PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] General newbie advice needed

frontman555
March 9th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Hi folks,
I have had a go with ubuntu 10.10 in the past and found it hard work but having gone back to XP decided to give it another try.
Now I'm looking forward to putting in some time and effort.

Initially I was using 10.10, on returning to the fold I downloaded 11.10 and have had a few teething problems, this along with my lack of knowledge has made me wonder if I would be better going with 10.10 as it seems more stable at this point.

Any ideas please & is 10.10 avaliable

Cheers.

PS; Apologies to actionparsnip for not getting back re my previous post, I tried your suggestion with no luck and went on to try various things from the forum posts.

papibe
March 9th, 2012, 10:55 PM
If you're not in a hurry, I would advice you to wait a little bit and get the 'Long Term Support' 12.04 version when available.

Just a thought.
Regards.

frontman555
March 9th, 2012, 11:33 PM
If you're not in a hurry, I would advice you to wait a little bit and get the 'Long Term Support' 12.04 version when available.

Just a thought.
Regards.

Cheers for the reply, I will certainty have a look into it.

jerrrys
March 10th, 2012, 02:34 AM

Just a thought.
Regards.

Got my vote, but if you cant wait then try Oneiric 11.10.

10.10 is based on gnome2 and gnome2 is being phased out. 11.10 is based on gnome3 and is very much like 12.04. And should be an easy upgrade when 12.04 comes out.

grahammechanical
March 10th, 2012, 02:42 AM
This is what Mark Shuttleworth says about the up coming 12.04

We’ve known for a long time that free software is beautiful on the inside – efficient, accurate, flexible, modifiable. For the past three years, we’ve been leading the push to make free software beautiful on the outside too – easy to use, visually pleasing and exciting.

I agree with him. I hope you do to.

Regards.