SSO Just click the Login tab in the menu on the home page.

Then I will take time to start writing and reaching out to my local friends to help.

until then back to work.

thanks again for all of you support I truly think that you all are get people :KS

josephmills
March 12th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Will think just be Ubuntu or Kubuntu and other flavours as well?

all flavors

Ms. Daisy
March 12th, 2012, 07:17 AM
josephmills, have you seen the New York State Ubuntu Local Community Team (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewYorkTeam) wiki? It says they need a Marketing Lead & Event Coordinator.

I just nominated you!

josephmills
March 12th, 2012, 09:14 AM
This sounds like exactly what a LoCo Team is/does?

yes you are correct it is alot like a Loco team but with no state lines.

And with out the fuss of other member trying to put your ideas down. what I mean by that is Most of the loco member's that I know never want to do anything, and if they do it is local or something compleatly different . Now I know that there are Great Loco teams (I am part of one) but getting every one together and then picking out venue then having people show up from a loco team is a whole different can of worms. So I guess that this is people that are dedicated to the idea and want to go to these concerts (or are already going) as It is impossible to get all loco members on the same page.

So I guess what I am saying is that if I was to keep it as a LoCo group thing It would never work for the reasons stated above.

But saying that I would love nothing more then some of the Loco members to show up and and hang out. at the events. But I could not go to the Oregon country fair and rep Ny LoCo. That would take away from you Loco instead why not call or get ahold of the oregon loco team tell them that the Ubuntu Street Team is on the way. then if people show up there will be Loco there. See what I am saying?
thanks for you input

There is also going to be a section on the web page that is a calender. This calender will have lists of things that are going on that The Ubuntu Street team thinks are worth it. So that people can register there loco teams to do these events. Also there will be a list of all the places that The Ubuntu Street Team will be for other Loco teams to show up and join In .

Joseph

josephmills
March 12th, 2012, 09:20 AM
josephmills, have you seen the New York State Ubuntu Local Community Team (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NewYorkTeam) wiki? It says they need a Marketing Lead & Event Coordinator.

I just nominated you!

Yes I have stepped up to the plate but gotten No where. I have tried to edit that page to say that I am willing and guess what ......
I also think that those event are like bug jams ubuntu jams ubuntu hours (not sure)and getting others togeather that are already involved. I am done with all that and want to do something that effen counts (in my own mind not others)

Also like I said I have other plans but I need a lawyer first

I would like nothing more then to meet other loco members from other states well I am doing these things. But please keep in mind that there is a way way way bigger picture that I can not talk about yet

if you also read this

Sub Teams: Really Local Teams

The New York State Local Team acknowledges that New York State is a large geographic region containing several major cities and the needs of Ubuntu users would be best met by local groups organizing local events

Any person interesting in running a 'really' local team will be able to add their team information to a special page on teams Ubuntu wiki
Every attempt will be made to support the 'really' local teams with resources from the Ubuntu community and Canonical

I also tried this route
https://tbe.taleo.net/NA3/ats/careers/requisition.jsp;jsessionid=39F548F13C3ADF25DDFAD84 5CA3458A8.NA3_primary_jvm?org=CANONICAL&cws=1&rid=304

https://tbe.taleo.net/NA3/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=CANONICAL&cws=1&rid=349

cprofitt
March 12th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Yes I have stepped up to the plate but gotten No where. I have tried to edit that page to say that I am willing and guess what ......

What are you interested in doing Joseph?

I also think that those event are like bug jams ubuntu jams ubuntu hours (not sure)and getting others togeather that are already involved. I am done with all that and want to do something that effen counts (in my own mind not others)

Any type of event can be run... As a member of the New York Team you should be able schedule an event on loco.ubuntu.com w/o any approval required.

We have talked on IRC and I think the idea of going to public events is a good one. Having people with experience getting through the red tape of getting a table, booth, etc is also a good idea that can be shared across LoCo teams.

It will be interesting to see this grow.

Ms. Daisy
March 12th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Think about it this way- the LoCo teams exist in many many communities already, and they consist of dedicated Ubuntu enthusiasts. I'm sure you'll find some willing folks outside of the LoCos but IMHO you won't find a more willing large mass of volunteers than in the LoCo groups. So it seems to me that if you can convince a few of the LoCo teams to join you, then you'll really get this thing off the ground. If you're striking out with the New York group, definitely talk to some other ones. If your goal is to go national then you'll want to convince all of them anyway. But IMHO if you don't use the already existing infrastructure then you're really missing out on a huge pool of really likely volunteers. I'll even go so far as to say that if you don't use the existing structure then you're defeating yourself.

And without the fuss of other member trying to put your ideas down. In any volunteer organization, the reality is you're going to have differing opinions. It's an inescapable fact. You can let it defeat you or you can choose to use the criticism you receive to strengthen your position. For instance, bkerenza said it sounds like what a LoCo team does. Your response can be "Yes! if you're part of one, join me. I hope to get all the LoCo teams support."

Maybe the New York team just isn't seeing the vision, kind of like me. The website looks like a good start. Maybe if you can post a few potential events with all the details on how it would work, then they could see the potential. I still don't quite understand what kind of venues you're talking about so an example one (or a potential real one) on the website would really crystallize your vision.

Just my 2 cents.

Ms. Daisy
March 12th, 2012, 01:31 PM
psst... cprofitt is part of the LoCo New York team ;)

josephmills
March 12th, 2012, 02:06 PM
thanks all your comments they are greatly appreciated. I am trying to get a hold of someone that cprofit pointed in my direction. Maybe he can help clear the water. But it is kinda like this. the Ubuntu Street Team uses all of there resources that they have to set up as many things as they can.

there will be a calender on the site in the next couple of days explaining events and what not.

The Ubuntu Street team is there to Help out Loco teams by providing them with sources to spread the word. along with many other things(still lawyer arghhhh!!!)

Put it like this

Lets take a look at bonnaroo
This is in Tennessee USA
I think that like 70,000 or more people go to bonnaroo
Small time vending can be done here for about $300.00 usd this is one of the more $ ones

So what the Ubuntu street Team would/is doing Is to set up relations with the people at bonnaroo and see how much they get in the door for.
After that post it on the site calender with all the facts about the place.
Contact the LoCo team that is close to Bonnaroo with a message about where they can meet up at with the Ubuntu Street Team. If at all

Then Ubuntu Street team would be there to help. show the ropes so to say.
The booth would 100% rep the LoCo team and would be trying to promote the LoCo teams.

There is no way that The Ubuntu Street team can make it to each event as some of them are on the same day. but what we can do is set up a calender that has all the information to help the loco teams. IE who to get a hold of what to expect. Is it child friendly. are there issue's ,how much does it cost.does it get hot there? is there trees for shade ect the list goes on and on.

I hope that that is clearing it up some.

On a side note I talked to cprofitt on IRC and we are going to try and set something up. Also I am now head of marketing For the New York LoCo.

See The Ubuntu Street team wants no fame no money no perks. they just want to help and organize.

Joseph

Roasted
March 12th, 2012, 02:49 PM
That's funny -- because I have several hundred production systems running Linux.

*snip*

I'd like to x2 this comment. We have several hundred systems at work that is beginning to replace our OSX fleet. So far things are working out pretty awesome. Even as a Linux enthusiast, I'm surprised how well it's going. Some users have even commented that they want to install what we're running at home. Win. :D

About the original topic, I think this is pretty much awesome. Good luck and kudos to the work already invested!

Ms. Daisy
March 12th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Also I am now head of marketing For the New York LoCo.
Perfect! :KS

Ms. Daisy
March 12th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I wonder if the Ubuntu Marketing Team would have any information about who the target audience for Ubuntu is, and where they are highly concentrated. I sent them an email inquiring.

josephmills
March 12th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I wonder if the Ubuntu Marketing Team would have any information about who the target audience for Ubuntu is, and where they are highly concentrated. I sent them an email inquiring.

Dear Ms Daisy ....
you :guitar:

Thanks,
Joseph

danceswithcats
March 26th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I'm planning to go to a rather wonderful music festival this summer and would be delighted to spend some time being a bit evangelical. How would we set it up?

durrenmatt
May 21st, 2012, 12:20 PM
This is a great initiative! I'm looking forward to see the impact of your efforts! Good luck!

thatguruguy
May 21st, 2012, 12:57 PM
Is this sponsored or in any way condoned by Canonical?

Ms. Daisy
May 23rd, 2012, 04:25 AM
The Ubuntu Marketing Team is defunct.
Good to know. Perhaps it's off-topic, but what does Ubuntu do to market itself without a marketing team?

Triblaze
May 24th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Sounds like an awesome idea.

But what happens if it doesn't work/has problems? On people's computers. Point is, I didn't read this over too quickly, skimming here and there, but in addition to LiveCDs, you should also include a little pamphlet or something with information. Basic setup stuff, "What is Ubuntu?", some post-install tips/overview, a few perks of using Ubuntu, as well as links to the Ubuntu site or places like here where they can get help and find out more. Simply passing out LiveCDs could be really good, but they need something more to know exactly what they're doing, why it's good, and where they can get help if they need it.

josephmills
May 24th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Sounds like an awesome idea.

But what happens if it doesn't work/has problems? On people's computers. Point is, I didn't read this over too quickly, skimming here and there, but in addition to LiveCDs, you should also include a little pamphlet or something with information. Basic setup stuff, "What is Ubuntu?", some post-install tips/overview, a few perks of using Ubuntu, as well as links to the Ubuntu site or places like here where they can get help and find out more. Simply passing out LiveCDs could be really good, but they need something more to know exactly what they're doing, why it's good, and where they can get help if they need it.

Yup you are correct on this.

so In my spare time I go to stores in the area and give them a couple of cds and also all the information that they could use including ubuntu advantage.

As A far as some updates on the team. I have gotten 2 more people that go to alot concerts and they are willing to hand out 5 per-show (that is all I can give them).

Web site I have not touched in a little while as I have been super busy with other things.

I would like to say that I am happy that this has been picking up over the last couple of days.

Please keep in mind that Ubuntu Street Team is not out to take things away from loco teams. We want to help loco teams by giving them information that only can be had by people that have been doing this for years. Or that have lived a CC life style and know how to hustle (in a good way).

Please also try to keep in mind that the Ubuntu Street Team has no structure no leaders and if you would like to be a part of the Ubuntu Street team, then you are already.

If anyone is going to shows and need live cds and or some perk-packs just give a pm message or put it here and I will try too get back too you asap or someone else from the team will thanks again and summer is coming and This means that it is time to go to some shows and have fun.

josephmills
June 2nd, 2012, 09:39 PM
Adding flow charts on how the system works

Rough 5 Year Plan
http://ubuntustreetteam.tk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/5year-UBST.png

Getting Ubuntu into stores Model

http://ubuntustreetteam.tk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/intostores-UBST.png

Working with Loco for events

http://ubuntustreetteam.tk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/handsUBST.png

Getting Ubuntu into public areas in the USA

http://ubuntustreetteam.tk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/schools-UBST.png

If you think that you can fill any of these roles please by all means contact me.

Other news we are working on picking up new stores working very close (as we can) with the Whole Ubuntu Community.

Thanks for any interest

Joseph

josephmills
June 2nd, 2012, 09:49 PM
I'm planning to go to a rather wonderful music festival this summer and would be delighted to spend some time being a bit evangelical. How would we set it up?

If you are still intrested there are many ways to do this but the best is to either pm a list of show that you are going to or. write it here. I will then call all the locos(and others) in that area and try to get supplies and people too join you. Thanks for you interest in Ubuntu Street