PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nothing works.

Spewed
March 10th, 2012, 02:55 AM
I have been trying to install themes for my version of Ubuntu 11.10. Apparently nothing works. I've downloaded Gnome as well, apparently it does not switch. Any commands I enter or copy and paste simply FAIL. The entire idea of theming my Ubuntu is becoming redundant entirely. Linux was supposed to be about customization? There are very few options to customize with Untiy. I did however install a theme called Swar-Red, and it managed to be the ONLY theme that would work. Unfortunately I'm finding no additional themes that work as Sward-Red worked for me. I've installed Gnome shell extensions, Gnome Tweak Tool, Even the Gnome desktop environment to no avail, when I open up Gnome Tweak Tool, it still shows a yellow indicator showing that Shell extensions are not possible.

I went on the Gnone 3.2 thread installed tons of tweaks, or add-ons assuming it may work.. No, of course not. Of course they download and take up space on my hard drive, but they don't work, there is no sign of them working. Apparently, I can't even switch to Gnome? I did the terminal command and changed my user profile to Gnome.. Log out and back in, nothing has changed other than my log-in splash screen. Changed to some Debian screen rather than the usual Ubuntu screen. But when I log in, it's clearly Unity?

I'm new to Linux, but seriously.. Following things to a T, copy and pasting terminal commands and nothing? Not a single working theme, or change other than Swar-Red? I don't understand. what could I be doing wrong? Or are Gnome shells simply no longer available in Ubuntu due to the Gnome Tweak Tool being updated, or gnome being updated? Would switching to 12.04 offer me any more ease of doing this?

Anyway, here is a screen shot of my current desktop. http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy175/Spewed/Screenshotat2012-03-09194457.png

Marzata
March 11th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Just install Xubuntu. There everything works!

hrickh
March 11th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Would switching to 12.04 offer me any more ease of doing this?

For what it's worth, I've installed 12.04 and have had really good luck with Gnome 3/Gnome Shell.

I've had problems with Unity though.

R.
==

Bucky Ball
March 11th, 2012, 07:40 AM
You are logging out, selecting the desired desktop environment from 'Session' pop up menu then logging back in?

If you would like to try the xfce desktop environment (DON'T install xubuntu-desktop as that drags in a ton of stuff you don't need right now) simply install xfce4 from Software Centre, log out, choose 'xfce session' from Sessions pop-up then log back in again.

12.04 LTS is unreleased and not advisable as still testing; expect breakages. Not a good choice for a newcomer.

Marzata
March 11th, 2012, 07:42 AM
xubuntu-desktop gives you much more possibilities and control. This is the option that really works.

2F4U
March 11th, 2012, 07:44 AM
It shouldn't be too difficult to install Gnome 3 on Ubuntu. The web is full of tutorials and here are just two of them:

http://techhamlet.com/2011/10/install-gnome-shell-in-ubuntu-11-10/
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-gnome-shell-in-ubuntu-11-10-oneiric-ocelot.html

You select Gnome 3 at the login window, as shown in the tutorials.

Bucky Ball
March 11th, 2012, 07:46 AM
xubuntu-desktop gives you much more possibilities and control. This is the option that really works.

It also gives ALL the apps, progs, dependencies, some duplications, an overstuffed hard drive and on some machines a slow down and possible unexpected headaches. OP has full install of Ubuntu already. Doesn't need. If you are going to install xubuntu-desktop, install Xubuntu directly instead of Ubuntu. Faster and a better option all round.

OP only needs DE = install xfce4. They can then install Xfce themes which is what the OP is asking about as desktop themes is their current issue, not Ubuntu per se. ;)